First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Tesla Model Y, Zero DSR/X, '69 CJ5
Occupation
Product Management
After three long years of waiting, we finally took delivery a week ago! She’s a beaut, but we had a few minor issues (transporter damage) to sort out, so the truck was back in the shop Thursday/Friday.

This weekend was our first real outing with the truck in ship shape and some activities planned! The wife, dog, and I headed over to Leavenworth and Wenatchee for a quiet weekend away with some backpacking and mountain biking.

Rivian R1T R1S My Rivian nightmare… D7F42F68-23A5-4EDD-81C4-0486A5F84BFE

I absolutely love everything about the truck, except for this one thing…

Rivian R1T R1S My Rivian nightmare… 932A24A2-BF7D-4F01-9BFF-0A0781D5252A

I took a spill mountain biking on Saturday and broke my right ankle. Jury is out on whether I need surgery, but in any case I won’t be driving for 2-3 months 🤦‍♂️

It’s just sitting there, taunting me…
Sponsored

kewlasu

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T LA Silver Adventure Large Pack 21"
Clubs

After three long years of waiting, we finally took delivery a week ago! She’s a beaut, but we had a few minor issues (transporter damage) to sort out, so the truck was back in the shop Thursday/Friday.

This weekend was our first real outing with the truck in ship shape and some activities planned! The wife, dog, and I headed over to Leavenworth and Wenatchee for a quiet weekend away with some backpacking and mountain biking.

D7F42F68-23A5-4EDD-81C4-0486A5F84BFE.jpeg

932A24A2-BF7D-4F01-9BFF-0A0781D5252A.jpeg

I took a spill mountain biking on Saturday and broke my right ankle. Jury is out on whether I need surgery, but in any case I won’t be driving for 2-3 months 🤦‍♂️

:eek:

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

But on to the important questions, is the bike okay??

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

Noooooooo! This is such a giving community that I’m sure a local forum member who hasn’t received their truck yet will volumteer to exercise your R1T, though. Seriously sorry to hear about your ankle; I hope you have a complete and speedy recovery.

Guy

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Scientist
Clubs

Another vehicle with transporter damage. Certainly seems like a lot of trucks are being damaged and this surprises me since I have not had issues with other new vehicles I have bought. Rivian need to investigate if they can improve the transportation process to cut down on service calls.

Sponsored

ja_kub_sz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 LR Discovery, 2019 LR Range Rover Velar

Incredibly sorry to hear what happened. But I will 100% say "you're keeping the world adventurous!"

Heal up quick and feel better

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Another vehicle with transporter damage. Certainly seems like a lot of trucks are being damaged and this surprises me since I have not had issues with other new vehicles I have bought. Rivian need to investigate if they can improve the transportation process to cut down on service calls.
It happens way more than you know. The difference is that with the traditional dealership model, it happens but you never know about it.

Sponsored

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
It happens way more than you know. The difference is that with the traditional dealership model, it happens but you never know about it.
I believe you are correct... when I bought my 2017 Bolt it sat in a depot less than 70miles from my dealership- not moving for five days, very frustrating. There was no explanation from the dealer other than "there's nothing we can do". Well, about three months after I got the car I was under the dash adding an accessory wire.. and I found quite a few bits of broken double layer safety glass tucked up where the carpet ended. I couldn't fathom how that windshield glass got there as it was as it was a brand new car fresh from the factory.. but some time later it clicked... somehow the windshield got broken during transport, and it got replaced before the Bolt got to the dealership.. that's what the five day sit in the depot was all about. I was never informed of the damage and never would have known about it if I hadn't been poking my head up into the guts of the dashboard.

yizzung

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T | Audi allroad
Occupation
Tech
Broke my right foot, had surgery, got three screws put in, and had to wear a boot. After some practice laps in the neighborhood, learned how to successfully drive my (automatic) SUV using my left foot only. Please wait until you’re off the pain killers before attempting.

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
^ best wishes for a speedy recovery bud!!

One of my friends has a helper that pulls cable and helps him mount cameras for his surveillance business. He told me the other day that the helper is out till further notice due to falling/crashing his e-bike... he broke both wrists o_O

Last edited:
OP
OP
kylealden

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Product Management
The tech I spoke to at the SC said they’ve had lots of issues with transporters loosely/poorly applying protective film, which then flaps around in the wind and scuffs the hell out of things. He said they are super frustrated-to-furious with the transporters and are trying to get it fixed but they have limited control once trucks leave Normal.

Rivian R1T R1S My Rivian nightmare… 6436F40B-2B42-4C67-8C0D-89585923FB58

Normally they have an on-site detailer who can take care of it before delivery. When they caught mine during inspection they actually proactively called me and let me know, sent me pictures, and asked to reschedule since the detailer was out for the weekend (they’d gone the extra mile and booked a third party detailer to come do it and make my original appointment, but he ghosted then.) I asked to take delivery early and come back in for the touch up later.

The SC folks were super helpful and professional and had it looking perfect in a couple hours after I dropped it off, and even noticed a couple other issues I hadn’t seen (roved and realigned both passenger side doors for better alignment and a few other touch ups). Sucks about the transporters but I’m convinced it’s a “direct to consumer” bugbear and not a Rivian problem - as others have noted, dealerships would just sweep this stuff under the rug.

OP
OP
kylealden

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Product Management
But on to the important questions, is the bike okay??
Haha, what truly matters! Seems ok, I rode it out the last mile or so from the crash. Broke my new Peak Design phone mount though - I gotta say I’m impressed, the mount never let go of the phone even after the aluminum arm sheared clean through!
Devil’s Gulch?
Sage Hills in Wenatchee. Nothing hardcore - still haven’t quite figured out how I went down.
^ best wishes for a speedy recovery bud!!

One of my friends has a helper that pulls cable and helps him mount cameras for his surveillance business. He told me the other day that the helper is out till further notice due to falling/crashing his e-bike... the broke both wrists o_O
Yikes! Hope he has a swifter recovery. At least if it was my wrists I’d have an excuse for sick leave 😂
Sponsored