Sponsored

izgoy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ID.4 Model Y
Main question is, How much money did you make on the resale?
Sponsored

OP
OP
itselectric

itselectric

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Website
evhelphub.com
Vehicles
R1T
Main question is, How much money did you make on the resale?
I sold for a bit less than what it costs new if you order one now.

We put a lot of miles on it in the few months we owned it. I don't remember the exact amount but probably 10,000 - 15,000. I ended up selling it to driveway.com, which had the best offer from any online dealer network, some weren't even buying it yet.

I'm sure I could have earned more, but I was in a time crunch and once I got all of my money back (MSRP + taxes + fees) plus some extra I was pretty happy.

It also means that my next R1T, even though it technically costs more, will be less than what I paid the first time based on this deal.

Last edited:

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Overpaid Computer Nerd
Clubs

I didnā€™t experience all the issues the OP had but I think every single point and suggestion is pretty spot on. This is a great truck but these improvements would make it outstanding. Iā€™d add a few things to the R1.2..

1. Bring back the Explorer trim level. As mentioned by others, the air suspension can be removed. Beyond that, make is Dual motor only and remove other things like camp speaker. Also, as much as I like the ā€˜veganā€™ leather seats, I would be very happy with cloth. We could also do with a more affordable sound system and no glass roof. Frankly, I donā€™t like the glass roof at all. It does nothing for me as the driver.

Another improvement should be the tailgate. The R1T is a pretty high sitting truck. I needs a tailgate integrated step iMO. But it can also be used for storage like Chevy is doing with the redesign Colorado or better used as a workbench. Right now, the flap between the bed and tailgate is the only innovation. Itā€™s good but I think there is a lot more potential here.

Under that tailgate, letā€™s get a proper bumper. A bed step could go there as well and it might help reduce some of the damage from rear end collisions (like mine)

But beyond the R1.2, I think the R1 v2 (total redesign) needs some big changes. The biggest one the need for a completely separate truck bed. The integration of the bed into the body is one of the reasons body repair costs on the Rivian are so high. If you hit an F150 in the bedside youā€™ll, at worse, have to just replace the bed which is just bolted on anyways. With the Rivian, at worse you have to replace the entire side of the truck. There is a drawback here in that we might also lose the gear tunnel but thatā€™s a sacrifice Iā€™d make for a more repairable truck. If we did lose the gear tunnel, we could get also get a longer truck bed. Also, just drop the entire power tonneau concept and do it like everyone else. That extra complexity just isnā€™t worth it IMO.

In the R1 v2, we might as well do away with quad motors. They lost their main appeal when Rivian abandoned Tank Turn. The only real advantage to them now is the amazing amount of power. IMO that power can still, eventually, be regained with a dual motor setup. I think Rivian is going to drop the quads at some point anyways.

OH, and GIVE US CARPLAY dagnabbit!! (you knew this was coming)
Sponsored