My one deciding factor on converting a deposit to a purchase

Coast2Coast

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1981 Volvo wagn; 2006 Tacoma SR5; 2021 Toy Mirai
Guys & forum members. Let's keep discussions general, positive and useful for the greater community.

I enjoy a good debate as much as anyone, but when discussions turn personal and adversarial, it doesn't benefit the community. We're a community of Rivian enthusiasts, learning from each other. Take your debate off-line, if you want, but let's keep it productive and positive on-line.
Sponsored

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
I live in Tulsa, OK.
When I looked into Tesla this past year, they have one local independent repairman who will come do on-site maintenance. If he can’t fix a problem , their plan was for us to trailer the vehicle to Dallas, TX, then trailer it back. If we had been in Houston or Dallas, they offered Uber credits. In Tulsa, they said we were on our own.
Not impressed.
I hope Rivian has a better plan for those of us not in a >2M metropolitan area.
Perfect example. So you didn't buy the Tesla, did you?

First question: Is (or was) Oklahoma a state which prohibited Tesla from selling or repairing it's vehicles. If the answer is "Yes" then Rivian too would be prevented and the service dimension of the decision space is irrelevant.

If the answer is "no" and Tesla says "put it on a flatbed for Dallas at your expense" but Rivian says "we provide service through Privet who has a centre in Tulsa, just take it there" that makes the decision pretty easy if service is a major concern. But Rivian has not said that at the same time the citizenry of your burg is painting Elon's face and putting a big red "T" on the Golden Driller's chest. Can't say what's going to come to pass but it seems that OK is becoming more Tesla oriented.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE Retired
I shall continue to post whatever I feel may benefit the community irrespective of whose sensibilities it may offend.

EyeOnRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 4X, Mitsubishi Endeavor. Pre-order: R1S LE
Guys & forum members. Let's keep discussions general, positive and useful for the greater community.

I enjoy a good debate as much as anyone, but when discussions turn personal and adversarial, it doesn't benefit the community. We're a community of Rivian enthusiasts, learning from each other. Take your debate off-line, if you want, but let's keep it productive and positive on-line.
Thanks @Coast2Coast, and I agree in general but IMO I don't think we're there .... yet. Posts maybe pushing that boundary some and it's a good reminder to keep posts on topic and respectful. The OP is looking to explore an individual's deciding factor to convert their pre-order to a purchase. Some times it takes fleshing out those factors to get a better understanding on one's reasoning.

Coast2Coast

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
You didn't offend my sensibilities, but there was a notable decrease in forum messaging. I prefer many voices to a few.

Sponsored

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE Retired
I guess I should point out that I have no wish to offend anyone's sensibilities. But the internet has an amazingly strong tendency to attract material suitable for research on Dunning-Kruger effect.

delmi

First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Land Rover Discovery
I strongly agree that it is time to "fish or cut bait".
Today, out of curiosity, I looked at the Audi etron website. $85,000 delivered in Seattle with about a 200 mile range and about 5 in stock. A fine looking SUV but the performance is not what Rivian has promised. But this is an automobile that can be test driven and purchased today. I am in full sympathy with taking precautions for CV19 but at 89 years of age I want my BEV now, not 1 or 2 years from now.
I am sure that RJS is very aware of the dangers in waiting too long - it is time to PULL the TRIGGER.

Coast2Coast

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I believe Illinois isn't yet allowing manufacturing plants to reopen, but the day ought to be coming soon. Probably the beginning of June. The reopening plan divides the state into regions and separates businesses into different start-up phases.

When Normal reopens, I expect Rivian to make a bunch of announcements, including when the configurator will come online, when the first vehicles will roll off the line, and more general information about suppliers, including batteries, brick and mortar sales locations, and test drive opportunities. All of that may not be announced at the same time, but I expect most of it will be announced in relatively short order.

By the end of June, I think we'll know a lot more. Everyone's frustrated. Rivian needs to step up its PR and marketing game, but not at the expense of operations. Let's go Rivian.

Shzeph

First Name
Zak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T, 2004 V70R, 2001 VehiCROSS, 2005 Forester
Occupation
Student
I believe Illinois isn't yet allowing manufacturing plants to reopen, but the day ought to be coming soon. Probably the beginning of June. The reopening plan divides the state into regions and separates businesses into different start-up phases.

When Normal reopens, I expect Rivian to make a bunch of announcements, including when the configurator will come online, when the first vehicles will roll off the line, and more general information about suppliers, including batteries, brick and mortar sales locations, and test drive opportunities. All of that may not be announced at the same time, but I expect most of it will be announced in relatively short order.

By the end of June, I think we'll know a lot more. Everyone's frustrated. Rivian needs to step up its PR and marketing game, but not at the expense of operations. Let's go Rivian.
From what I’ve read, as part of Phase 3, Illinois will be allowing “non-essential manufacturing” to re-open as of May 29th, so long as it can be done while maintaining social distancing and other health/safety regulations.

Relevant Article: https://www.nbcchicago.com/news/cor...ois-whats-allow-and-what-will-reopen/2275508/

Last edited: