First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
Not to quibble, but according to the Service Team, all outer body panels, including the side panels in question, are a composite of aluminum and carbon fiber. That jives with my memory from visiting the factory last Summer.

After the sheets were stamped into full side panels (four pressings for each), they were easily handled by two people. When examining the panels as they hung on the racks (as pictured previously), they seemed to look and sound like aluminum, as well.
It's pretty clear from this picture that it is one piece aluminum. If the quarter panel was steel, they would not be carrying it like that.
Rivian R1T R1S MY TRUCK WAS REAR ENDED 1652752336413
Sponsored

kneebuster

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Hyundai Tucson Plug-in Hybrid
Occupation
Professor
It's pretty clear from this picture that it is one piece aluminum. If the quarter panel was steel, they would not be carrying it like that.
1652752336413.png
Well, a magnet sticks to mine, but not any of the other body panels. Unless they came up with some sort of magnetic aluminum I've not heard of, or they are using magnetic paint in that region only, I'll go with steel.

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

Well, a magnet sticks to mine, but not any of the other body panels. Unless they came up with some sort of magnetic aluminum I've not heard of, or they are using magnetic paint in that region only, I'll go with steel.
Kneebuster,

I was so convinced that I was right, I went out in the garage, driveway, and curbside at 10:30 tonight, Hell-bent to prove my point. I tested all of the exposed regions of that single piece (pictured partially above), with two very different magnets. I found a somewhat weak magnetic attraction (more on that later) to the bed sidewalls, roofline sides, and the inside doorframes. Nothing on the front quarters or any of the moving pieces or front roofline.

Then I stuck the same two magnets on four of my other cars. All four had a much stronger "thud" as the magnet connected to the skin on all but the hood of one (it's aluminum).

Then I got to thinking about my earlier comment about that part being a single piece from bumper to bumper. I used to know better. I came back in from the garage and started looking for photos from my visit to the factory last year. I found the pictures below. The front quarter panel clearly is not a part of that panel. It is a separate component.

I can't remember where I read it earlier today, but somewhere is the comment that the rolls that those panels are stamped from are comprised of an alloy/mixture of steel, aluminum, and carbon fiber. During my call to the Service Center, I was told it is a combination that includes aluminum and carbon fiber. That's on me for not also confirming that steel may/must be a part of that recipe.

Unless there is steel resting directly under every portion of that panel (not likely at all), I have to agree with you that it must be in the material from which the bodyside panels are stamped. I used both a weak refrigerator calendar magnet, and a strong magnet that makes up the base of flashlight, one that allows the user hands-free illumination while checking the blinker fluid at night, with the unit clinging to the vehicle's skin. The fridge magnet was barely sticking to the vertical surfaces, while it annoyingly clung to the upright surfaces on all of the other vehicles.

The stronger magnet on the flashlight almost made it jump out off my hands when it got close to the surface of the other vehicles. My Volvo was the first test. It may never forgive me.

Accordingly, I must apologize for my mistake in questioning your call. Clearly, there's at least some steel in those panels. I will say to you what I should also say to my Volvo, "I hope you can forgive me". As my Volvo might say to me, as I approach with another flashlight, "I hope you won't hold it against me".

Thank you!

Rivian R1T R1S MY TRUCK WAS REAR ENDED 20210729_105035
Rivian R1T R1S MY TRUCK WAS REAR ENDED 20210729_105200

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Kneebuster,

I was so convinced that I was right, I went out in the garage, driveway, and curbside at 10:30 tonight, Hell-bent to prove my point. I tested all of the exposed regions of that single piece (pictured partially above), with two very different magnets. I found a somewhat weak magnetic attraction (more on that later) to the bed sidewalls, roofline sides, and the inside doorframes. Nothing on the front quarters or any of the moving pieces or front roofline.

Then I stuck the same two magnets on four of my other cars. All four had a much stronger "thud" as the magnet connected to the skin on all but the hood of one (it's aluminum).

Then I got to thinking about my earlier comment about that part being a single piece from bumper to bumper. I used to know better. I came back in from the garage and started looking for photos from my visit to the factory last year. I found the pictures below. The front quarter panel clearly is not a part of that panel. It is a separate component.

I can't remember where I read it earlier today, but somewhere is the comment that the rolls that those panels are stamped from are comprised of an alloy/mixture of steel, aluminum, and carbon fiber. During my call to the Service Center, I was told it is a combination that includes aluminum and carbon fiber. That's on me for not also confirming that steel may/must be a part of that recipe.

Unless there is steel resting directly under every portion of that panel (not likely at all), I have to agree with you that it must be in the material from which the bodyside panels are stamped. I used both a weak refrigerator calendar magnet, and a strong magnet that makes up the base of flashlight, one that allows the user hands-free illumination while checking the blinker fluid at night, with the unit clinging to the vehicle's skin. The fridge magnet was barely sticking to the vertical surfaces, while it annoyingly clung to the upright surfaces on all of the other vehicles.

The stronger magnet on the flashlight almost made it jump out off my hands when it got close to the surface of the other vehicles. My Volvo was the first test. It may never forgive me.

Accordingly, I must apologize for my mistake in questioning your call. Clearly, there's at least some steel in those panels. I will say to you what I should also say to my Volvo, "I hope you can forgive me". As my Volvo might say to me, as I approach with another flashlight, "I hope you won't hold it against me".

Thank you!

20210729_105035.jpg
20210729_105200.jpg
There are quite a few different Aluminum-Iron alloys. I have no idea how it welds or what filler material to use as I've never run into it in a situation where I've needed to.

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
Kneebuster,

Thank you!

20210729_105035.jpg
20210729_105200.jpg
There are also steel components directly behind the aluminum alloy body which could be affecting the magnetic field. In this assembly picture you can see the steel subframe the body sits on, and there is a large piece of steel at the rear quarter panel. There was a video here, since taken down, that showed the replacement of the rear cross frame member. Sparks were flying, indicating it was steel.

Rivian R1T R1S MY TRUCK WAS REAR ENDED 1652789103023

Sponsored

AltaTruck

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda RX8, R1T, Alta EXR (road) , Alta EXR (woods)
Occupation
Retired Science teacher
That being said, if steel is used, is it going to be advisable to get the R1T rustproofed? I am in the PA rust belt!

kneebuster

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Hyundai Tucson Plug-in Hybrid
Occupation
Professor
Kneebuster,

Thank you!

20210729_105035.jpg
20210729_105200.jpg
Absolutely no apologies necessary. I had looked at pics and thought aluminum, but figured the easiest way to test, once I had my truck, was with a magnet. It's the same thing I'd tell my students to do. I agree that the magnetic attraction was weaker than I'd expect compared to the typical car.

I'm not aware of any aluminum/steel alloys in automotive use, much less one with carbon fiber in it. Maybe they are using this stuff? New Lightweight Aluminum-Steel Alloy Rivals Titanium in Strength (treehugger.com). All Rivian has to say on the issue is rather generic, Rivian - Body Structures, and I think they'd tout such an exotic material if it was being used.

I'd been looking at a company that makes removable paint protection for off-roading, but they use magnetic force to hold their sheets in place. No go for most of the Rivian. Back to considering PPF.

Again, no apologies or forgiveness required.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
Keep in mind that aluminum is paramagnetic. Not sure that’s enough to cause a magnet to stick but there will be some attraction.

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

Absolutely no apologies necessary. I had looked at pics and thought aluminum, but figured the easiest way to test, once I had my truck, was with a magnet. It's the same thing I'd tell my students to do. I agree that the magnetic attraction was weaker than I'd expect compared to the typical car.

I'm not aware of any aluminum/steel alloys in automotive use, much less one with carbon fiber in it. Maybe they are using this stuff? New Lightweight Aluminum-Steel Alloy Rivals Titanium in Strength (treehugger.com). All Rivian has to say on the issue is rather generic, Rivian - Body Structures, and I think they'd tout such an exotic material if it was being used.

I'd been looking at a company that makes removable paint protection for off-roading, but they use magnetic force to hold their sheets in place. No go for most of the Rivian. Back to considering PPF.

Again, no apologies or forgiveness required.
Kneebuster,

Thanks for all of that. After all that fun yesterday and the grand experiment of late last night, I just called the Service Center again to seek clarification. What I was told is "The body structures are made from various steels, up to, and including ultra high-strength grade aluminum alloys and carbon fiber." That in itself doesn't tell me exactly why magnets will stick weakly to that piece, but I feel at peace on this subject, and it was a fun series of tests last night.

Now, all I have to do is explain to my neighbors why I was outside late, skulking around my own cars, and sticking flashlights to them while muttering to myself and lighting up the entire neighborhood. That said, they've seen stranger things from me and my nightowl tendencies. When one of them came outside and asked what I was doing, I apparently put his mind at ease by exclaiming "Robots!! Robots!!". He must have been pleased with that answer, because he simply turned around, walked back inside, and locked his door loudly enough for me to hear it from across the street.

Please feel free to reach out if I may be of any assistance regarding PPF. I'm much better informed on that subject than I am on magnetic flashlights, aluminum alloys, and neighbor-relation dynamics. 😉

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Unfortunately you can't claim diminished value in California. I think its only possible to do that in a few states.
In OR you can but only if you are not at fault. For example when I got rear ended in my Honda Ridgeline I got an extra $2k payment that I had to negotiate with their insurance company.

Last edited:

Sponsored

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Unfortunately you can't claim diminished value in California. I think its only possible to do that in a few states.
You cannot claim it through the insurance company but you do have three years to try to recover it directly from the person who was at fault in the accident.

AllInev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prius V, R1T
Honestly thats not bad considering, I guess thats our version of swedens "MOOSE" test. Glad you are alright.
Speaking of the “Moose” test, has anyone seen an R1 tested?

Ralph

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Outback
Speaking of the “Moose” test, has anyone seen an R1 tested?
Thanks for posting that.

I find it interesting that he says (beginning at 6:51) that a 1999 Citroen Xantia sedan has the record in that test; beating supercars that are "tuned for longer corners".

Even more interesting was his explanation, "First of all, the car has a computer controlled active suspension system. Which was said to offer, roll free, F1 style corning like the famous Williams FW14b. A car that used hydraulic suspension that could adapt to every corner on a circuit........."

turbome

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
I don't believe you are correct. I am also in CA and have a few collector cars. They are insured with an agreed value policy which I know is not the same but depending on the vehicle and the carrier diminished value is real even in CA. Obviously the R1T is not a collector car (for now) so maybe it wouldn't apply but a repaired Rivian with an accident is not worth the same as one that has not been repaired.

turbome

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
I feel your pain, had mine 2 weeks and 2 days, now waiting again

PXL_20220415_193354200 (1).jpg
I saw someone ask but I didn't see you respond so if you did I apologize....was there any auto emergency braking from the R1T? I would hope so but seems like if so, the trucks sensors would have seen the bovine even at night and alerted you or started auto braking.
Sponsored