First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Quest
Occupation
Marketer
I went by the location in Venice today shortly after the opened at 9am. I had a list of questions (below) and both Olivia and Mark indulged just about everything I had a question for. Some of the answers were a little disappointing but others were good.
Great questions. A few disappointing answers (as you said).

No usb for audio seems like a big miss with an easy fix.
Forcing AT&T is a big downside.
Slow map routing is baffling.

But I love the rest.
Geo fenced and speed limited valet. Brilliant.
Auto adjusting settings based on who's approaching the vehicle. Awesome.
Sponsored

Trekkie

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 ID.4, 2022 Polestar 2, 2023.5 Defender 110
Occupation
IT Nerd
Why would nav require LTE? Pretty sure GPS doesn't rely on LTE.
The map photos/renderings usually are delivered via LTE. you know where you are at all times, but how to translate it into something readable requires more data.

Trekkie

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 ID.4, 2022 Polestar 2, 2023.5 Defender 110
Occupation
IT Nerd
I do hope that the 'who's in the drivers seat' connects to the right phone. one thing I've hated about all cars is they just connect to the first phone, or let you mark a favorite. why isn't 'which phone we pair up with' a driver selected feature? every morning if my wife uses our family car it'll grab my phone - while mid conversation and all - and put it into the car until she's out of range or i've had the presence of mind to flip it back

OP
OP
svet-am

svet-am

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S (Launch Edition Preorder)
Occupation
Embedded Systems Engineer
I do hope that the 'who's in the drivers seat' connects to the right phone. one thing I've hated about all cars is they just connect to the first phone, or let you mark a favorite. why isn't 'which phone we pair up with' a driver selected feature? every morning if my wife uses our family car it'll grab my phone - while mid conversation and all - and put it into the car until she's out of range or i've had the presence of mind to flip it back
This is a good point. If both my wife and I have active accounts, how does it tell who is actually in the driver seat?

Sponsored

dleewla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Toyota, Lexus
Clubs

Whaaaaattt? I hope that he was incorrect. There are plenty of areas where I drive that there is no AT&T LTE coverage. This is really disappointing for an "Adventure Vehicle".
This can't be right. There's gotta be a way to have maps/navigation without cell/LTE. So many cars do this now that I can't believe thats the reason it took so long to route. They gotta have the maps downloaded or at least give you the option to do that.

More likely a software issue. I'm imagining a scenario as with cell phones when there is both wifi and cell signals available and if your phone happens to pass between one or the other there is a moment of delay in the device figuring out which to use.

dfx

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 LandCruiser, 2015 Model S 70D
I'm in the minority here, or only one, and most likely wrong, but to me, the end of 2021 and by Jan 2022 are one and the same. Most people include all the month of January as "by January". I don't. I feel it should be worded "by the end of January, if you want to include the entire month". Three additional words would clear up the entire confusion, on my part. Seems everyone else has it correct, but I never have.

To me, "by January", means prior to the month of January arriving, which would include "the end of 2021, but not any of Jan 2022.
I see no way possible for the LE preorders to be finished by year end unless the number of LE vehicles in the pool of pre-orders is significantly smaller than what has been discussed in the forums. CS told me that I should be contacted near Thanksgiving by a guide. If all of a sudden a R1S pops up at my front door by New Year's eve then I'll be elated but for now I just hope that I'm contacted by a guide before the New Year. CS told me to expect delivery by Spring '22, which with a 2019 reservation seems pretty achievable.
Rivian should be out in the next month on a dog and pony show for their IPO. The info from that should give all of us more clarity on this delivery topic. They really have dropped the ball in terms of getting a coherent and uniform line of communication out to the reservation holders. That won't be the case with the entities involved in the IPO.

karma.rules

First Name
Venu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura TL
Occupation
Software Professional
My guess is the number of LEs is smaller than one might think. They can probably run them all out pretty quick.
That is what we have thought. If that is indeed the case, we are lucky to have both our R1T and R1S reservations to be LE reservations and even more psyched that they both possibly might be delivered by year end.

RunnerPaul

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Chevy Volt
Occupation
Design Release Engineer (Electrical)
Clubs

Great article, thanks for posting!

cc84

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2000 GMC Sierra
I see no way possible for the LE preorders to be finished by year end unless the number of LE vehicles in the pool of pre-orders is significantly smaller than what has been discussed in the forums........

They really have dropped the ball in terms of getting a coherent and uniform line of communication out to the reservation holders......
We agree.....my other comment was only to clarify what the role of "by" means to me, as opposed to most.

Sponsored

rraj2k81

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Tesla Model S LR
Bluetooth
Are you referring Bluetooth for Audio and/or Data Connection for the Maps ?

If it's Audio, then it will depend on how bluetooth audio is implemented in the Rivian.
Here is some reference,
Bluetooth audio codecs explained: Comparing ‘lossless’ vs. ‘lossy’ compression - 9to5Mac
Qualcomm debuts lossless Bluetooth audio streaming with aptX Lossless - CNET

If it's data connection for maps, I am not able to find any source that confirms if Rivian will allow connecting to hotspots for data connection, either via Wi-Fi or Bluetooth.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
This can't be right. There's gotta be a way to have maps/navigation without cell/LTE. So many cars do this now that I can't believe thats the reason it took so long to route. They gotta have the maps downloaded or at least give you the option to do that.

More likely a software issue. I'm imagining a scenario as with cell phones when there is both wifi and cell signals available and if your phone happens to pass between one or the other there is a moment of delay in the device figuring out which to use.
It could have just been from the location of the Rivian Customer Center. I was there on Saturday, I plugged in my home address (40 miles) on my car when I left to see what the best way back to the freeway was and it took longer to route than normal. I would say 45-50 seconds, normally half that time when I use it.

OP
OP
svet-am

svet-am

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S (Launch Edition Preorder)
Occupation
Embedded Systems Engineer
It could have just been from the location of the Rivian Customer Center. I was there on Saturday, I plugged in my home address (40 miles) on my car when I left to see what the best way back to the freeway was and it took longer to route than normal. I would say 45-50 seconds, normally half that time when I use it.
For all those questioning why LTE is even needed or why it does routing in the cloud, this actually makes sense to me. It's a charger-aware route so it shows not only where the best places for charging are but it actively shows how many of the chargers at that site are in use. So, if it were doing a route and it found a place that would be a good candidate but all of the chargers are occupied, it will route away from that site. This is compute intensive and it makes sense to do this somewhere other than on the vehicle.

Kaprice

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Quest
Occupation
Marketer
For all those questioning why LTE is even needed or why it does routing in the cloud, this actually makes sense to me.
I'm fine with the LTE. It make sense. I absolutely do not like it being exclusive to AT&T. And I really think there should be an option to route data connections through a plugged in phone.

Dbeglor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes
[
I'm fine with the LTE. It make sense. I absolutely do not like it being exclusive to AT&T. And I really think there should be an option to route data connections through a plugged in phone.
Are there any other examples/precedent of having an option of carrier for data and/or to route through a phone?
Sponsored