Carey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MBZ GLE450
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

Here’s the solution…pull out camp speaker & pair it with your phone & play your favorite music app/service/iHeart Radio app…?
Sponsored

Max

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Truck
Why would nav require LTE? Pretty sure GPS doesn't rely on LTE.
My guess is the latest status of charging stations and traffic conditions along the way may be a part of it. But I do agree that everything should have a high level of functionality offline.

pc500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
dodge ram
Has it been confirmed that HD Radio isn’t present? Lots of AM channels can be found there. Not all stations are on TuneIn. Would be good to know if Alexa integration supports audio playback. That would help with SiriusXM, but relies on cell service. These are basic questions that Rivian should be able to answer by now.
Ironically I took an Alexa plug thing ($10 critters) and use it's 3.5MM out into the radio on my 2009 ram 1500. There's an outlet on my dash where it just sits plugged in. It actually works great. "Alexa play xxxxx", but the DAC on it blows chunks.

I did some searching and I came to the conclusion of no digital FM radio, but that is not based upon seeing it in person.

pc500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
dodge ram
My guess is the latest status of charging stations along the way may be a part of it. But I do agree that everything should have a high level of functionality offline.
I mean, pretty much all built in nav sucks for actually navigating, and I'm happy its cloud based for traffic awareness. In 99% of cases where I don't have cell, I can "self-nav" via map until I'm out far enough that I do have coverage. Furthermore, a route loaded prior to loosing coverage persists. It's generally not a problem.

For the 1% of the time it fails, whip out your phone with cached google maps if it's an issue in your area. I trek in pretty rural areas (Idaho/Montana) and I don't see it as one.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Why would nav require LTE? Pretty sure GPS doesn't rely on LTE.
not the GPS. If the map and/or routing is reliant on pulling data.

Sponsored

pc500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
dodge ram
My guess is the latest status of charging stations and traffic conditions along the way may be a part of it. But I do agree that everything should have a high level of functionality offline.
Traffic aware routing during rush hour. NAV without this in a city, is just worthless. I nav every day across Seattle, even on a daily work commute. It has saved my ass so many times from siting in a wreck or re-routing around jams.

All it takes is one wreck.

Max

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Truck
Ironically I took an Alexa plug thing ($10 critters) and use it's 3.5MM out into the radio on my 2009 ram 1500. There's an outlet on my dash where it just sits plugged in. It actually works great. "Alexa play xxxxx", but the DAC on it blows chunks.

I did some searching and I came to the conclusion of no digital FM radio, but that is not based upon seeing it in person.
now I am curious if Explore has a more functional sound system.

Tim-in-CA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
🌲🌲R1S, Lucid Air, T-Bird

I use Echo Auto in my Tesla and Telluride. Works fairly well.

Amazon Link

pc500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
dodge ram
now I am curious if Explore has a more functional sound system.
The explore model? Doubt it.

HD audio was common place a few years ago. It's sadly missing now on a lot of brands. Blame a chip shortage. GM still has it.

Either your area has HD FM stations or it doesn't. Sadly market acceptance hasn't been great, but I just want it for the (5) NPR subchannels it delivers.

Ladiver

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GMC 3500, Corvette Z06, Rivian R1T, Rivian R1S
Clubs

Sponsored

pc500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
dodge ram
I use Echo Auto in my Tesla and Telluride. Works fairly well.

Amazon Link
I'll object. This thing hi-jacks your phone and it hot trash. I literally one-stared it and trashed it in the garbage. It literally controls the app on your phone rather than using your phones data connection, which prevents you (or your kid) from using the phone for something else. Some people make it work I guess.

Wifi hotspot and the plug for the world. Works like a _normal_ alexa should, independent of your phone. And doesn't require daisy-chaining 3.5mm out to your radio.

Max

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Truck
Traffic aware routing during rush hour. NAV without this in a city, is just worthless. I nav every day across Seattle, even on a daily work commute. It has saved my ass so many times from siting in a wreck or re-routing around jams.

All it takes is one wreck.
Absolutely No argument there. I use my phone the same way. All I am saying is that no essential function of the car should be tied to being online so if my car like most other things turn into a data collection device for someone else, I can still cut off it’s connection and be fine using it as a car.

Last edited:

pc500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
dodge ram
‘Absolutely No argument there. I use my phone the same way. All I am say no essential function of the car should be tied to being online so if if Rivian if my car like most other things turn you a data collection device for someone else, I can still cut off it’s connection and be fine using it as a car.
It would be nice if it had built in mapbox routing, but shrug, I'm sure it still works as a car without a data connection. Otherwise I'll find out when I drive it to Rocky Point or somewhere else in Mexico/Canada.

Reactions: Max

pc500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
dodge ram
While over a minute is pretty bad, I'm a bit surprised. It would be interesting to see if something not across the country was quicker.

" I did a navigation from where we were in Venice to my house in Colorado and this route calculation took over a minute. Colby told me it does all of the calculations in the cloud so since our data was spotty (lots of people congregated at the hub congesting the cellular service) it took longer."

Cosmacelf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model X
Occupation
Software
Can these cars connect to WiFi? If so, that would help with the lack of LTE at a house for nav.
Sponsored