Sponsored

MountainBikeDude

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 El Cap Quad Motor R1T (Selling the Xterra)
Clubs

After three long years of waiting, we finally took delivery a week ago! She’s a beaut, but we had a few minor issues (transporter damage) to sort out, so the truck was back in the shop Thursday/Friday.

This weekend was our first real outing with the truck in ship shape and some activities planned! The wife, dog, and I headed over to Leavenworth and Wenatchee for a quiet weekend away with some backpacking and mountain biking.

D7F42F68-23A5-4EDD-81C4-0486A5F84BFE.jpeg

I absolutely love everything about the truck, except for this one thing…

932A24A2-BF7D-4F01-9BFF-0A0781D5252A.jpeg

I took a spill mountain biking on Saturday and broke my right ankle. Jury is out on whether I need surgery, but in any case I won’t be driving for 2-3 months 🤦‍♂️

It’s just sitting there, taunting me…
Giant Reign Advanced?
Sponsored

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
Haha, what truly matters! Seems ok, I rode it out the last mile or so from the crash. Broke my new Peak Design phone mount though - I gotta say I’m impressed, the mount never let go of the phone even after the aluminum arm sheared clean through!

Sage Hills in Wenatchee. Nothing hardcore - still haven’t quite figured out how I went down.

Yikes! Hope he has a swifter recovery. At least if it was my wrists I’d have an excuse for sick leave 😂
Is your bike ok??

OP
OP
kylealden

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Tesla Model Y, Zero DSR/X, '69 CJ5
Occupation
Product Management

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles

MountainBikeDude

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

Close! Giant Trance X 29 2.

Seems ok!
Bah... hahaha

I have a Reign SX 27.5. It had been stolen and parted out prior to me recovering the frame. So gave me an excuse to update $$$$ the components.

Win Win!.... I think 🤔

Sponsored

moosehead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 Ioniq 5, ‘78 Jeep Wagoneer
Well played OP. Love the sheit eating grin despite the crutches. Heal fast.

MountainBikeDude

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

Close! Giant Trance X 29 2.

Seems ok!
Also, I have a Kuat rack as well currently that will likely make its way onto my Rivian. I'm curious if in the flat position (ready for bikes) can the tail gate go down, or do you have to tilt the rack all the way down.

In both instances I mean without bikes on the rack.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Also, I have a Kuat rack as well currently that will likely make its way onto my Rivian. I'm curious if in the flat position (ready for bikes) can the tail gate go down, or do you have to tilt the rack all the way down.

The tailgate comes down into the license plate area a bit.

thrill

First Name
billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
i3s, (r1t)
Seems Rivian (and customers) would be better of delivering these individually in an enclosed car trailer.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Seems Rivian (and customers) would be better of delivering these individually in an enclosed car trailer.
They could use high-end enclosed transport as done by Porsche and others, like Reliable. Volume wouldn’t be much different than open transporters but costs would be much, much higher.

Rail is pretty safe as the decks aren’t moved around as much to accommodate vehicles of differing heights.

Sponsored

OP
OP
kylealden

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Product Management

Definitely can't open the tailgate with the Kuat rack in any position, unfortunately. After using it for this trip I'm extra sketched out because it's so easy to hit the tailgate release instead of the tonneau button on the bed rail - I did that twice and caught it just before it hit my nice spiky pedals both times. I'm planning to donate this one to the friend and try 1UP racks over the bed or a fork mount. That should also have slightly better aero (although I was very pleasantly surprised by the aero with the Kuat rack on - geuss-o-meter was right on the money in both Conserve and All Purpose including multiple mountain passes. On my Model 3, two bikes on the Kuat rack cost me 60% range in heavy winds.)

Nice thing about the 1UP rack is I can use it as a single-bike hitch mount too for when I have the RTT loaded. They do stick out a bit over the back when mounted on the bed. But I have a couple months to figure all that out 🙃.

(However, I am getting a Condor Overland delivered tomorrow... which I now have to figure out how to get off the ground 🤔)

Iwannarivian

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Panamera 4, Wrangler, MB C250, Civic Sport
Occupation
pretending to be retired
Clubs

After three long years of waiting, we finally took delivery a week ago! She’s a beaut, but we had a few minor issues (transporter damage) to sort out, so the truck was back in the shop Thursday/Friday.

This weekend was our first real outing with the truck in ship shape and some activities planned! The wife, dog, and I headed over to Leavenworth and Wenatchee for a quiet weekend away with some backpacking and mountain biking.

D7F42F68-23A5-4EDD-81C4-0486A5F84BFE.jpeg

I absolutely love everything about the truck, except for this one thing…

932A24A2-BF7D-4F01-9BFF-0A0781D5252A.jpeg

I took a spill mountain biking on Saturday and broke my right ankle. Jury is out on whether I need surgery, but in any case I won’t be driving for 2-3 months 🤦‍♂️

It’s just sitting there, taunting me…
With one pedal driving it should be real easy to learn to drive with your left foot!

OP
OP
kylealden

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Product Management
Honestly I think "buff it out onsite" is probably good enough (mine went from horrifying to perfect in a couple hours). But they should probably work an extra day or two of slack into their delivery schedule for inspections & detailing, and maybe do some extra training/due diligence on final inspections (e.g. must be at least two weekdays before scheduled delivery date...). I was very happy to take delivery of an imperfect truck with an IOU rather than wait, but that's probably not the right model at scale.

FutureTruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Pre Order 10/2021, Delivered 8/2022
As someone who broke their leg skiing in February, and has spent the last 11 weeks with weight off of it, I feel for you man. Hey, I can look on the bright side, at least I don't have a Rivian to not be able to drive.

MountainBikeDude

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

Definitely can't open the tailgate with the Kuat rack in any position, unfortunately. After using it for this trip I'm extra sketched out because it's so easy to hit the tailgate release instead of the tonneau button on the bed rail - I did that twice and caught it just before it hit my nice spiky pedals both times. I'm planning to donate this one to the friend and try 1UP racks over the bed or a fork mount. That should also have slightly better aero (although I was very pleasantly surprised by the aero with the Kuat rack on - geuss-o-meter was right on the money in both Conserve and All Purpose including multiple mountain passes. On my Model 3, two bikes on the Kuat rack cost me 60% range in heavy winds.)

Nice thing about the 1UP rack is I can use it as a single-bike hitch mount too for when I have the RTT loaded. They do stick out a bit over the back when mounted on the bed. But I have a couple months to figure all that out 🙃.

(However, I am getting a Condor Overland delivered tomorrow... which I now have to figure out how to get off the ground 🤔)
That blows. I love the sturdyness of my kuat rack and was hoping it would be compatible with the tail gate. Does make me wonder if the R1S's little fold down "tail gate" is short enough that it won't hit.

Very surprising the range effect on the Model 3, but considering it's range is more based on the vehicle being "slippery" not entirely unexpected.

This also brings up a bit of a frustration, or more of a personal problem of mine. If I had a (Canadian pricing btw) 60k Tacoma I wouldn't think twice about getting a pad for the tail gate and draping my mountain bike over it, while I bomb down a dirt road. Enter the 116k Max pack Rivian. I'm afraid I'll be overly precious with it to the point where I agonize over potential scuffs from the pad alone rubbing the truck let alone a fork bouncing into it when I hit a pot hole.
Sponsored