OP
OP
Brewbud

Brewbud

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, 20 Cummins, 05 Jeep LJR, 22 Range Rover Sport
I realized a never came back to post pics with the fridge installed. The platform is secured to the child restraint loops. The fridge is strapped to the platform. The ARB 63qt is a big fridge. it is wedged in pretty tight.

Rivian R1T R1S My fridge locations (ARB 63qt) -- R1T bed and back seat (using raised platform) fridge backseat 1 sm

Rivian R1T R1S My fridge locations (ARB 63qt) -- R1T bed and back seat (using raised platform) fridge backseat 2 sm
Rivian R1T R1S My fridge locations (ARB 63qt) -- R1T bed and back seat (using raised platform) fridge backseat 3 sm

Rivian R1T R1S My fridge locations (ARB 63qt) -- R1T bed and back seat (using raised platform) fridge backseat 5 sm
Sponsored

OP
OP
Brewbud

Brewbud

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Just to show the size of the fridge. This is a pic with twenty-two 750 ml and a couple of 375 ml beer bottles from a beer pick up.

Rivian R1T R1S My fridge locations (ARB 63qt) -- R1T bed and back seat (using raised platform) beer fridge mobile

StanleySoManly

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
How are you powering the fridge? 110v or 12v under the dash?

Also any comments on energy drain?

I’m planning a multi month road trip and thinking of doing something similar to your setup but I saw a video mentioning that the outlet drains a lot of power when on, so I’m a bit worried about that especially overnight when camping.

OP
OP
Brewbud

Brewbud

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
How are you powering the fridge? 110v or 12v under the dash?

Also any comments on energy drain?

I’m planning a multi month road trip and thinking of doing something similar to your setup but I saw a video mentioning that the outlet drains a lot of power when on, so I’m a bit worried about that especially overnight when camping.

I have ran it from both the 110V in back and the 12V in the tunnel. 12V is the preferred way. It does draw power but I haven't noticed a huge loss. I have been meaning to take some measurements with just the 110V and the fridge on now that I have a good idea how much vampire power I lose daily. My last trip out was 4 days but I did some limited driving and ran other items so I don't have a good feel for it. On extended trips I will take my goal zero and a solar panel. I can run the fridge off it indefinitely and can even remove the fridge and leave it at camp if needed.

StanleySoManly

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I have ran it from both the 110V in back and the 12V in the tunnel. 12V is the preferred way. It does draw power but I haven't noticed a huge loss. I have been meaning to take some measurements with just the 110V and the fridge on now that I have a good idea how much vampire power I lose daily. My last trip out was 4 days but I did some limited driving and ran other items so I don't have a good feel for it. On extended trips I will take my goal zero and a solar panel. I can run the fridge off it indefinitely and can even remove the fridge and leave it at camp if needed.
Appreciate the insight. Why is 12V the preferred way? I'm pretty new to overlanding / truck camping so I appreciate the ELI5 explanations. Usually I am on the motorbike when camping/adventuring so I just eat freeze dried meals but for a multi month road trip and the space in the truck, I don't want to do that anymore.

I'm concerned that if there is something plugged into the outlets the truck won't be able to go to sleep although i'm not sure if this is true or not.

For my trip I don't see myself getting to a campsite and setting up for multiple days at a time and Ideally I don't want to buy more stuff for this trip (like your goal zero). This anker cooler looks interesting as it's a similar size to the 50qt ARB but can run itself off the integrated battery so theoretically, I could unplug the fridge every night so the truck can sleep but that's a pain in the ass.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Brewbud

Brewbud

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
The reason 12V is preferred is the fridge is actually has a 12V compressor in it. If you run 110V the Rivian has stepped up the 12V to 110V and then the fridge drops it back down to 12V. It is less efficient to do that.

I looked at the Anker when they were doing their pre-orders. I figured I would wait and see how they do. I have had the ARB for about 7 years now and it has been flawless. In the Rivian you can use camp mode with power set to on to keep some of the power off and not have lights and other stuff come on. I don't think the trucks sleeps, but like I mentioned, I haven't had a huge power loss. It works very well for me.

StanleySoManly

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
The reason 12V is preferred is the fridge is actually has a 12V compressor in it. If you run 110V the Rivian has stepped up the 12V to 110V and then the fridge drops it back down to 12V. It is less efficient to do that.

I looked at the Anker when they were doing their pre-orders. I figured I would wait and see how they do. I have had the ARB for about 7 years now and it has been flawless. In the Rivian you can use camp mode with power set to on to keep some of the power off and not have lights and other stuff come on. I don't think the trucks sleeps, but like I mentioned, I haven't had a huge power loss. It works very well for me.
Gotcha. Thanks for all the information, I appreciate it a lot.

StanleySoManly

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
@Brewbud I'm planning to run the same setup as you (with the platform). If you could provide as much information as you're willing to that would be very helpful. Dimensions of the platform, how you built it, how you secured the platform / fridge. Anything and anything you're willing to share would be amazing.

Thanks
Sponsored