My R1T Comments after 3 days

nc10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, EV6 GT Line
Occupation
Engineer
Took a short trip this weekend, drove up to Blowing Rock, NC, nice area, Blue Ridge mtns, etc. Nice drive, lots of winding narrow roads. I think the R1T is about as big of truck as I'd want for trips. But it was fun to drive around the area. I used the R1T map for routing, worked fine, except it didn't always have the right speed limits on minor 2 lane roads around Blowing Rock (like showing 55 on a winding rood where 30 was a stretch....).

Posting a couple of comments...trying to mostly mention some points I've not seen mentioned much yet.

1. Tried to use Conserve mode on the highways. Driving experience is fine. But A/C isn't great in Conserve mode. It was sunny to partly cloudy, outdoor temps in the low 80's. The R1T A/C in conserve driving mode just didn't keep up in these moderate conditions, not bad, but the cab stayed around 75. A/C works fine in all purpose mode, if you put the system into recirculate, but a little worried about how it will hold up on high humidity summer days in South Carolina in conserve mode or even in Auto mode (not recirc'ing the A/C). Hope my A/C is ok. Have others had a similar experience?

2. I occasionally get a warning pop up when i get into the truck that says DC fast charging performance reduced or disabled, Service Needed. This is before even pushing the brake or putting the truck into D or R. The warning doesn't stay up long enough for me to get my phone out and capture a pic, but a litte worrisome. But fast charging seems to work ok. Tried a few last 3 days, a EV Go fast charger (100 KW) on the south side of Charlotte (they also had a 350KW charger), a nice Chargepoint 50 kw at a BlueRidge Energy utility office in Lenoir, NC, a 50 kw EVGO charger a few miles from the Charlotte airport, and new Circle K charger in Rock Hill, SC (a few miles south of the Carowinds park)

The Circle K has a very new 120 KW and a 180 KW charger that were free, promotional rate, located near a I-77 exit. They worked great, had to get a Circle K app, but then I just plugged in, swiped a switch in the app, and charged. Had to try 3 or 4 times on the other chargers to get them to work, must be some magic order of doing things. I need to spend more time getting charger company members into the Rivian app, may help? THe EVGO fast charger on the south side of charlotte was quite nice also. I feel lot better about knowing I can find and use chargers now.

3. I have a iPhone 11 Pro, had no problems at all using the wireless charger in the R1T, just lay my phone down. Have a Apple leather case, fairly thick. But..... my wife has a iPhone 12 Pro, the R1T charger gives her fits, even without a case, the iPhone 12 Pro has to be put in a very certain position to charge. The iPhone 12 has mag safe, the iPhone 11 does not. Seems weird that these two similar phones behave so differently.

4. Level 1 charging is really touchy for me. I plug into a 110V outlet, and my phone says it the truck is charging at a 1.2-1.9 mi/hr rate. The R1T display says similar. But the range on the truck never goes up. The green lights on the charge and charge port are green. Tried doing this several times on different circuits, even at another house, hours at a time, including once over night. The range on the truck stays perfectly flat, absolutely no change up or down.

Last nite, i plugged in the Level 1 charger again. but this time I set the charger to charge at a later time, from 9 pm to 6am. This did work as expected. I gained about 16 miles over 9 hours. Tiny amount, sure, but something (sorry for not noting the KW charged numbers). Has any else had trouble using the leve1 1 charger?

5 When I open the door of the R1T to get out, as I step down, sometimes my foot slips down the rubber gasket that is between the bottom of the door frame and the bottom of the door, and this seal partially comes off when I hit it with my foot going down. I can snap it back into place, but I expect this piece will start to fall off more easily, I may need to add some glue or double stick tape?

6. Doesn't take too long to get used to one pedal driving and not using the brakes, except I keep using the brakes to disable speed control rather than the stalk.
Driver+ worked on I 77 and I 85. (but its quite disappointing it doesn't work on other 4 lane major hwys.)
Sponsored

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
I don't think conserve mode has anything to do with limited climate control use, etc. its just disconnecting the rear motors. I could be wrong, but haven't read anything about that.

OP
OP
nc10

nc10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, EV6 GT Line
Occupation
Engineer
I don't think conserve mode has anything to do with limited climate control use, etc. its just disconnecting the rear motors. I could be wrong, but haven't read anything about that.
Maybe I need to compare with and without the recirc again in conserve. My wife and I were troubleshooting while driving, found this reference, so we switched to all purpose mode. This website mentions

https://www.autoblog.com/2021/09/28/2022-rivian-r1t-first-drive/

Rivian R1T R1S My R1T Comments after 3 days Screenshot 2022-06-06 163039

Last edited:

MoreTrout

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fusion Hybrid, Rivian R1T
Occupation
Retired USN
I wonder if your level 1 charging is basically just matching the vampire drain? There are entire threads on how bad the vampire drain is, so just the fact you mentioned the charge stayed flat would lead me to believe it was working, but only at about the same rate as the vampire drain?

OP
OP
nc10

nc10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, EV6 GT Line
Occupation
Engineer
I wonder if your level 1 charging is basically just matching the vampire drain?
Have been thinkging about that. Have followed all the drain threads pretty closely. Gear guard, AC, anything else I can think of is off. Have latest update. Its poss...ible....... I sure hope its not draining 15-20 kwhrs per day, though, which I should be putting in with 110V charging. Rivian suggested possibilty that match when I chatted with CS, then said I should call to trouble shoot, but doing to many things past weekend, and want to collect more data before calling. "Exactly" matching overnite and all the other times I tried seems unusual. Not close, but exactly matching. Tried some short vampire drain tests, it doesn't seem like I'm losing much, but haven't done a 12 hr or longer test yet. Will check loss tonite w/o charging plug. Getting the Rivian charger installed in a couple weeks, but want the security of knowng Level 1 charging works as a final backup.

Update 6.7, checked battery drain overnite, 11 hours, need longer, repeated tests to improve accuracy, but 110V charging would be net positive at this loss rate, even at worst case

Version2022.192022.19
Drive modeConserveConserve
110V outletsOffoff
Gear GuardOffOn
A/COffoff
Ambient T~82F~86
Time elapsed11 hours (8pm to 7 am) 6.6 to 6.7.2219 hours (1pm to 7am)
Range, start of test246 miles (74%)189
Range, end of test244 miles, (73%)184
Drain2 miles, ~ 0.6% capacity, extrapolates to 1.4%/day (due to round off errors, single digit accuracy, could be up to ~ 2%/day losses) 5 miles (~ 1.6% capacity, extrapolates to 2.2%/day)

Last edited:

Sponsored

Jason C

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T Launch edition
I’m also losing 2-4 miles a day. I thought that was strange since the vehicle has been garaged for the last two days. I have the same features turned off as you do. But this is my first electric vehicle so I thought it was normal.

reissc1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Clarity, GMC Yukon
I do know that other ev's have a decreased level of a/c when in conserve or eco mode. Like you, I have not read about this in the Rivian, but I wouldn't be surprised if that was a part of the conserve algorithm

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
I’m also losing 2-4 miles a day. I thought that was strange since the vehicle has been garaged for the last two days. I have the same features turned off as you do. But this is my first electric vehicle so I thought it was normal.
That seems high for where you are.

I do not have my Rivian but an example for my Tesla. Live in OC, typical days at my house are in the 70s, if I leave the Tesla in the garage over a 4 day weekend, I lose maybe 2 miles total.

Temprature makes a big difference though, I was in Coachella Valley a few days ago, 105 degrees, the car lost 14 miles sitting in the driveway for 10 hours. I was working in the garage and heard the BMS constantly turning the chiller on and off to cool the batteries.

Bborden

First Name
BB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y Long Range
Occupation
Digital Marketing & Data
First off, congrats on taking delivery! Nice to know folks in our area have been receiving R1Ts. Sounds like non-Tesla EV infrastructure is holding up thus far? That’s my biggest concern - I already have L2 charging at home, but getting anywhere in the south is a like a road trip, lol.

R1TYarbrough

First Name
Tanya
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
VP Operations for Homebuilder
5 When I open the door of the R1T to get out, as I step down, sometimes my foot slips down the rubber gasket that is between the bottom of the door frame and the bottom of the door, and this seal partially comes off when I hit it with my foot going down. I can snap it back into place, but I expect this piece will start to fall off more easily, I may need to add some glue or double-stick tape?​
I'm doing that, too! This being my first truck, I think I need to learn a better "dismount" to not rub my calf on that rubber gasket every time I get out.

aw113sgte

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 R1t
I experience similar on level 1. No gain in mileage for many hours, then finally shows mileage after several (maybe 8?) Hours. Not sure if its a data recording issue or energy is being used to condition battery or something.

Edit, just checked. 0miles added for the first 8 hours plugged in, 2 miles added in the next 1.5 hr. Pretty piss poor performance. It says charging at 2kw for 8 hours but reports only 1 kwhr into the battery in that time. Where did the other 15kwh go?
Sponsored

Last edited: