MY TRUCK WAS REAR ENDED

SFsoundguy

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Lucid Air Touring
I don't believe you are correct. I am also in CA and have a few collector cars. They are insured with an agreed value policy which I know is not the same but depending on the vehicle and the carrier diminished value is real even in CA. Obviously the R1T is not a collector car (for now) so maybe it wouldn't apply but a repaired Rivian with an accident is not worth the same as one that has not been repaired.
I too have all my cars insured at agreed value but that only works if its totaled not if its damaged. Ive had many cars old and new and Ive had to deal with insurance here in CA a few times all no fault claims. I had a brand new Jeep Grand Cherokee t-boned while parked just a week after I bought it. The repairs took 4 months (rental car bill was over 20k) and the insurance would not discuss diminished value because I was in CA but they would cover and pay for everything else, the day I picked up the car I immediately took it to a dealer traded it in and bought a new car I still took a hit on the value as new but did get blue book value as the car was declared full repaired as new!.
Sponsored

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

Been there, done that! in a 96 F-150....many many moons ago...
Dave,

I don't mean to milk this theme past its expiration date, but were you meaning "many mooooons ago" with your comment about your F-150 buying the farm when the cow kicked the bucket and went t**s up?

Sorry if that last comment is outside the pail for anyone. I don't want to hide from the fact that some may sour over my words.

OK, I butter put myself out to pasture now.... 🐄

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Dave,

I don't mean to milk this theme past its expiration date, but were you meaning "many mooooons ago" with your comment about your F-150 buying the farm when the cow kicked the bucket and went t**s up?

Sorry if that last comment is outside the pail for anyone. I don't want to hide from the fact that some may sour over my words.

OK, I butter put myself out to pasture now.... 🐄
Oh man! I thought I was pretty good at puns, but just got cream-ated. 🤣.

clay

First Name
Clay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy 2500 4wd
Occupation
Home builder
I saw someone ask but I didn't see you respond so if you did I apologize....was there any auto emergency braking from the R1T? I would hope so but seems like if so, the trucks sensors would have seen the bovine even at night and alerted you or started auto braking.
It happened really fast, I never got my foot to the brake till we were stopped, I think, hit by the airbag kinda knock me silly for a second but was stopped immediately

eggpaul

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Chevy Volt, 2021 Acura TLX
Occupation
Business Owner
I doubt there is any steel/aluminum alloy. At my shop we have a separate aluminum repair station with separate tools. Any mixing can cause galvanic corrosion. If the magnet is Sticking, that panel is steel. Quarter panel is repairable. No need to do such an invasive repair by cutting it and welding. Tailgate should be replaced.

Sponsored

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
I doubt there is any steel/aluminum alloy. At my shop we have a separate aluminum repair station with separate tools. Any mixing can cause galvanic corrosion. If the magnet is Sticking, that panel is steel. Quarter panel is repairable. No need to do such an invasive repair by cutting it and welding. Tailgate should be replaced.
my Land Rover has steel parts riveted directly to aluminum parts…before painting. Guess what happens 🫠

When I was designing aluminum trailers,the solution to galvanic corrosion between the steel axle and aluminum body was to put Mylar tape on the axle where it contacted the body. Worked great.

anyway the sides definitely don’t look like steel, but there could be steel substructure the magnet is sticking to in places.

Trandall

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2023 Mach-E
Occupation
Construction Management
I'm intrigued by this body panel composition question. This aluminum/ iron/ nickel alloy I just read about (thanks @kneebuster) seems cool and maybe Rivian is using it. Their description of it certainly sounds similar. I see that Sandy Monro is beginning his teardown, anyone have a contact for him to tip him off to get the scoop?

stumptown85

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Outback, XC60, Dakota
Occupation
Engineer
I'm intrigued by this body panel composition question. This aluminum/ iron/ nickel alloy I just read about (thanks @kneebuster) seems cool and maybe Rivian is using it. Their description of it certainly sounds similar. I see that Sandy Monro is beginning his teardown, anyone have a contact for him to tip him off to get the scoop?
Somebody should get him to expose the alloy and use an XRF gun on it to get the composition. That would end this debate.

andisimose

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW Atlas
Clubs

My Brother in Law works for one of Rivian's aluminum suppliers. I sent him this thread and he indicated that there is a small amount of iron in their alloy that could account for whats being discussed here around magnets. Although he wasn't sure what their aluminum is being used for in the Rivian.

Don

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, White, Forest Edge, 22” Brights
Occupation
Mechanical, Engineering, Technician for Navy (Undersea Warfare)Retired

Sponsored

Rivian101

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Raptor
Hey sorry about your trucks guys...I feel your pain waited over 3 years as well. I had mine for 4 weeks and was sideswiped. Its been over three weeks now still sitting at the authorized Nor Cal Rivian body shop waiting for parts. Rivian has not been responsive still no ETA on several major parts in need of a tie rod, front fender, door panel etc. Any luck with parts for your trucks?

Dirty_B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Sales
Absolutely no apologies necessary. I had looked at pics and thought aluminum, but figured the easiest way to test, once I had my truck, was with a magnet. It's the same thing I'd tell my students to do. I agree that the magnetic attraction was weaker than I'd expect compared to the typical car.

I'm not aware of any aluminum/steel alloys in automotive use, much less one with carbon fiber in it. Maybe they are using this stuff? New Lightweight Aluminum-Steel Alloy Rivals Titanium in Strength (treehugger.com). All Rivian has to say on the issue is rather generic, Rivian - Body Structures, and I think they'd tout such an exotic material if it was being used.

I'd been looking at a company that makes removable paint protection for off-roading, but they use magnetic force to hold their sheets in place. No go for most of the Rivian. Back to considering PPF.

Again, no apologies or forgiveness required.
As far as I know, not a materials science guy, there is no such thing as steel/aluminum with 'carbon fiber in it'. It would be steel/aluminum with carbon fiber bonded to it. Two totally different things I think. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
Sponsored