First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
While over a minute is pretty bad, I'm a bit surprised. It would be interesting to see if something not across the country was quicker.

" I did a navigation from where we were in Venice to my house in Colorado and this route calculation took over a minute. Colby told me it does all of the calculations in the cloud so since our data was spotty (lots of people congregated at the hub congesting the cellular service) it took longer."
yeah, it just took ABRP a good 30 seconds to navigate from Seattle to Normal on my wifi. I have zero confidence my ID.4 would map that out with any sort of speed without a good connection.
Sponsored

Ashr112

First Name
Ashwin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
N/A
I went by the location in Venice today shortly after the opened at 9am. I had a list of questions (below) and both Olivia and Mark indulged just about everything I had a question for. Some of the answers were a little disappointing but others were good.

Before I get to the questions, I want to give a special shout-out to both Olivia and Mark. Olivia heard that I traveled from Denver for the event and gave me a complimentary Rivian-logo tumbler. Thanks!! Olivia said that she is on the customer engagement team (based in Normal but here in Venice for this opening). Mark said he is local (from Orange County).

I talked to her about how "left out" many of the long-time preorder holders are feeling and Olivia said "that's not right. we need to do more there" and promised to take it back to their team in Normal.

She said that right now they are sprinting and _every_ vehicle being produced is for a Launch Edition pre-order holder whether internal (some current employees had pre-orders before they joined Rivian) or external. She said _no one_ should be getting contacted by a Guide who is not a Launch Edition pre-order holder. She also said that all deliveries seen in media/social media so far are Launch Edition pre-order holders. I mentioned that it appeared that this may not be true given what I had seen on forums. She said she would look into it because it _should not_ be the case. Both Mark and Olivia independently confirmed that all Launch Editions (including R1S) are still being sprinted to be delivered by end of CY2021. I pointed out the math this it's roughly 10 weeks away and they re-confirmed that this is what they are trying to accomplish.

I asked if the lack of a service center in my area would delay my delivery. Mark and Olivia unequivocally said "No. They only thing we need in the area is a service van and the needed spare parts" To that end, Mark further added that the Amazon Delivery Vans are being repurposed as the service vans. This had previously been theorized but he confirmed it.

Now, here's the rest of my questions I had thought of ahead of time (for these, Colby answered most of the questions. He was in the Forest Green R1T in the back of the venue):

Q1: Can USB be used for audio music (eg, MP3, etc)
A1: Not currently, maybe in the future. Spotify is via vehicle LTE (AT&T). Of note while I was in the vehicle, the Bluetooth pairing was a bit flakey. It kept disconnecting randomly from Colby's phone. this is another reason why I'd prefer a local USB playback option.

Q2: Is there a hibernate mode for saving power (like when camping and there is no cellular service) long-term?
A2: They didn't know. Olivia took my email and said she would get back to me

Q3: Is there a valet mode?
A3: Yes, via the main panel that you enable prior to handing the vehicle over to the valet. Geo-fenced and speed limited.

Q4: Can more than one account be associate with the vehicle (for spouse)?
A4: Each spouse has an account and the app. Or, you can hand off the FOB/card/bracelet

Q5: Can presets (vehicle height, seat height, etc) be managed in the app? If yes, how many?
A5: Yes for each user with an app. Vehicle detects who is approaching and adjusts during ingress.

Q6: Can night mode of the screens be turned on permanently?
A6: Yes. toggleable to day mode permanent, night mode permanent, auto adjust

Q7: Can the vehicle LTE be used with a different carrier than AT&T?
A7: No

Q8: Does R1S include the under-seat storage in the 2nd row like the R1T?
A8: Yes

Q9: Can the AC controls for the 2nd row be locked out by the front row (child issue)?
A9: Yes

Q10: Can the window operation be locked out by the front row? (child issue)
A10: Not right now, maybe future update

Q11: Can the music control GUI be moved from the right side of the display to the left for easier interaction?
A11: No, it is locked in place. They encourage the driver to just use the controls on the stalks.

Final thoughts. The interior felt really spacious without feeling cavernous. It's about as "big" on the inside as my former Nissan Xterra Off Road. The R1T I spent the most time in was Forest Green with Forest Edge interior. I am currently configured for Black Mountain interior and I'm _seriously_ considering switching to the Forest Edge with my Launch Green exterior. It's _that good_. The map interface scrolled and pinched to zoomed without issue/lag _once it was loaded_ but was kind of janky while it was still loading (for example, going from the ride height adjustment screen back to the map). I did a navigation from where we were in Venice to my house in Colorado and this route calculation took over a minute. Colby told me it does all of the calculations in the cloud so since our data was spotty (lots of people congregated at the hub congesting the cellular service) it took longer.

edit: clarified that the current sprint is for LE pre-orders

edit2: just found one other detail in my notes. Mark said that they are batch building the vehicles on a per-week basis. So, essentially, everything you see in one week should be relatively the same (minus small add-ons like the first-aid kit and color). He strongly indicated that larger add-ons like the camp kitchen and tent kit are likely to affect delivery timing if they are not building a batch with those options in the given week. The rationale is that they are doing just-in-time delivery of the larger add-ons during the week-long batches.

edit3: Mark also said that Qmerit is reaching out for charger installs approximately two weeks before final delivery of the vehicle.
I was at the event on Friday and just recalled a question I asked to their “camp kitchen guy”. I mentioned that the IPO filing listed a possible camp kitchen for the R1S. He said the demand for camp kitchen for the R1Ts truly surprised the higher ups and they set their engineers to work on it for the R1S. However, he mentioned that they are likely 1-2 years away from offering it on the suv.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5

LaunchGreen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover
What is more concerning; the fact that they haven’t delivered any vehicles to non-employees or the fact that that even Rivian frontline employees are in the dark on about who is receiving deliveries?

Last edited:

OldGoat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Grand Cherokee 4xe
Clubs

Phone coverage is terrible in my area. Calls dropped in my house all of the time....walking the dogs was a crapshoot. When looking for a new phone awhile ago, I tried to research antenna quality of phones. With my new phone, I've never had an issue. My guess is that the antenna in the Rivian is many, many times better than my phone. I've never used the LTE capability of the Audi even when it was free (and I'm too cheap to pay for the subscription). However, does anyone have any real life info on how much better reception will be? (For me, see my cheap comment, the issue is having to pay for a service I won't use very often).

Sponsored

loucetios

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota FJ, Toyota Spyder, Honda CRV
Occupation
Investor
Whaaaaattt? I hope that he was incorrect. There are plenty of areas where I drive that there is no AT&T LTE coverage. This is really disappointing for an "Adventure Vehicle".

loucetios

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota FJ, Toyota Spyder, Honda CRV
Occupation
Investor
I have the same issue. Maybe worst, I live in the suburbs of Charlotte, N.C., and my house is an AT&T dead zone - ugh! So, I went with Version, and I have had no coverage issues. Does anyone know if OTA updates require an AT&T carrier?

OP
OP
svet-am

svet-am

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S (Launch Edition Preorder)
Occupation
Embedded Systems Engineer
One thing I meant to put in my original post that has nothing to do with the Rivian staff is the demographics. Just about everyone I talked to had a pre-order of some kind (some LE, some not). Almost ZERO of them had ever heard of any kind of Rivian forums. Of those that were aware, they were aware but don't participate. The closest that these folks got to a "forum" was some kind of Facebook group. So, as we talk about deliveries, it's _entirely_ possible that non-employee deliveries are happening and the people just aren't talking about them. I think we tend to do a bit of navel-gazing on these boards but we don't necessarily represent the entirety of the Rivian-buying demographic.

koersontap

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None!
Occupation
Engineer
One thing I meant to put in my original post that has nothing to do with the Rivian staff is the demographics. Just about everyone I talked to had a pre-order of some kind (some LE, some not). Almost ZERO of them had ever heard of any kind of Rivian forums. Of those that were aware, they were aware but don't participate. The closest that these folks got to a "forum" was some kind of Facebook group. So, as we talk about deliveries, it's _entirely_ possible that non-employee deliveries are happening and the people just aren't talking about them. I think we tend to do a bit of navel-gazing on these boards but we don't necessarily represent the entirety of the Rivian-buying demographic.
I feel like this has been mentioned already now by more than a few people here ?

Sponsored

Max

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Truck
Almost ZERO of them had ever heard of any kind of Rivian forums.
Great point. However, unless everyone in the forum is non-reservation holder pretending to be one, and there is any truth in Rivian trying to finish LE deliveries by end of the year, statistically speaking we should hear something from a member soon.

Dbeglor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes
Just want to confirm. They said all LE orders will be delivered by end of 2021? How is that possible?
That's not correct, the way it was phrased is that they were trying to accomplish that. In other words, you can perhaps tell yourself that there is a slightly higher chancy you'll get vehicle in May 2022 vs. June.

Dbeglor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes
I asked if the lack of a service center in my area would delay my delivery. Mark and Olivia unequivocally said "No. They only thing we need in the area is a service van and the needed spare parts" To that end, Mark further added that the Amazon Delivery Vans are being repurposed as the service vans. This had previously been theorized but he confirmed it.
I suspect this is a case of misunderstanding. I'm guessing what you were asking is whether the lack of a service center would push you out of the earliest deliveries (i.e. delay). The correct answer to that question is yes. The question they thought they were answering is possibly, am I going to have to wait for a service center to take delivery. The answer to that is no as they suggested, as they have said before that eventually they will be able to deliver anywhere just not at the start.

OP
OP
svet-am

svet-am

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S (Launch Edition Preorder)
Occupation
Embedded Systems Engineer
I suspect this is a case of misunderstanding. I'm guessing what you were asking is whether the lack of a service center would push you out of the earliest deliveries (i.e. delay). The correct answer to that question is yes. The question they thought they were answering is possibly, am I going to have to wait for a service center to take delivery. The answer to that is no as they suggested, as they have said before that eventually they will be able to deliver anywhere just not at the start.
No, there was no misunderstanding. We talked on this point for quite a while. There answer is as I represented it. Having a service center in your area _is not_ a gating factor for taking delivery. It is not a consideration for where you are in the queue.

Tommy

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Ford Raptor, 2003 HD Fatboy
Aren’t there people who have received guide contacts that were told delivery in January?
Yes. My guide advised me that I should be receiving my R1T -by- Jan 2022 (LE, LG/BM, 20"AT, tent, gear shuttle, order date Nov 2018). The statement that all LE holders will receive their vehicles by the end of 2021 is news to me.
Sponsored