Sponsored

No.92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep Wrangler
And so there are less Rivians on the road because we think we are Superman going down the highway...
In all seriousness, if you haven't driven an R1T, you will not quite understand the driving dynamics of it. But if you have, you'll understand that this 7K lbs truck does feel like it drives (better) than a stock Toyota Celica. That's how I feel about it anyways
Sponsored

Last edited:

Dirty_B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Sales
And for the poor person who happened to get smacked in the charge port...here's your vehicle...
20220518_112330.jpg

-R1VLIFE
This picture has made me realize how accurate the original description of LG was: I think it said something like "Inspired by the primer".

Also, maybe the shop can slap a winch on there since she's naked up there now?

And just like "Cohall" - man that hurts to know so many have been in there and to see them like that 2 or less months into ownership. I feel for ya R1VLIFE, that sucks but at least it's being made right.

rydb

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE
Clubs

Not sure with the Rivian, but when I first got my Model S in 2014 that was an issue. The brake lights came on with the brake pedal but a lot of times you are just lifting off throttle - but Tesla quickly made sure that the brake lights come on when you are decelerating at a certain rate even if you aren't touching the brakes.
interesting, our 2008 Tesla Roadster (SN 126) would light the brake lights up under regen, so that's weird that they would have taken that off on the S initially.

ironpig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2015 4Runner, 1975 FJ55 Land Cruiser
interesting, our 2008 Tesla Roadster (SN 126) would light the brake lights up under regen, so that's weird that they would have taken that off on the S initially.
I might have my memory wrong. It might have been there but not functioning right on my car or something. I just remember an update to make it more clear right after I got it.

OP
OP
r1vlife

r1vlife

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T Launch Edition
This picture has made me realize how accurate the original description of LG was: I think it said something like "Inspired by the primer".

Also, maybe the shop can slap a winch on there since she's naked up there now?

And just like "Cohall" - man that hurts to know so many have been in there and to see them like that 2 or less months into ownership. I feel for ya R1VLIFE, that sucks but at least it's being made right.
Personally I had a blast seeing my R1T disassembled and seeing other vehicles in various states of repair. I felt like I had my own mini factory tour 😆. It was also my first time in a body shop so I thought it was an awesome experience!

Sponsored

texasBuzzard

First Name
AKB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Chevy Suburban
Occupation
Physician
Not sure with the Rivian, but when I first got my Model S in 2014 that was an issue. The brake lights came on with the brake pedal but a lot of times you are just lifting off throttle - but Tesla quickly made sure that the brake lights come on when you are decelerating at a certain rate even if you aren't touching the brakes.
Anyone with an actual Rivian know if the brake lights come on when you lift off the accelerator?

kneebuster

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Hyundai Tucson Plug-in Hybrid
Occupation
Professor
Anyone with an actual Rivian know if the brake lights come on when you lift off the accelerator?
They most certainly do. If you take your foot off completely they come on. At other times it depends on how hard you are decelerating. It shows on the driver display, but can be tough to make out. My crossbars on the bed reflect the upper brake light strongly at night.

Last edited:

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
These are the rules for deceleration.

Vehicle decelerationsSignal generation
≤ 0.7 m/s²The signal shall not be generated
> 0.7 m/s² and ≤ 1.3 m/s²The signal may be generated
> 1.3 m/s²The signal shall be generated

Lawrence-of-Blaine

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A6, GMC Envoy, Nissan 350Z
Occupation
Photographer/Artist
Clubs

From my brief First-Mile test drive and being my first EV driving experience, I wouldn't be at all surprised to find out that regenerative braking contributed to some accidents. Not that it would be the R1 driver's fault. Only that it is such a sudden pronounced deceleration that drivers in cars behind it may be caught off-guard and rear-end it.
Holy smokes…yeah I could see that happening. Never thought of regen braking that way. Yikes.

Sponsored

mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Model Y
I wonder if the tiny brakes lights on the R1T are part of the root cause of rear end collisions.

Pendarin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, 2020 Zero SR/S
I don't have a way to test it myself, but the owner's manual says:
The brake lights automatically illuminate during regenerative breaking to warn other drivers that the vehicle is slowing down.
Obviously, just because the manual says so doesn't mean it's actually working in practice. But that's the way it is supposed to work, anyway.

texasBuzzard

First Name
AKB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Chevy Suburban
Occupation
Physician
I don't have a way to test it myself, but the owner's manual says:

Obviously, just because the manual says so doesn't mean it's actually working in practice. But that's the way it is supposed to work, anyway.
Thanks, that is pretty definitive!

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
That whole bar across the tailgate should be a brake lightbar.
Not allowed, there has to be separation between the brake lights
Sponsored