Sponsored
OP
OP

slider2828

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot
@slider2828 there are videos of grown men in it (and I saw a few people doing it at the Sonoma event - no, it wasn’t me…).
I do have a smaller family than yours (3, no dog) so that might be why I consider the frunk big enough.
And for the tailgate, the best might be to do 2 trips rather than have an accident but I definitely see your point.
I guess I am expecting the size of F150.... and I have a small wife on the shorter 5'1 side.... Not that easy for her to reach in. The F150 also did a nice thing that the front grill went up with the hood. That is pretty genius....

How about the storage in the R1T? How did you feel about it? I currently have a like a 2017 Honda Pilot in comparison
Sponsored

OP
OP

slider2828

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot
Just to clarify on the R1S spare.

It is not a donut spare. It is a compact spare that is designed to inflate when needed to a full size tire.
Yes R1S.... really? I guess the guide there was wrong? He said donut spare.... hmmm

Found it. Oh that means you gotta pay extra for the spare in an R1s.... ugh.... WTF....
In the R1S, the optional compact spare tire that inflates to full size is located in a lockable compartment under the trunk cargo floor.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Yes R1S.... really? I guess the guide there was wrong? He said donut spare.... hmmm

Found it. Oh that means you gotta pay extra for the spare in an R1s.... ugh.... WTF....
In the R1S, the optional compact spare tire that inflates to full size is located in a lockable compartment under the trunk cargo floor.
He was, he may not have seen one and misinterpreted the term compact for the old donuts. This is from the Rivian web site FAQs

Rivian R1T R1S My Norcal Sonoma First Mile Event Impressions and Videos ADFB1DDE-00A6-4537-9945-33BF497593CB

AxelR

First Name
Axel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Tesla Model 3 Performance, 23 Rivian R1S
Clubs

I guess I am expecting the size of F150.... and I have a small wife on the shorter 5'1 side.... Not that easy for her to reach in. The F150 also did a nice thing that the front grill went up with the hood. That is pretty genius....

How about the storage in the R1T? How did you feel about it? I currently have a like a 2017 Honda Pilot in comparison
Yes, I agree with you. I feel like the R1T is just a slightly bigger and much nicer Tacoma.
Under seat storage is just for a slim box of tissues, some band aids and a banana I think.
I was disappointed by the fact that it’s not roomier and that’s why I didn’t cancel my Raptor order(s). Although, I’m not planning on cancelling the R1T. Maybe just push it out by adding Limestone and the Max pack.

OP
OP

slider2828

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot
Yes, I agree with you. I feel like the R1T is just a slightly bigger and much nicer Tacoma.
Under seat storage is just for a slim box of tissues, some band aids and a banana I think.
I was disappointed by the fact that it’s not roomier and that’s why I didn’t cancel my Raptor order(s). Although, I’m not planning on cancelling the R1T. Maybe just push it out by adding Limestone and the Max pack.
Yeah until I see the lightning f150 in person, I am going to keep both. I won't offroad at all and I am not a camping person, but I do plan to tow trailer and race car. I do like speed and specs and the driving of the R1T and eventually R1S probably will be a lot better than the huge Ford. But we will see. As most owners it isn't my only car, so going skiing, towing, range, premium design, storage and V2H will be my main KPIs I am going to looking at closely.

I mean probably still 1 year away from an R1S, so we all have time. Time will help us make the decision I think.

Sponsored

Smithery

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MX 100D, XC70, Cooper S JCW, R1T Large
No you can't drive at these events.
??? This is strictly not true.

I just got back from the Sonoma event this morning where I drove the bejeezus out of that truck on those same roads.

You have to have been a preorder holder from long-enough ago to get a drive invite, but countless of us got them.

I'm not an LE preorder holder, e.g.

Last edited:

Smithery

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MX 100D, XC70, Cooper S JCW, R1T Large
I’m not agreeing on the frunk being small. Bigger than my 911 and much bigger than my M3P. You can fit a human being in it and I could easily fit a whole week of groceries in there - maybe we need to eat more ;)
Yah, same.

Really confused about the claim it's small.

It's *WAY* bigger, more regular-shaped, and in-general more useful than my Model X frunk.

Power open/close on it is a game changer.

This will be - at launch - the only pickup on the market with a full fledged trunk for grocery shopping, and we can't wait.

As for the tailgate, I also disagree. I found it rather easy to close with one hand. Maybe it’s a matter of putting your hand towards the center of it rather than the side. Not sure why they couldn’t make it “automatic” like most pickup trucks these days.
Same. I raised the tailgate half a dozen times, from the middle and edges, no problem.

My wife did, too. She complains about manual opening and closing of the Model X frunk but had zero complaints about lifting the tail gate.

Personally, I can't tell people who want a power-up gate they're wrong for wanting one... but as far as a manual-up gate goes this one is perfectly acceptable and I prefer it over having other complicated parts that might be unreliable.

Max

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Truck

It is not a donut spare. It is a compact spare that is designed to inflate when needed to a full size tire.
Does that mean if I have left for a 500 mile trip and got a flat at mile 20, I could keep going or it is limited to 60 mile use at lower speeds? I have seen those inflatables on VW Touareg but never knew what the limitations were.

Does that mean I can go off road with my R1T buddies and if we get a flat at the same time, we could handle the same circumstances? or R1S is just an adventure vehicle in name and you have to leave it home and hop in your friend’s R1T to go off road?

If the spare can perform like a regular tire at high speed for extended use on road but not as capable off road, I probably sill stick with R1S. But if I have to use it like a donut and break my trip and shop for 21 tires in middle of nowhere, it will push me toward R1T or Lightning.

p.s. CS didn’t have an answer but if they get back to me with something, I will post.

Last edited:

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
??? This is strictly not true.

I just got back from the Sonoma event this morning where I drove the bejeezus out of that truck on those same roads.

You have to have been a preorder holder from long-enough ago to get a drive invite, but countless of us got them.

I'm not an LE preorder holder, e.g.
I preordered in July of this year and managed to snag a drive, just by asking customer service if there were any openings. Although I did sign up for the static preview earlier.

And I also drove 2000 miles from another country to get here. Might have helped my case.

sevengroove

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Launch Edition

Just had a chat with CS about this, and they confirmed that it is not a donut. But they also said that it will be a 'matching wheel', which I don't fully believe because the R1S spare is cheaper than the R1T.
CS: Both the tire and wheel will come intact. So if you need to replace the tire, you can do so easily

Me: Understood - so it's kind of like a donut wheel (i.e. not the same as the 20" wheels we see on the configurator) with the AT pirelli tires, is that accurate?

CS: It's not a donut wheel. That would be a disservice if we provided a donut wheel We have ensured that you can easily replace the tire, and continue on your adventure using a spare tire that reflects the same size as the other tires on the vehicle

Me: Ok, so that's where I'm confused - the R1T configurator clearly says 'full size spare', a matching tire and wheel stored under the bed. But the R1S says 'compact spare tire'. So what's the difference?

CS: It's a full-size compact tire for the R1S, as well. Essentially, the compact tire needs to be inflated, while the full-size spare tire is already inflated, and ready to go within the R1T bed

Me: Ahh I see. So the only difference is that the R1S's spare is not inflated, but it is a matching wheel still?

CS: Yes, that is correct. You got it! I apologize for the confusion, and perhaps better language clarifying this would be helpful on the website. But rest assured, I have checked base with our team and can confirm this is correct

Sponsored

OP
OP

slider2828

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot
I preordered in July of this year and managed to snag a drive, just by asking customer service if there were any openings. Although I did sign up for the static preview earlier.

And I also drove 2000 miles from another country to get here. Might have helped my case.
What day did you go.... They straight told us nah, everything is booked for the rest of the 1.5 weeks. unless they were lying or you were an LE holder lol.

SlaterGS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Nissan Leaf, Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid
Clubs

Just had a chat with CS about this, and they confirmed that it is not a donut. But they also said that it will be a 'matching wheel', which I don't fully believe because the R1S spare is cheaper than the R1T.
Is the full size spare on the R1T on a steel rim or an actual rim from your configuration?

Otherwise I am also confused on the pricing and ultimately have my doubts about CS, but if this is true then I am all for it!
It has seemed ridiculous that an adventure vehicle wouldn't have a full size spare, but if it simply needs inflated, then the compressor is there and you should be back to adventuring with a fully functional wheel which would be awesome!

sevengroove

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Launch Edition
Is the full size spare on the R1T on a steel rim or an actual rim from your configuration?

Otherwise I am also confused on the pricing and ultimately have my doubts about CS, but if this is true then I am all for it!
It has seemed ridiculous that an adventure vehicle wouldn't have a full size spare, but if it simply needs inflated, then the compressor is there and you should be back to adventuring with a fully functional wheel which would be awesome!
My sense is that CS misunderstood what I meant when I asked about the "matching wheel". Perhaps they meant to say that it would be a matching size (i.e. 20" and not a smaller donut), but not the exact same forged rim from your configuration? I don't know why the R1S's spare would be cheaper than the one on the R1T if the only difference is that it isn't aired up. So it has to be that the rim itself is not from your configuration, but is at least sized the same.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
What day did you go.... They straight told us nah, everything is booked for the rest of the 1.5 weeks. unless they were lying or you were an LE holder lol.
I went on the 19th. When I got down here on the 18th, I hopped on chat with customer service to try my luck. They had two slots available on the 19th due to cancellations.

I had asked previously, and been told it was all booked.

Max

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Truck
My sense is that CS misunderstood what I meant when I asked about the "matching wheel". Perhaps they meant to say that it would be a matching size (i.e. 20" and not a smaller donut), but not the exact same forged rim from your configuration? I don't know why the R1S's spare would be cheaper than the one on the R1T if the only difference is that it isn't aired up. So it has to be that the rim itself is not from your configuration, but is at least sized the same.
What CS said makes sense; R1S is not an adventure vehicle if you could not keep going after putting the spare on but I will believe it when I see it. If it is anything like this (which I suspect it is), you can’t go over 50 mph and not for long. If any of you guys see an R1S in person, please check.

Rivian R1T R1S My Norcal Sonoma First Mile Event Impressions and Videos 1640053388327
Sponsored