Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Hey all - Here is my video from Moab Utah in my R1T.

I was on a trail called Fins and Things in Sand Flats - North Entrance to Mile 7.7 exit - It was not a trail I had any previous experience on and I am not an experienced off-roader. I aired down to about 36 psi but it has been suggested I should have gone lower, sound off if you have experience. The truck clearly had lowered itself to standard height in some of the sections, I noticed it before the last section in the video. Also probably why I roughed up underside a bit.

Sorry about the audio I am not great at Video editing, I might try to improve it. Wind noise goes away if you want to hear the guys talking in the last section. Best line "You made it without a single scratch"

Sponsored

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
first half of the video: "this is weird, I would have taken my RWD ID.4 on this. How'd the bottom out."

Last half: "nevermind"

shamoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911 GT3, Tesla Model S LR
Occupation
Cybersecurity
first half of the video: "this is weird, I would have taken my RWD ID.4 on this. How'd the bottom out."

Last half: "nevermind"
The funny thing about video is it never really captures how steep/difficult the terrain is. The first looks like I could take my Honda Accord on it, but I'm pretty sure I couldn't. :p

When I used to do downhill mountain biking, I'd take some video/pictures and show them to my friends and they would not be very impressed. Until I took them to the same spot and it blew their minds.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
The funny thing about video is it never really captures how steep/difficult the terrain is. The first looks like I could take my Honda Accord on it, but I'm pretty sure I couldn't. :p

When I used to do downhill mountain biking, I'd take some video/pictures and show them to my friends and they would not be very impressed. Until I took them to the same spot and it blew their minds.
Totally agree. I was thinking that when watching it too.

OP
OP
jjswan33

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

That last section when I looked at it I was like "sh*t, not sure I can do that" but now watching the video I'm not sure what my heart was pumping about.

Sponsored

Zac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Acura MDX
Clubs

It’s difficult to see the pitch because 2D videos don’t capture the depth. Same thing when I take my GoPro skiing.

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

AllInev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prius V, R1T
The funny thing about video is it never really captures how steep/difficult the terrain is.
Makes me really appreciate whoever Rivian hired to do there "Drive Modes" video. I can only imagine what the Rock Crawl section looks like in real life. 😱

RivianXpress

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Sprinter, TE300i, R1250GSA, KTM 500, 790
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Hey all - Here is my video from Moab Utah in my R1T.

I was on a trail called Fins and Things in Sand Flats - North Entrance to Mile 7.7 exit - It was not a trail I had any previous experience on and I am not an experienced off-roader. I aired down to about 36 psi but it has been suggested I should have gone lower, sound off if you have experience. The truck clearly had lowered itself to standard height in some of the sections, I noticed it before the last section in the video. Also probably why I roughed up underside a bit.

Sorry about the audio I am not great at Video editing, I might try to improve it. Wind noise goes away if you want to hear the guys talking in the last section. Best line "You made it without a single scratch"

Hit the White Rim trail! Please....

Reactions: Rad

kurtlikevonnegut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

This is absolutely true. I have some old GoPro footage of thrashing my Bradley around in the California desert that looks positively mundane on rewatch.

Sponsored

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
Shooting the video in landscape mode might help *just a little* to show the pitch/difficulty, as it give more visual reference to the surrounding terrain.

SACDFJC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FJ40
I aired down to about 36 psi but it has been suggested I should have gone lower, sound off if you have experience.
Most of my experience is in places like the Rubicon, Fordyce, Moab and the Hammers. I typically air down to around 10 psi. on the rocks and about 4 psi in snow. Running 37x12.5 tires on beadlock wheels. I want to increase the size of the contact patch as much as possible. I want the tires to wrap around the rocks when crawling to help me up those obstacles. Lower tire pressure also smooths out the ride A LOT. On a non-beadlock wheel like the Rivian, I would easily go down to 12-14 psi without worrying about breaking a bead or burping too much air out.

ironpig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2015 4Runner, 1975 FJ55 Land Cruiser
Well done! Those trails are way more steep than they look on video as others have said.

You did great and it is awesome to see the truck being put to test. Big points for being on those trails with a truck so new it still has the temp tags!

chrismc

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
r1t
Fins and Things is such a fun route! I’ve driven it in a few different vehicles and would absolutely give it a go in my R1T. Next up Hell’s Revenge right next door!
Sponsored