My (non-hammock) dog back seat plan

yizzung

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T | Audi allroad
Occupation
Tech
I don't like hammocks. I tried two different ones with my lab and they didn't work well. They didn't sit properly on the seat so it was like walking around on a, well, on a hammock... I also tried one that had a rigid bottom that supposedly created a platform but the rigid stuff broke when my 100-lb dog walked on it.

So with my two current dogs, I use these seat extenders from Orvis:
https://www.orvis.com/solid-foam-backseat-extender/90XR.html

They are probably overpriced but work like champs. Makes the entire back seat space usable. Our relatively small car provides enough space for two dogs to stretch out, turn around. etc. I know they make boxes with lids for storage but I will have plenty of storage and prefer the solid foam.

I'm hopeful that these will work in the Rivian -- only concern is that there's too much room for them to fit snuggly. Also hope they don't block vents or anything weird but guessing they'll be fine. Also not clear whether I might need a third extender since there's no drivetrain hump taking up room in the middle. Again, don't want to block vents so we'll see.

On top of the foam extender, I place one of these:

You can fill it up with water and they dogs can't find a way to tump it over. Zero spills. (Much better than these.) And it holds plenty of water for long rides. Sits relatively flat on one of the foam extenders and does take up a bit of (dog) "leg room" but hydration is important!

On the seats, I use an Orvis cover but some folks here recommend 4Knines (thanks, community!) so I might give them a whirl:
https://www.orvis.com/grip-tight-quilted-microfiber-backseat-protector/20HP.html (current one that I own)
https://4knines.com/products/crew-cab-rear-bench-seat-cover-with-hammock?variant=12426544545853 (seems more functional with seat splits)

Lastly, because none of the above is a hammock, I need something to keep the puppy off of my lap while driving, so today I use one of these:
https://www.orvis.com/orvis-front-seat-barrier/3AA1.html

But I don't love it. It covers the center vent in our Audi (or it did before I surgically altered it). And the bungie-hooks on the bottom are borderline useless. I might try something like this big net or maybe even a rigid cage, but a cage would prevent me from putting my arm back there while driving:

Now all I need is a truck. My two test subjects are ready to go.
Sponsored

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
I like those foam inserts, but only to put UNDER a hammock. I don't like that fur can get down in those cracks where it meets the seats. The best part of the hammock is that it contains all (most) of the fur. There are cheaper versions of those foam inserts I've seen on amazon too, and various sizes if the Orvis ones don't fit right.

Those divider/ barriers are amazing unless you like to throw your seat back and take the occasional nap!😴 I find the hammock I use does a pretty good job keeping them in the back and I can still do that and get slobbered....

I love those water dispensers. Unless you overfill it, it's almost foolproof.

OP
OP
yizzung

yizzung

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T | Audi allroad
Occupation
Tech
I like those foam inserts, but only to put UNDER a hammock. I don't like that fur can get down in those cracks where it meets the seats. The best part of the hammock is that it contains all (most) of the fur.
I left out the part about both current dogs being non-shedding... :)

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler

Sponsored

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler

mabowden

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Kia Seltos SX
Occupation
Toby Flenderson
My super-pug is a nightmare while driving. He has mega car anxiety.

I use this- Your setup works very well for behaved large dogs. However, if you have misbehaved small-medium dogs these work very well. It calms him down a bit too.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
My super-pug is a nightmare while driving. He has mega car anxiety.

I use this- Your setup works very well for behaved large dogs. However, if you have misbehaved small-medium dogs these work very well. It calms him down a bit too.
Aren’t ALL pugs super?

mabowden

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Kia Seltos SX
Occupation
Toby Flenderson
Aren’t ALL pugs super?

Yeah but my pug is ultra super. He's a pug american bulldog mix so he's about 35lbs and about double a normal pug's size. He's a bulldozer super pug.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Yeah but my pug is ultra super. He's a pug american bulldog mix so he's about 35lbs and about double a normal pug's size. He's a bulldozer super pug.
OMG I love it. My ex has a Chug - chihuahua/pug and she is every bit the train wreck you would imagine.

Sponsored

timesinks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4, Sprinter
Love it, thanks for sharing your setup @yizzung. Agree the hammocks aren't ideal. They've been good enough for us so far, but always looking for ways to improve it.

And when you say the dogs can't find a way to spill that water dish, I heard my dogs both shout "hold my beer!"

Sierra7117

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Outback, 996
Occupation
Program Manager
Any owners willing to measure the rear passenger window opening width??? Want to have these door protectors starting day one so my pups don't destroy the wood trim and soft touch plastics on the door.

https://www.weathertech.com/door-protector/

Acoustic71

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC70; 2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Project Manager
I don't like hammocks. I tried two different ones with my lab and they didn't work well. They didn't sit properly on the seat so it was like walking around on a, well, on a hammock... I also tried one that had a rigid bottom that supposedly created a platform but the rigid stuff broke when my 100-lb dog walked on it.

So with my two current dogs, I use these seat extenders from Orvis:
https://www.orvis.com/solid-foam-backseat-extender/90XR.html

They are probably overpriced but work like champs. Makes the entire back seat space usable. Our relatively small car provides enough space for two dogs to stretch out, turn around. etc. I know they make boxes with lids for storage but I will have plenty of storage and prefer the solid foam.

I'm hopeful that these will work in the Rivian -- only concern is that there's too much room for them to fit snuggly. Also hope they don't block vents or anything weird but guessing they'll be fine. Also not clear whether I might need a third extender since there's no drivetrain hump taking up room in the middle. Again, don't want to block vents so we'll see.

On top of the foam extender, I place one of these:

You can fill it up with water and they dogs can't find a way to tump it over. Zero spills. (Much better than these.) And it holds plenty of water for long rides. Sits relatively flat on one of the foam extenders and does take up a bit of (dog) "leg room" but hydration is important!

On the seats, I use an Orvis cover but some folks here recommend 4Knines (thanks, community!) so I might give them a whirl:
https://www.orvis.com/grip-tight-quilted-microfiber-backseat-protector/20HP.html (current one that I own)
https://4knines.com/products/crew-cab-rear-bench-seat-cover-with-hammock?variant=12426544545853 (seems more functional with seat splits)

Lastly, because none of the above is a hammock, I need something to keep the puppy off of my lap while driving, so today I use one of these:
https://www.orvis.com/orvis-front-seat-barrier/3AA1.html

But I don't love it. It covers the center vent in our Audi (or it did before I surgically altered it). And the bungie-hooks on the bottom are borderline useless. I might try something like this big net or maybe even a rigid cage, but a cage would prevent me from putting my arm back there while driving:

Now all I need is a truck. My two test subjects are ready to go.
Quick question: what is the width of any cover that fits the R1T without excess (hem falls off the edges of the seat) or being to short (sides that hang down now look like wings).

The Orvis models that I like come in two widths: 51" or 62". As I do not have my R1T yet, I have no way of verifying what works, or does not work.

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Tesla Model Y, Zero DSR/X, '69 CJ5
Occupation
Product Management
Any owners willing to measure the rear passenger window opening width??? Want to have these door protectors starting day one so my pups don't destroy the wood trim and soft touch plastics on the door.

https://www.weathertech.com/door-protector/
I show very approximately: 29" at the top of the door sill, 26" at the armrest, tapering to about 15" at the very bottom of the door.

FWIW in my experience you need a very thin window insert to fit without a lot of hassle and interference with the window. I initially tried these Orvis protectors and the insert was too thick to work.

These cheapo Amazon ones have been fantastic and roll up super compact so I can keep them under the rear seat with my hammock when the doggo isn't around. The inserts are a separate piece that the protector velcros too, which makes it easier to fit the kind of odd curve of the rear windows.

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Tesla Model Y, Zero DSR/X, '69 CJ5
Occupation
Product Management
Quick question: what is the width of any cover that fits the R1T without excess (hem falls off the edges of the seat) or being to short (sides that hang down now look like wings).

The Orvis models that I like come in two widths: 51" or 62". As I do not have my R1T yet, I have no way of verifying what works, or does not work.
You'll probably want the XL. I got the Orvis Heritage hammock in XL and it's pretty perfect - slightly wider than the seat but not in any way that looks bad or interferes with the doors or anything.

The challenge with a narrower one is that the headrests on the R1T are pretty wide, so even with the XL, the headrests straps are pulled pretty taut. Otherwise it fits great as long as you tuck in the little seat hinge inserts (super easy if you pull up the seat).
Sponsored