First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S (Launch Edition Preorder)
Occupation
Embedded Systems Engineer
On the audio front, I literally mentioned to Colby that I felt the Meridian was wasted on lossy audio. He is much younger than me and this seemed like it went over his head. No offense to him. I am feeling like I am having my “old man yells at clouds” moment on this issue. I think I am becoming a dinosaur who listens to music differently.
Sponsored

rraj2k81

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Tesla Model S LR
On the audio front, I literally mentioned to Colby that I felt the Meridian was wasted on lossy audio. He is much younger than me and this seemed like it went over his head. No offense to him. I am feeling like I am having my “old man yells at clouds” moment on this issue. I think I am becoming a dinosaur who listens to music differently.
You are not alone here !
Even though my current car has a HD based Audio system which I can load up MP3s with, I still listen to original audio CD, to make the best use of the Bang Olufsen system.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
It's not an age thing. Several services offer lossless (Tidal, Amazon HD, Apple now), he's probably just not into music THAT much. Spotify is supposed to offer "Spotify hifi" this year, which is supposed to be lossless.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
If you told someone working a car show booth, or a salesperson at any car dealership the same thing, what response would you expect?

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
Colby told me it does all of the calculations in the cloud so since our data was spotty (lots of people congregated at the hub congesting the cellular service) it took longer.
Whaaaaattt? I hope that he was incorrect. There are plenty of areas where I drive that there is no AT&T LTE coverage. This is really disappointing for an "Adventure Vehicle".

Sponsored

Ladiver

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GMC 3500, Corvette Z06, Rivian R1T, Rivian R1S
Clubs

Whaaaaattt? I hope that he was incorrect. There are plenty of areas where I drive that there is no AT&T LTE coverage. This is really disappointing for an "Adventure Vehicle".
I feel your pain. From my driveway, I don't get great AT&T signal. Sounds like I won't have nav or music until I am 1/2 mile or more from my house.

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
I feel your pain. From my driveway, I don't get great AT&T signal. Sounds like I won't have nav or music until I am 1/2 mile or more from my house.
I have a vacation property where the nearest ATT coverage picks up very spotty about 1 mile away. I'd estimate coverage is 50% at best in an 30 - 40 mile radius.

pc500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
dodge ram
While the current audio options may not be ideal, a 192kbit VBR spotify stream is all that's needed for optimal quality. In a car environment, there's only so much you can do. A relatively cheap set of headphones will blow it away.

I am disappointed by the lack of 3.5M in (even if done over usb), lack of HD FM radio.

I would have also expected a sirius XM App.

While bring your own connectivity is unlikely, the ability to use Wifi you provide (IE: hotspot) would be a fair compromise.

The cloud routing is good if it's using a reliable backend source with traffic information.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
I have a vacation property where the nearest ATT coverage picks up very spotty about 1 mile away. I'd estimate coverage is 50% at best in an 30 - 40 mile radius.
If I go a little too far into the yard at the lake…no service. take the non highway route there? No service. Etc.

surely there will be some sort of caching.

OP
OP
svet-am

svet-am

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S (Launch Edition Preorder)
Occupation
Embedded Systems Engineer
I could have sworn that somebody put a usb stick in during one of the first drives in Normal and it worked. Maybe I am misremembering.
I am still hoping this is true based on what I read in the R1T manual and that the person I talked to this morning just didn’t know.

Sponsored

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

I am sure any question I ask would result in a I have to look that up or get back to you but they are all related to technical specifications around voltage architecture and their patents on charging and how they would charge/curve etc. All that I think we mostly know the answer for except for a few specifics. Otherwise really nothing else that we can find our own answers ;)

opnwide

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S delivered 2/2023
I eagerly await a non-employee owning this thing for a month and giving a non-“30 minute ownership” YouTube experience for a deeper dive into any pink elephants. UI quality (incredibly important here)/Meridian connectivity, etc. (Fill in your own concern here.)

Why do I get the feeling that non-Brice Tony was talking with two paid employee “pharmaceutical reps” today holding hands in the bathtub outside promising a “sprint to deliver all LE T and S by year end”? That’s a big pill to swallow.

PoorPilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I have some vehicles and stuff
Clubs

You mentioned that they stated all deliveries right now are preorder holders, but you disagreed based on information you saw on some ”forums”. I’m ready to get my vehicle just as much as the next person, but taking forum intel as the gospel seems a bit of a stretch.

Tim-in-CA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
🌲🌲R1S, Lucid Air, T-Bird
I am disappointed by the lack of 3.5M in (even if done over usb), lack of HD FM radio.

I would have also expected a sirius XM App.
Has it been confirmed that HD Radio isn’t present? Lots of AM channels can be found there. Not all stations are on TuneIn. Would be good to know if Alexa integration supports audio playback. That would help with SiriusXM, but relies on cell service. These are basic questions that Rivian should be able to answer by now.

emoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Why would nav require LTE? Pretty sure GPS doesn't rely on LTE.
Sponsored