First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Chevy Volt, 2021 Acura TLX
Occupation
Business Owner
Plus... And this is a big one for me... If I take delivery in 2021 it goes on my 2021 taxes and I get the $7500 in March-ish. If I take delivery in January it's 2022 taxes and that month delay has me paying for the truck a full year prior to the tax credit.
Yes, that is huge for me also. I'm sure rivian is discussing how important the timeline is for many people. I wonder if we sign the contract and pay before 2022 , would that count?
Sponsored

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Yes, that is huge for me also. I'm sure rivian is discussing how important the timeline is for many people. I wonder if we sign the contract and pay before 2022 , would that count?
It's supposed to be on delivery. I tried that game when I was ordering my XC60, which prompted me to ship one across the Country rather than taking time to do the Volvo factory pickup trip.

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

One thing I meant to put in my original post that has nothing to do with the Rivian staff is the demographics. Just about everyone I talked to had a pre-order of some kind (some LE, some not). Almost ZERO of them had ever heard of any kind of Rivian forums. Of those that were aware, they were aware but don't participate. The closest that these folks got to a "forum" was some kind of Facebook group. So, as we talk about deliveries, it's _entirely_ possible that non-employee deliveries are happening and the people just aren't talking about them. I think we tend to do a bit of navel-gazing on these boards but we don't necessarily represent the entirety of the Rivian-buying demographic.
I get that company employees might not want (or be allowed) to participate in these forums or other sites, but I'd hate to think they don't read them. Funny thing, but in comparing the various online communities, I don't believe this forum has ever gone down for a full day. Certainly, not recently. Also, the Administrator of our forum is a very nice, real human being. I've actually talked with him. Not only does he laugh, he has inflection in his voice! No cyborg here.

When you say about RivianForums that "we don't necessarily represent the entirety of the Rivian-buying demographic", I respectfully disagree. With over 3,500 registered members, I think the statistics would bear out that we are pretty darned representative of those in the Rivian movement. Furthermore, I find the depth of the conversations here to be quite robust and far-reaching. Not trying to be argumentative, simply harkening back to my Statistics class in college. 3,500 is a huge sample size.

I don't belong to any Facebook groups and I don't participate in much "social media" outside of this forum. Therefore, I'm not qualified to weigh in on the depth of the conversations anywhere else. However, I am very qualified to bitch about such things. I do it all the time. In this day and age, that alone makes me an expert. Just ask me! While most of my friends and family participate in Facebook and/or other outlets, I don't get the fascination. That's their choice, and there is a bit of a generational component in play. It's my choice not to play in that sandbox.

I have to believe that most people in the company at least check in on this forum and the others out there (thinking Rivian Stories) from time to time. While we may re-route or hijack a conversation from time to time (I know I'm guilty of it), the conversations here are predominantly focused on everything Rivian. If the company is not focused on what's being said here, I think they're missing out in a huge way.

Please pardon the interruption. We now return you to your previous programming.

Last edited:

pc500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
dodge ram
I could live with the subpar quality of "Meridian sound system" if it was just me but I know every time my wife gets in the car listening to her favorite FM station, I will definitely hear about how her Subaru with 65 HD stations at quarter of the price sounds better. When my number comes up, I will have to deal with the question; get a new Rivian or keep the old wife.

Does anyone know if Explore sound system is Meridian with less speakers or it is a different brand? Frankly, I rather have the HD radio than additional speakers if there is a choice to be made.
I'll be interested what you find out. Digital FM radio is partially hardware, so if. Sadly, Nissan dropped
..... AND, I believe that when connected to Wi-Fi, Tesla doesn't offer all the Premium Connectivity features unless you subscribe. I have a Model S that is grandfathered into lifetime Premium Connectivity so I might be wrong! :rolleyes: Perhaps Rivian will do the same???

Screen Shot 2021-10-18 at 5.19.17 PM.png
Tesla is playing fair. Sat-maps and traffic costs them money (per API call) to google or whomever. Music streaming costs them nothing but data which you are providing.

Sadly, maps aren't free when they're on a non-personal cell phone device. Far from it.

Nine_One_Six_R1S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
N/A
Clubs

don’t forget, we don’t know the rules for 2022 yet. They may change the EV tax credit. From what I read they will most likely be income caps for 2022. So, depending on how much you make, there may be a little to no tax benefit in 2022. A big bummer!
where did you read about income caps? is that based on the proposed bill?

Sponsored

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
where did you read about income caps? is that based on the proposed bill?
Yes. The most likely issue is caps to msrp. It's sitting around the cost of the R1 vehicles.

kommonplace

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.kevinjwangler.com
Vehicles
2014 Ford Flex, non-LE R1S preorder
Occupation
IT Director
Rivian will gain back a lot of goodwill if they get trucks to the 2018ers by Christmas. I'll buy a bow , put it on my truck and look like one of those Lexus commercials during Christmas. Haha
Don't forget to post the pics.
And no need to worry about hiding or blurring your house address or other PII—we will find you anyway.

endress14

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grand Cherokee, XC 90 recharge
Occupation
TBD
It's supposed to be on delivery. I tried that game when I was ordering my XC60, which prompted me to ship one across the Country rather than taking time to do the Volvo factory pickup trip.

Interesting. I'm in CO and we paid for our overseas Volvo XC90 order last December and our tax credit was granted for 2020 even though it wasn't delivered until Feb. 2021.

Max

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Truck
Sadly, maps aren't free when they're on a non-personal cell phone device. Far from it.
Which makes me wonder why we need to be redundant with some of these things. With Android auto or apple car play, you pay only once (in the form of slightly higher price on your car when you purchase it) and then you can do all your planning in your living room before you get in the car, connect and go without paying subscription. I just have a problem with renting my car after I buy it.

I totally get why Adobe wants to sell subscription for photoshop. I just don’t get people that pay for it when GIMP is free.

Sponsored

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
Interesting. I'm in CO and we paid for our overseas Volvo XC90 order last December and our tax credit was granted for 2020 even though it wasn't delivered until Feb. 2021.
The IRS doesn't check or verify before issuing the credit.
When you filed your taxes, you attested that you had taken delivery. This is not something they will catch except in an audit.
You should, legally, amend your 2020 return and claim it on your 2021 taxes as you did not qualify for the credit it 2020.

Trekkie

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 ID.4, 2022 Polestar 2, 2023.5 Defender 110
Occupation
IT Nerd
Maybe I just have an old nav systems but in my 10 year old GTI the maps and navigation work just fine and that car doesn't have cellular.
Yep, and it cost $400 to get the 'update' disc for it and you are probably missing most highways built in the last 10 years too :)

My '01 car with Nav had 17 discs, after I crossed certain state lines I'd have to get out, swap out the disc for one for that group of states :D If you left the US it was another hunk of CDs for another $375 or so.

My how things have changed.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Yep, and it cost $400 to get the 'update' disc for it and you are probably missing most highways built in the last 10 years too :)

My '01 car with Nav had 17 discs, after I crossed certain state lines I'd have to get out, swap out the disc for one for that group of states :D If you left the US it was another hunk of CDs for another $375 or so.

My how things have changed.
And yet we have vehicles that get regular free map updates (I get them probably monthly) via OTA updates and can also provide routing capabilities in cellular dead spots.

It doesn't have to be entirely old-school or entirely cloud-only. There is a middle ground that others have figured out and Rivian needs to find it, too.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
And yet we have vehicles that get regular free map updates (I get them probably monthly) via OTA updates and can also provide routing capabilities in cellular dead spots.

It doesn't have to be entirely old-school or entirely cloud-only. There is a middle ground that others have figured out and Rivian needs to find it, too.
My 2017 focus came with map data from 2015. Zero updates until..this year!

Scoiatael

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
I went by the location in Venice today shortly after the opened at 9am. I had a list of questions (below) and both Olivia and Mark indulged just about everything I had a question for. Some of the answers were a little disappointing but others were good.

Before I get to the questions, I want to give a special shout-out to both Olivia and Mark. Olivia heard that I traveled from Denver for the event and gave me a complimentary Rivian-logo tumbler. Thanks!! Olivia said that she is on the customer engagement team (based in Normal but here in Venice for this opening). Mark said he is local (from Orange County).

I talked to her about how "left out" many of the long-time preorder holders are feeling and Olivia said "that's not right. we need to do more there" and promised to take it back to their team in Normal.

She said that right now they are sprinting and _every_ vehicle being produced is for a Launch Edition pre-order holder whether internal (some current employees had pre-orders before they joined Rivian) or external. She said _no one_ should be getting contacted by a Guide who is not a Launch Edition pre-order holder. She also said that all deliveries seen in media/social media so far are Launch Edition pre-order holders. I mentioned that it appeared that this may not be true given what I had seen on forums. She said she would look into it because it _should not_ be the case. Both Mark and Olivia independently confirmed that all Launch Editions (including R1S) are still being sprinted to be delivered by end of CY2021. I pointed out the math this it's roughly 10 weeks away and they re-confirmed that this is what they are trying to accomplish.

I asked if the lack of a service center in my area would delay my delivery. Mark and Olivia unequivocally said "No. They only thing we need in the area is a service van and the needed spare parts" To that end, Mark further added that the Amazon Delivery Vans are being repurposed as the service vans. This had previously been theorized but he confirmed it.

Now, here's the rest of my questions I had thought of ahead of time (for these, Colby answered most of the questions. He was in the Forest Green R1T in the back of the venue):

Q1: Can USB be used for audio music (eg, MP3, etc)
A1: Not currently, maybe in the future. Spotify is via vehicle LTE (AT&T). Of note while I was in the vehicle, the Bluetooth pairing was a bit flakey. It kept disconnecting randomly from Colby's phone. this is another reason why I'd prefer a local USB playback option.

Q2: Is there a hibernate mode for saving power (like when camping and there is no cellular service) long-term?
A2: They didn't know. Olivia took my email and said she would get back to me

Q3: Is there a valet mode?
A3: Yes, via the main panel that you enable prior to handing the vehicle over to the valet. Geo-fenced and speed limited.

Q4: Can more than one account be associate with the vehicle (for spouse)?
A4: Each spouse has an account and the app. Or, you can hand off the FOB/card/bracelet

Q5: Can presets (vehicle height, seat height, etc) be managed in the app? If yes, how many?
A5: Yes for each user with an app. Vehicle detects who is approaching and adjusts during ingress.

Q6: Can night mode of the screens be turned on permanently?
A6: Yes. toggleable to day mode permanent, night mode permanent, auto adjust

Q7: Can the vehicle LTE be used with a different carrier than AT&T?
A7: No

Q8: Does R1S include the under-seat storage in the 2nd row like the R1T?
A8: Yes

Q9: Can the AC controls for the 2nd row be locked out by the front row (child issue)?
A9: Yes

Q10: Can the window operation be locked out by the front row? (child issue)
A10: Not right now, maybe future update

Q11: Can the music control GUI be moved from the right side of the display to the left for easier interaction?
A11: No, it is locked in place. They encourage the driver to just use the controls on the stalks.

Final thoughts. The interior felt really spacious without feeling cavernous. It's about as "big" on the inside as my former Nissan Xterra Off Road. The R1T I spent the most time in was Forest Green with Forest Edge interior. I am currently configured for Black Mountain interior and I'm _seriously_ considering switching to the Forest Edge with my Launch Green exterior. It's _that good_. The map interface scrolled and pinched to zoomed without issue/lag _once it was loaded_ but was kind of janky while it was still loading (for example, going from the ride height adjustment screen back to the map). I did a navigation from where we were in Venice to my house in Colorado and this route calculation took over a minute. Colby told me it does all of the calculations in the cloud so since our data was spotty (lots of people congregated at the hub congesting the cellular service) it took longer.

edit: clarified that the current sprint is for LE pre-orders

edit2: just found one other detail in my notes. Mark said that they are batch building the vehicles on a per-week basis. So, essentially, everything you see in one week should be relatively the same (minus small add-ons like the first-aid kit and color). He strongly indicated that larger add-ons like the camp kitchen and tent kit are likely to affect delivery timing if they are not building a batch with those options in the given week. The rationale is that they are doing just-in-time delivery of the larger add-ons during the week-long batches.

edit3: Mark also said that Qmerit is reaching out for charger installs approximately two weeks before final delivery of the vehicle.
Thanks for the answers. Skeptical about delivering all LE orders by end of year, but its also possible there are only 1000-2000 LE orders and they plan on a significant ramp up to production in November.
Sponsored