First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC70; 2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Project Manager
You'll probably want the XL. I got the Orvis Heritage hammock in XL and it's pretty perfect - slightly wider than the seat but not in any way that looks bad or interferes with the doors or anything.

The challenge with a narrower one is that the headrests on the R1T are pretty wide, so even with the XL, the headrests straps are pulled pretty taut. Otherwise it fits great as long as you tuck in the little seat hinge inserts (super easy if you pull up the seat).
Thank you. This is exactly the information I was looking for. I had purchased two (yeah, I'm an idiot) of the Heritage Grip-Tight version for the R1T months ago (did I mention that I'm an idiot). I bought the Large version, and it barely fits the wife's XC-70, so I was pretty sure I would need the XL with the 61" width.

My first look at the R1T in person was when a fellow forum member (thank you!) gave me my very own First Mile Event at my home on the Oregon coast. He even let me drive it around our coastal town which, if you ever been on the Oregon coast, has a rather high pucker factor. He had a non-hammock version as well, but I'm not sure of the manufacturer. I haven't bothered him about it as the man took time off from his vacation just to give me a look-see. That kind of attitude is what I have come to love about the folks I have met here on the forum.

At any rate, I will more than likely order two different styles, both in XL (did I mention that i'm an idiot) as our Bonnie Lass (see profile pic) is the Queen of all the land. In other words, just a tad picky, just like her owner.
Sponsored

Sierra7117

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Outback, 996
Occupation
Program Manager
I show very approximately: 29" at the top of the door sill, 26" at the armrest, tapering to about 15" at the very bottom of the door.

FWIW in my experience you need a very thin window insert to fit without a lot of hassle and interference with the window. I initially tried these Orvis protectors and the insert was too thick to work.

These cheapo Amazon ones have been fantastic and roll up super compact so I can keep them under the rear seat with my hammock when the doggo isn't around. The inserts are a separate piece that the protector velcros too, which makes it easier to fit the kind of odd curve of the rear windows.
Thank you @kylealden! Do you find you're able to roll windows up and down without issue with the Amazon one? You see potential issue of flying out if doing 25mph-35mph with open windows?

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Tesla Model Y, Zero DSR/X, '69 CJ5
Occupation
Product Management
Thank you @kylealden! Do you find you're able to roll windows up and down without issue with the Amazon one? You see potential issue of flying out if doing 25mph-35mph with open windows?
No issues operating windows with the Amazon one. It has a little spring moulded into the window clips so it holds pretty securely. I've been using it for months now with no problems.

R1Thrilled

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T El Cap, 20" AT
Not nearly enough pictures of dogs in this thread.... just saying.

Sponsored

Sierra7117

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Outback, 996
Occupation
Program Manager
Not nearly enough pictures of dogs in this thread.... just saying.
I'm gonna miss my beater ram. Def more pics once the R1T arrives!

Rivian R1T R1S My (non-hammock) dog back seat plan 1660959082624

Acoustic71

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Project Manager
You'll probably want the XL. I got the Orvis Heritage hammock in XL and it's pretty perfect - slightly wider than the seat but not in any way that looks bad or interferes with the doors or anything.

The challenge with a narrower one is that the headrests on the R1T are pretty wide, so even with the XL, the headrests straps are pulled pretty taut. Otherwise it fits great as long as you tuck in the little seat hinge inserts (super easy if you pull up the seat).
I bought the XL version of the Orvis Grip-Tight Windowed Hammock Seat Protector based on this post and it did not look good at all. Way too wide with about 4" overhang on both sides. Plus, the vented part just folded in over the center console. It surprised me as we have the Orvis Heritage Hammock for our Volvo XC70. When we tried the Large Heritage Hammock in the R1T it fit great.

Orvis exchanged XL for the Large (51" W) and it fits really well. The front and back pieces are firm, but not pulling and our Golden Retriever loves the vented window.

Rivian R1T R1S My (non-hammock) dog back seat plan IMG_0407

Rivian R1T R1S My (non-hammock) dog back seat plan IMG_0408

Plus, you still have easy access to all the storage space on the floor in front of the back seats.

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Product Management
I bought the XL version of the Orvis Grip-Tight Windowed Hammock Seat Protector based on this post and it did not look good at all. Way too wide with about 4" overhang on both sides. Plus, the vented part just folded in over the center console. It surprised me as we have the Orvis Heritage Hammock for our Volvo XC70. When we tried the Large Heritage Hammock in the R1T it fit great.

Orvis exchanged XL for the Large (51" W) and it fits really well. The front and back pieces are firm, but not pulling and our Golden Retriever loves the vented window.

IMG_0407.jpeg

IMG_0408.jpeg

Plus, you still have easy access to all the storage space on the floor in front of the back seats.
Thanks for sharing! Seems like the Heritage must have a different cut/fit.

Acoustic71

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Project Manager

brancky3

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 CY R1T, 21 MachE GT
Occupation
IT
So with my two current dogs, I use these seat extenders from Orvis:
https://www.orvis.com/solid-foam-backseat-extender/90XR.html

They are probably overpriced but work like champs. Makes the entire back seat space usable. Our relatively small car provides enough space for two dogs to stretch out, turn around. etc. I know they make boxes with lids for storage but I will have plenty of storage and prefer the solid foam.

I'm hopeful that these will work in the Rivian -- only concern is that there's too much room for them to fit snuggly. Also hope they don't block vents or anything weird but guessing they'll be fine. Also not clear whether I might need a third extender since there's no drivetrain hump taking up room in the middle. Again, don't want to block vents so we'll see.
Hey do you have any update on this @yizzung ? Do those foam extenders fit in the R1T? I'm getting my truck in 2 days and I am thinking of ordering a large block of foam to cut to size / put a cover over it.

Sponsored

OP
OP
yizzung

yizzung

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T | Audi allroad
Occupation
Tech
Hey do you have any update on this @yizzung ? Do those foam extenders fit in the R1T? I'm getting my truck in 2 days and I am thinking of ordering a large block of foam to cut to size / put a cover over it.
Yep, I use them and they are great. Since they are foam they work on both sides (short wife, seat pretty far forward, normal height husband, seat kinda far back). I keep a "waterboy" resting on the top, so both dogs can hydrate when we're on long trips. They sit a bit lower than the seat, so it's not like one big flush seating area, but the dogs can stand on them / can turn around easily / and can get a drink, so that's a win in my book.

The only thing I'll note is that the back seat of the Rivian is HIGH. My older dog always hesitates to jump in and half the time I have to help her up. There's no good ramp/step that's worked well for me. So I recommend shoving the extender over just enough so that there's space on the floor for the dogs to use getting up/down. You could also just get one extender and keep one side open but (with two dogs) I want to give them plenty of room to stretch out.

Hope that helps.

Jehorton

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Model Y Performance
Occupation
Firefighter/Paramedic
I show very approximately: 29" at the top of the door sill, 26" at the armrest, tapering to about 15" at the very bottom of the door.

FWIW in my experience you need a very thin window insert to fit without a lot of hassle and interference with the window. I initially tried these Orvis protectors and the insert was too thick to work.

These cheapo Amazon ones have been fantastic and roll up super compact so I can keep them under the rear seat with my hammock when the doggo isn't around. The inserts are a separate piece that the protector velcros too, which makes it easier to fit the kind of odd curve of the rear windows.
I couldn’t for the life of me insert these into the window. The clips seem way to thick to pass the rubber seal. Any advice here?

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Product Management
I couldn’t for the life of me insert these into the window. The clips seem way to thick to pass the rubber seal. Any advice here?
The Amazon ones or the Orvis ones?

The Orvis ones were way too thick. The cheap Amazon ones were (at least when I ordered) super thin and fit great. But I'll note that the rubber seals seem to vary wildly... My rear ones are pretty snug but you could easily drop a quarter in my driver's door window.
Sponsored