First Name
Praneeth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Engineer
Would appreciate your upvotes on the reddit thread to bump up the priority for implementing a deep sleep mode and enhancements to vampire drain issue in the upcoming software updates
Sponsored

Aag12

First Name
B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Na
Would appreciate your upvotes on the reddit thread to bump up the priority for implementing a deep sleep mode and enhancements to vampire drain issue in the upcoming software updates
Link?

SlaterGS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Nissan Leaf, Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid
Clubs

I've got my R1T towed to the service center and both the 12 V had to be replaced. Total cost out of pocket ~$1000. I did trying to the service center and see what they could do about this issue but they said they cant do anything about it as it was within the expected vampire drain guideline.
Do they have "expected vampire drain guideline" listed in the manual somewhere?

I'm still going to argue that the idea of 1-2% drain as an acceptable industry standard is a cop out as batteries get larger. That's just lazy and wasteful.

I'd like to see them implement sleep like the legacy automakers as others have already pointed out (BMW, Jeep, Nissan, etc.)
Ideally the vehicle can automatically go into a deep sleep state, or a customer can put it in at the truck or in the app, AND replacing of the 12V batteries can easily be handled by the customer.

Sorry to hear about your troubles, upvoted your Reddit Thread!

CheezyNachos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T Adventure: LA Silver/Dark Mountain
Clubs

I'm still going to argue that the idea of 1-2% drain as an acceptable industry standard is a cop out as batteries get larger. That's just lazy and wasteful.
Especially when talking about a battery as massive as the Rivian has. That's pretty much double the drain at the same percentage compared to other common EVs. There should be no reason for this when idle/sleeping.

Sponsored

zefram47

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

I've got my R1T towed to the service center and both the 12 V had to be replaced. Total cost out of pocket ~$1000.
Can I just point out how utterly ridiculous $1000 to replace two tiny SLA batteries is!?!?

Rad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 and 2004 MDX, 2016 Jeep JK
Dang. I would have thought that it would be covered by the warranty. $1k. Ouch.

Yossarian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Telluride, Wee-Strom, Lynskey Cooper
**Update on the issue**
I've got my R1T towed to the service center and both the 12 V had to be replaced. Total cost out of pocket ~$1000. I did trying to the service center and see what they could do about this issue but they said they cant do anything about it as it was within the expected vampire drain guideline. . . .
. . .
My question too. Is the "expected vampire drain guideline" something that's actually in the manual? I did a quick search using several key words (drain, discharge, parasitic, etc) and found nothing. For $1,000, the SC should at least point out where in the manual this guidlne is.

Of course, it may simply be one of those "sacrosanct, but unwritten guidelines", perhaps one mentioned only verbally almost in passing when your Rivian was delivered.

Last edited:

Sponsored

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
Of course they don't... but this is Rivian... they don't even mention the word "fuse" in the owner's manual and FWIW- the R1's have two fuse blocks with over 60 fuses total.

The owners manual is a joke and has more omissions than inclusions.

Last edited:

Prime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MY(P), Rivian R1T
Can I just point out how utterly ridiculous $1000 to replace two tiny SLA batteries is!?!?
This I couldn’t wrap my brain around… I’ve seen a video of these swapped out, labor is less than 30 mins. And with SLA… seems like a $ grab.

Yossarian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Telluride, Wee-Strom, Lynskey Cooper
This I couldn’t wrap my brain around… I’ve seen a video of these swapped out, labor is less than 30 mins. And with SLA… seems like a $ grab.
I suspect that a good part of the grand that Rivian charged the poor guy was for towing. I thought I read a while back that it was some ridiculous base charge plus something like $28/mile.

SlaterGS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Nissan Leaf, Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid
Clubs

No experience with these guys but definitely thinking about doing something like this as the 12v system definitely seems to be a weak spot.