My R1T Arrived!!! (& PPF?)

njcoach24

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lincoln MKC
SO EXCITED TO REPORT I RECEIVED MY R1T!!! First time driving/seeing one in person...glad it was the one I got to keep!

Rivian R1T R1S My R1T Arrived!!! (& PPF?) R1T
Rivian R1T R1S My R1T Arrived!!! (& PPF?) R1T2

I've had so much fun driving around. It arrived with 11 miles and after 24 hours I've put about 150 miles on it. Driving around seeing people smile, give thumbs up, and watching gear guard videos has been so much fun. The truck is a dream and the closet thing I can compare it to would be an airplane.

So my question is about PPF. I'm really torn on this because it costs a lot of money. These are the two videos I've watched and they seem really great.

For PPF:
Against PPF:

I stopped at a local Tesla charging station today to see if any of the owners had it on theirs and the couple people I spoke to, none of them had it.

I guess it's a matter of doing touch up paint/buffing if I do get a chip/scratch vs doing the film and hope nothing goes through it/it stops what it's supposed to stop.

I'm wondering if just getting ceramic coating without PPF will just keep the paint nice. I know it wont do anything for rocks/scratches but at least I can fix if anything happens as it happens as opposed to having to replace film if needed.

Anybody feel strongly one way or the other? I would keep the color the same because I absolutely love it so it would be clear PPF.
Sponsored

Attachments

Last edited:

johnking

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW X3, R1S
The truck looks awesome. Have a great time with it and enjoy !! Cheers !!

I did full body PPF for my Model S primarily because I was using it on the freeway and wanted to safe it from little rocks on the freeway. Till the day I sold it, it looked like new even after 44K miles and 3.5 years. Many of my colleagues have commented on the shine of the car.

I didn't do any ceramic coating but that was an option my installer gave to make the protection more affordable. He said full hood PPF and the rest of the body ceramic protection (he recommended a yearly polish/re-application by his shop). I opted for the full body PPF.

For your truck, I'd wait to hear what others with truck have done on this forum. Primarily because your daily use could be so different from mine.

Whmorken

First Name
Hubert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X. Toyota Land Cruiser.
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

SO EXCITED TO REPORT I RECEIVED MY R1T!!! First time driving/seeing one in person...glad it was the one I got to keep!

R1T.jpg
R1T2.jpg

I've had so much fun driving around. It arrived with 11 miles and after 24 hours I've put about 150 miles on it. Driving around seeing people smile, give thumbs up, and watching gear guard videos has been so much fun. The truck is a dream and the closet thing I can compare it to would be an airplane.

So my question is about PPF. I'm really torn on this because it costs a lot of money. These are the two videos I've watched and they seem really great.

For PPF:
Against PPF:

I stopped at a local Tesla charging station today to see if any of the owners had it on theirs and the couple people I spoke to, none of them had it.

I guess it's a matter of doing touch up paint/buffing if I do get a chip/scratch vs doing the film and hope nothing goes through it/it stops what it's supposed to stop.

I'm wondering if just getting ceramic coating without PPF will just keep the paint nice. I know it wont do anything for rocks/scratches but at least I can fix if anything happens as it happens as opposed to having to replace film if needed.

Anybody feel strongly one way or the other? I would keep the color the same because I absolutely love it so it would be clear PPF.
Magnificent with the rainbow!

Gshenderson

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla S 85D, 2019 4Runner TRD Offroad, R1T
For PPF, think about the fact that sedans (especially EVā€™s) have a much more sloped front profile than the Rivian. Thus, youā€™re going to take a lot more rocks head on vs. at an angle and thus prone to more chips IMO. Iā€™m still on the fence about adding PPF to mine, but most,y because Iā€™m used to my vehicles looking ā€œwell usedā€.

Last edited:

Sponsored

moosehead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜22 Ioniq 5, ā€˜78 Jeep Wagoneer
Why the resistance to spending $2k for frontside PPF?

We have had it on every vehicle for the past 30 years in CO.

Alternative is sandblasted paint and headlights.

Davethadog

First Name
YaMa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Trucks, bikes, excavators
Just drive it and then sand and buff it in like 5 yearsā€¦

Its like people donā€™t believe their cars will survive the highway. Itā€™s a basecoat and clearcoat, not a candy color that will never be able to be matched if anything happens. Outside of massive chipping that busts through the sealer (which would ruin your ppf anyways), anything can be touched up with little effort when it seems reasonable for less money than ā€œpaint correctionā€, ceramic treatment, and PPF.

If you like the look and piece of mind then go for it, but 90% of that can be achieved with an hour on a nice day with some single stage polish compound.

Last edited:

IPTV65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep JLU Sahara,Jeep JKU, Infiniti G37X, R1S
Occupation
Engineering Exec
Clubs

Personally I only do PPF on the areas that are subject frontal punishment on my cars.

As far as ceramic coating is concerned ā€¦.itā€™s easy
and not time consuming to apply ceramic on a brand new car. Itā€™s a good thing and It definitely protects the paint and makes clean up super easy. Application is definitely not rocket science. Some shops make it sound like its voodoo though. If you are inclined at all give it a go. No downside to trying and once you do it you will see how easy it is.

Do the ceramic right away. Once you own the car for a while paint cleaning and some correction is probably needed before doing the ceramic coating. That is a labor intensive and expensive process. All this stuff just depends on how particular you are about your car though. If you regularly walk around your car with a magnifying glass and special light or encourage others to do so plan to spend a lot of money.

Realistically for a normal person. there should be minimal paint correction needed on a new car thoughā€¦just my opinion of course. Itā€™s not worth paying thousands of dollars for a daily driverā€¦ again just my opinion. Itā€™s just too easy to do it yourself and youā€™ll get great results.

Best thing you can do to keep your car looking great is to learn how to wash it properly. Even ceramic will get swirly if you donā€™t wash it right

Last edited:

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Why the resistance to spending $2k for frontside PPF?

We have had it on every vehicle for the past 30 years in CO.

Alternative is sandblasted paint and headlights.
30 years?

Sponsored

No.92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep Wrangler

R1T.jpg
R1T2.jpg

For PPF:
Against PPF:

I would do front bumper PPF and graphene coating all around. Is it expensive? Yes but worth every penny. I paid $3000 for mine in California.

Cavalryscout18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
We do a lot of highway driving in So.Cal so I did the front number, headlights, fog lights, hood, mirrors, and rear bumper of my Tesla Model 3. Believe it or not, each has been put to work. I backed into something early on but the film took the damage and paint looks good. Hit some cones at highway speed another time and only minor wear on the front bumper film but paint looks good still. The rock chips that permeate most carsā€™ front end are non-existent on my car thanks to the film. When itā€™s time to sell, I will strip off the film and should be good as new. Expensive but definitely worth it based on my use case. I will for sure do the front bumper, lights, and mirrors on my R1S. The hood, probably not as it is pretty flat.

Rousie13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2023 Tesla Model Y
Occupation
Engineer
Just drive it and then sand and buff it in like 5 yearsā€¦

Its like people donā€™t believe their cars will survive the highway. Itā€™s a basecoat and clearcoat, not a candy color that will never be able to be matched if anything happens. Outside of massive chipping that busts through the sealer (which would ruin your ppf anyways), anything can be touched up with little effort when it seems reasonable for less money than ā€œpaint correctionā€, ceramic treatment, and PPF.

If you like the look and piece of mind then go for it, but 90% of that can be achieved with an hour on a nice day with some single stage polish compound.
I couldnā€™t agree more. When you get ready to get rid of the vehicle, no one is going to give you thousands more because there are no rock chips/etc. The cost of the PPF would pay for a lot of professional paint correction, repaint, etc. I had PPF on the rockers on my Model 3 and still had stuff break through the PPF and damage the paint.

I went with Glacier White since itā€™s non-metallic and will make touch ups/blending MUCH easier for rock chips/etc.

Last edited:

McMoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 Performance
Itā€™s just a car/truck. If you donā€™t care about minor rock chips and imperfections like every car then donā€™t spend the $. Applying this a few times a year has served me just fine for my Tesla for making it look shiny and cleaner.

Turtle Wax 53409 Hybrid Solutions Ceramic Spray Coating - 16 Fl Oz.

OP
OP
njcoach24

njcoach24

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lincoln MKC
I did full body PPF for my Model S primarily because I was using it on the freeway and wanted to safe it from little rocks on the freeway.
I'll be driving the R1T on the jersey highways and they are usually a mess with all the trucks.

I would do front bumper PPF and graphene coating all around. Is it expensive? Yes but worth every penny. I paid $3000 for mine in California.
Guy near my quoted me 5K to PPF entire truck, said he usually charges 6,500 but really wants the truck in his shop/portfolio/instagram. He was super excited that I called.

Why do graphene or ceramic coating over PPF? Does it improve the look or strengthen the film?

The cost of the PPF would pay for a lot of professional paint correction, repaint, etc. I had PPF on the rockers on my Model 3 and still had stiff break through the PPF and damage the paint.
This is the big thing I keep thinking about...how much would it cost to do the bumper if it does get chewed up enough to where it really starts to make me crazy.

Thanks for all the replies everyone!!!
Sponsored