Sponsored

My truck was unable to DC fast charge! Briefly stuck in CA.

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

So left Flagstaff this morning to head back home to Oregon.

Made two charging stops in AZ on my way to CA. Stopped in Barstow CA to charge at the EA station but couldn’t get my R1T to start charging.

EA was no help. Waiting on engineering support at Rivian…. At a 6.6kW slow charger but with the AC running and the battery management I don’t seem to be getting any range added at all.

Did I mention that it is 102F outside and Ive got 14 miles of range and 15 hours from home.

Done venting… wish me luck everyone!

Edit: Update and Summary.

Truck wouldn’t DC fast charge, would get the below “Unplug and try again“ message.

Atempted to DC charge on at least 6 EA stations and 1 CP 62.5kW. It was able to take 6.6kW at a L2 charger but with the 102 heat between the batteries thermal management and the interior AC I was breaking even.

Attempted solutions:
- Sleep cycle - Was rejected due to heat.
- Infotainment reset - Was not effective
- Hard Reset did the trick (Hold left most steering button and hazards button simultaneously for 15s). Credit @godfodder0901 and the Rivian service team.

Dog (Kooper), R1T and myself safely further north and in cooler temps.

Rivian R1T R1S My truck was unable to DC fast charge!  Briefly stuck in CA. 3133B56B-2630-4F69-9C3F-A9277AB4EFDE

Rivian R1T R1S My truck was unable to DC fast charge!  Briefly stuck in CA. C9A5F6FE-EC4F-4F83-B178-2E2F48685AF6
Sponsored

Last edited:

RWerksman

Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T
GOBBLESS BORTHER!!1

I'm sorry you're in the predicament. Tried other chargers are the station? No other DCFC in range?

Lawrence-of-Blaine

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A6, GMC Envoy, Nissan 350Z
Occupation
Photographer/Artist
Clubs

Made two charging stops in AZ on my way to CA. Stopped in Barstow CA to charge at the EA station but couldn’t get my R1T to start charging.

EA was no help. Waiting on engineering support at Rivian…. At a 6.6kW slow charger but with the AC running and the battery management I don’t seem to be getting any range added at all.

Did I mention that it is 102F outside and Ive got 14 miles of range and 15 hours from home.

Good luck, GodSpeed, and may ALL of the forces be with you! And…always carry lots of water??

OP
OP
jjswan33

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

GOBBLESS BORTHER!!1

I'm sorry you're in the predicament. Tried other chargers are the station? No other DCFC in range?
Yeah I tried 6 or so of the 8 chargers including the one being used by a Bolt when I pulled in with no luck. Just get an error message on the truck “Unplug and try again”

There is some 62.5kW CP stations about 7-10 miles away but with 14 miles of conserve range it seems risky. Will hang tight until Rivian support calls back.

OP
OP
jjswan33

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Good luck, GodSpeed, and may ALL of the forces be with you! And…always carry lots of water??
Thanks. Yeah I‘ve got plenty of water and some other liquid and food as well.

Mostly worried about my 85lb black dog if I have to leave the truck, at least the slow charger is at a hotel if I really needed I have a backup plan.

Maybe when it gets dark and cools down the truck will charge 🤷‍♂️

Sponsored

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Yeah I tried 6 or so of the 8 chargers including the one being used by a Bolt when I pulled in with no luck. Just get an error message on the truck “Unplug and try again”

There is some 62.5kW CP stations about 7-10 miles away but with 14 miles of conserve range it seems risky. Will hang tight until Rivian support calls back.
Bummer, hope it is something simple they can handle remotely.

Good Luck, let us know how it turns out.

OP
OP
jjswan33

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Congrats - I know we said you hit the lottery but it's nice to see delivery went smoothly and you have your truck! You are definitely the luckiest preorder in Southern California - I hope your luck continues and you enjoy the truck!
Umm.. I think you meant to post this on another thread…. Definitely not the luckiest R1T owner in So Cal

ironpig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2015 4Runner, 1975 FJ55 Land Cruiser
Umm.. I think you meant to post this on another thread…. Definitely not the luckiest R1T owner in So Cal
woah that's weird - I posted that in the other thread. sorry!

Sponsored

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
Try a full system restart. Left side of the left thumb button and the hazard button for 10-15 seconds...

OP
OP
jjswan33

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Try a full system restart. Left side of the left thumb button and the hazard button for 10-15 seconds...
Rivian had me do a soft reset and that didn’t work. Took my 11 miles of range and drove to a CP station 7 miles away and got the same error.

Rivian had me do what you suggested and I am now able to DC fast charge, currently 28kW. Hopefully I can get enough juice here and get back to the EA station and then get some faster charging and get back on the road..

ja_kub_sz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 LR Discovery, 2019 LR Range Rover Velar

Yup... Welcome to the word of EV's.

Imagine if you had spent 115k for said vehicle and it was the night before Thanksgiving.

That was my Model S nightmare back in 2016. Makes you kinda ask yourself "are we really there yet"?

Safe travels and hope you make it home safe.

Find a RV/semi truck plug in somewhere near by would be my best advice.

SASSquatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i3s Ford C-Max Hybrid
Occupation
Semi-Autonomous Yeti
Clubs

Rivian had me do a soft reset and that didn’t work. Took my 11 miles of range and drove to a CP station 7 miles away and got the same error.

Rivian had me do what you suggested and I am now able to DC fast charge, currently 28kW. Hopefully I can get enough juice here and get back to the EA station and then get some faster charging and get back on the road..
You are living the nightmare EV charging situation and I feel for you! Hopefully the hard reset got you charging again and you and your pup are safe and back on the road.

Safe travels.

Max

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Truck
get an error message on the truck “Unplug and try again”
@OutofSpecKyle was saying in one of his videos he changed the sequence and timing of dealing with the charging screen and plugging in to avoid timing out (my memory is foggy on what exactly he did). I have no idea if this is same type of problem (never owned an EV). Kyle if you are reading this and have a tip please share.
Sponsored

Last edited: