godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
[

Are there any other examples/precedent of having an option of carrier for data and/or to route through a phone?
It has Wi-Fi. Just use your 5G Verizon (or whatever phone/service you have) phone as a Hotspot. Boom. R1T with Verizon 5G.
Sponsored

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
It has Wi-Fi. Just use your 5G Verizon (or whatever phone/service you have) phone as a Hotspot. Boom. R1T with Verizon 5G.
You just need to verify Rivian allows for a WIFI connection when in gear.

Up until recently with Tesla, you could only connect to a WIFI when parked and once in gear it disconnected. That was a recent OTA update to allow this from Tesla.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Are there any other examples/precedent of having an option of carrier for data and/or to route through a phone?
Yes. Volvo supports both internet via phone and even has an unlocked sim so you can swap in whatever carrier you want for the in-built modem.

Tim-in-CA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
🌲🌲R1S, Lucid Air, T-Bird
You just need to verify Rivian allows for a WIFI connection when in gear.

Up until recently with Tesla, you could only connect to a WIFI when parked and once in gear it disconnected. That was a recent OTA update to allow this from Tesla.
..... AND, I believe that when connected to Wi-Fi, Tesla doesn't offer all the Premium Connectivity features unless you subscribe. I have a Model S that is grandfathered into lifetime Premium Connectivity so I might be wrong! :rolleyes: Perhaps Rivian will do the same???

Rivian R1T R1S My Q&A with Rivian reps at Venice Hub Screen Shot 2021-10-18 at 5.19.17 PM

Kaprice

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Quest
Occupation
Marketer

When connected to HotSpot, does it still provide all the functionality LTE does?

Sponsored

Kaprice

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Quest
Occupation
Marketer
Regarding NAV...

Seems to me they should do something along the lines of what web developers call "lazy loading".

The idea of lazy loading is to provide the most essential info as soon as possible and add the supplemental information either in the background or only as needed.

So, with Nav, they could quickly download the map of the immediate area and display that. Then download the route info, and finally additional map data such as POI, traffic, and charging station locations/status.

For me (and probably most drivers) the Nav is one of the most used features and would have a major effect on the perceived driver experience.

eggpaul

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Chevy Volt, 2021 Acura TLX
Occupation
Business Owner
I was thinking the same thing....now when is that IPO date again??

Rivian will gain back a lot of goodwill if they get trucks to the 2018ers by Christmas. I'll buy a bow , put it on my truck and look like one of those Lexus commercials during Christmas. Haha

OP
OP
svet-am

svet-am

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S (Launch Edition Preorder)
Occupation
Embedded Systems Engineer
Rivian will gain back a lot of goodwill if they get trucks to the 2018ers by Christmas. I'll buy a bow , put it on my truck and look like one of those Lexus commercials during Christmas. Haha
Don't forget to post the pics.

rydb

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE
Clubs

I'm fine with the LTE. It make sense. I absolutely do not like it being exclusive to AT&T. And I really think there should be an option to route data connections through a plugged in phone.
if the car can connect to Wi-Fi, it could connect to a personal hotspot on your phone

nukem384

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3/Rivian R1S
One thing I meant to put in my original post that has nothing to do with the Rivian staff is the demographics. Just about everyone I talked to had a pre-order of some kind (some LE, some not). Almost ZERO of them had ever heard of any kind of Rivian forums. Of those that were aware, they were aware but don't participate. The closest that these folks got to a "forum" was some kind of Facebook group. So, as we talk about deliveries, it's _entirely_ possible that non-employee deliveries are happening and the people just aren't talking about them. I think we tend to do a bit of navel-gazing on these boards but we don't necessarily represent the entirety of the Rivian-buying demographic.
That's so interesting you mention that. For how "small" Rivian is in terms of who's heard of the company, you'd think everyone with a pre order would be on the forums or Reddit or some sort of social media to get the latest on when their cars might be delivered. There really are that many people that just put in a pre order, and are literally in the dark until they get some email from Rivian saying it's about time to make the final configuration and delivery will be xx amount of days away. Crazy!

Sponsored

cc84

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2000 GMC Sierra
.........So, as we talk about deliveries, it's _entirely_ possible that non-employee deliveries are happening and the people just aren't talking about them.....
No doubt it's possible. However, a problem I see, is there are too many unanswered questions about the vehicle. In another thread, they are compiling a list of questions to ask, when a forum member goes for a test drive. And, it could be possible that people are willing to buy a Rivian, no questions asked. They just want one and have a lot of confidence in Rivian. Or, the questions being asked don't pertain to them.

Another, is that Rivian made an announcement that some of their employees had received deliveries in September, that fulfilled RJ's August update prediction, but best I recall, there hasn't been any mention of non-employees receiving deliveries.

We've had reports of them producing vehicles every day, and they can't wait to get them into the hands of the preorder holders, but you have to wonder why they aren't delivering them, or why we don't hear about deliveries being made. I'm baffled.

I know eventually it'll all get worked out, but I can't help but wonder how. I would hate to have waited nearly 3 years, only to find out that it's not going to work for me. That's the reason my patience is wearing thin.....the uncertainty.

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

On the audio front, I literally mentioned to Colby that I felt the Meridian was wasted on lossy audio. He is much younger than me and this seemed like it went over his head. No offense to him. I am feeling like I am having my “old man yells at clouds” moment on this issue. I think I am becoming a dinosaur who listens to music differently.
So, are you confirming that these things, in fact, do NOT come with 8-Track players?!

I'm out!
LG/FE/AT/NOT4ME!!! ?

stynes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1S LE
Clubs

Plus... And this is a big one for me... If I take delivery in 2021 it goes on my 2021 taxes and I get the $7500 in March-ish. If I take delivery in January it's 2022 taxes and that month delay has me paying for the truck a full year prior to the tax credit.

Tim-in-CA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
🌲🌲R1S, Lucid Air, T-Bird
Plus... And this is a big one for me... If I take delivery in 2021 it goes on my 2021 taxes and I get the $7500 in March-ish. If I take delivery in January it's 2022 taxes and that month delay has me paying for the truck a full year prior to the tax credit.
don’t forget, we don’t know the rules for 2022 yet. They may change the EV tax credit. From what I read they will most likely be income caps for 2022. So, depending on how much you make, there may be a little to no tax benefit in 2022. A big bummer!

stynes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1S LE
Clubs

don’t forget, we don’t know the rules for 2022 yet. They may change the EV tax credit. From what I read they will most likely be income caps for 2022. So, depending on how much you make, there may be a little to no tax benefit in 2022. A big bummer!
True - the rules could be different in 2022. And it's possible the credits could be higher. Or it's possible, to your point, that they could disappear entirely. Either way, part of my justification is the tax credit in 2021. 2022 delivery changes the equation.
Sponsored