Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Too many to list, I have a problem!
Occupation
Mech. E/GM/COO
Clubs

Afternoon everyone!

I figured I would share my 3 months of ownership and my experience thus far.

I drive a lot, 1hr commute each way to and from my office. I spent 18yrs working locally so the last 5yrs are offsetting that one, haha!

The R1T has been a nice change to my commute!

The ideal scenario for my commute, which includes my daily gym trip, the drive from the gym to my office, and any errands on my way home (if needed). I live easily within the 20 - 70% SOC that Rivian offers as its "DAILY" charging limit.

My typical week looks like the following:

Sunday evening only if needed I will schedule a minimum amount of charging time while at home to get the truck's SOC to about 100-120miles before I leave for the gym in the morning.

My trip from home to the gym(8miles) and then from the gym to my office is 55miles, so 63miles in total and typically I will arrive at work with about 40-60miles remaining.

Monday: While at work I charge using an Emporia Energy L2 (48a) charger (Highly Recommended, $450) and I will charger until I hit the 70% limit.

Monday Evening: Drive home (arrive w/174miles) and NO charging at home Monday evening.

Tuesday Morning: Drive back to gym and office arriving with roughly 111miles remaining, plug in and charge to 70%.

Wed, Thur. & Fri: The rest of my week is drive, charge, repeat with no effort.

On Friday's I tend to work later and get some extra juice into the battery usually I just bump the limit to 85% and forget about it.

If my weekend looks to be a busy one I will charge at home but typically I have been averaging 4hrs or less over the weekend and often times no need to charge at home.

It's been great so far given the price of fuel and what it was costing me previously in my Audi Allroad each week.

Rivian R1T R1S My experience & data log - Daily Commute in R1T, 125-150 miles/day 8k-miles-

As you can see my build has the 21" road wheels and tires, overall I think 2.73mi/kwh average is pretty dam good! The mix of my 63mile daily commute is about 15miles city driving and the remaining 48ish on the highway with cruise set from 73-76mph.

In addition I leave my cross bars installed on the bed rails 95% of the time and even my hitch bike rack on the back for several days at a time if I am not riding from my house.

My electric rate at work (daytime peak) varies from about about $.11 - $.13/kw so in effect the 8,000miles have cost an average of $361 in total!

Rivian R1T R1S My experience & data log - Daily Commute in R1T, 125-150 miles/day l2-charging-work-

My 14' Audi Allroad would have cost me about $1,890 in total!

Broken down as $1,760 (25mpg) in fuel (93octane @ $5.50/gal) for the same 8,000miles driven in addition to $130 for 2 oil changes (not including my labor).

Overall I am very pleased with the truck and look forward to ownership and racking up more miles...
Sponsored

Last edited:

mohab

First Name
MOHAB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ram 1500 LongHorn , Challenger Scat pack, BMW X3
Occupation
PHARMACIST
your daily life same like mine except I do not go to the gym , that is why i installed the faster charger ( Rivian ) at work and , also I do 85mph cruise control on the highway . I do not have good average number yet since I have the truck for only one week ( before it towed to service center )
by the way Rivian speedometer is 3 mph off , so when you see 75 on the screen you are driving 72mph in reality . also I noticed Rivian gets home faster because the faster acceleration of the traffic lights and turns.

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
You're going to have 35K miles on your R1T in one year!

I guess we're going to find the tread life of the 21"s pretty quick....

E Parx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Thanks for sharing.

Impressive efficiency on the 21s.

Are you using Conserve for your commute or staying in AP mode?

I'd also be curious to hear if you are seeing a significant difference with aero caps on vs off.

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Tesla Model Y, Zero DSR/X, '69 CJ5
Occupation
Product Management
your daily life same like mine except I do not go to the gym , that is why i installed the faster charger ( Rivian ) at work and , also I do 85mph cruise control on the highway . I do not have good average number yet since I have the truck for only one week ( before it towed to service center )
by the way Rivian speedometer is 3 mph off , so when you see 75 on the screen you are driving 72mph in reality . also I noticed Rivian gets home faster because the faster acceleration of the traffic lights and turns.
It's actually not a fixed 3 mph, it's approximately 5%, and Rivian has stated that they intend to reduce the offset in the future: Speedo is high by several MPH : Rivian (reddit.com)

FYI, a speedometer offset is pretty typical for all vehicles.

Sponsored

mohab

First Name
MOHAB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ram 1500 LongHorn , Challenger Scat pack, BMW X3
Occupation
PHARMACIST

Batman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S Launch Edition; Kia Telluride SX-P
Do you pay for your charging time at work?

OP
OP
FirstStateR1T

FirstStateR1T

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Mech. E/GM/COO
Clubs

I have Level 2, 48amp charging at both home and the office, Rivian charger at home and Emporia at work.

I am aware of the 3mph, and I take a lot of calls on my drive so going much faster would only get me in trouble. I have weekend cars for that...

OP
OP
FirstStateR1T

FirstStateR1T

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Mech. E/GM/COO
Clubs

OP
OP
FirstStateR1T

FirstStateR1T

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Mech. E/GM/COO
Clubs

Thanks for sharing.

Impressive efficiency on the 21s.

Are you using Conserve for your commute or staying in AP mode?

I'd also be curious to hear if you are seeing a significant difference with aero caps on vs off.
M-F I am typically in Conserve

Sat - Sun I use AP and Sport from time to time

The 21's have been great! I will be plotting my tread wear since I will be rotating them very soon and would like to predict a service life. I also have a full size spare so my current debate is do I rotate in the spare for longer life and even wear...

The Aero vs No Covers is something I tried for a week, and dammit that week was full of traffic, construction and accidents so the comparison was full of garbage data. I will do this test again, [S00N]

Last edited:

Sponsored

Batman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
NO! Perk of the job that I negotiated on my last review, haha
Just asked the wife to investigate the charging stations at her work to see if one has to pay for it.

E Parx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
M-F I am typically in Conserve

Sat - Sun I use AP and Sport from time to time

The 21's have been great! I will be plotting my thread wear since I will be rotating them very soon and would like to predict a service life. I also have a full size spare so my current debate is do I rotate in the spare for longer life and even wear...

The Aero vs No Covers is something I tried for a week, and dammit that week was full of traffic, construction and accidents so the comparison was full of garbage data. I will do this test again, [S00N]
Good to know on using Conserve for commutes. I've gotten 2.33 mi/kWh with the ATs but I've also done a lot of 4x4ing and plugging in while camping up in the mountains plus I rarely use Conserve and drive it like I stole it most days. Gotta love that thinner air here in Denver!

I look forward to hearing about observed differences with and without the aero covers as well as about tire wear. The SC here replaced my fronts at 3500 miles due to excessive wear when I had it in for an alignment issue. Unclear if the tires were faulty, the alignment/shake caused it or my driving habits did.

Thanks again for sharing!

Last edited:

Batman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Just asked the wife to investigate the charging stations at her work to see if one has to pay for it.
So apparently it is free to charge at work. I will use your strategy of mainly charging at work and emergency charge at home. Flippin shweet!

ironpig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2015 4Runner, 1975 FJ55 Land Cruiser
Nice write up. Your efficiency is admirable. I do a lot of stop and go city driving during the week and I'm in AP mode 90% of the time so I'll be lucky to average over 2.

Hope you continue to have an enjoyable experience with your truck.

RivnSoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
X5, ZHP, R1T, E36 M3
Occupation
Tax payer
@FirstStateR1T thanks for sharing!

I too commute crazy distance to work - 189 miles exactly roundtrip door to door 4x week.
I am at 2.77kw/mile and average speed 54mph. I do 70-80 mph for about 50 of the first miles, then I hit stoplights and stop signs for rest. All in conserve mode, aero covers on, AC set on 70F and some ventilated seat use, mild hypermilling. I also do the 70% SoC, charge at night at home, return home between 18-20% remaining. Have a free L2 at work, but the 2h limit at 8kw makes it not worth it.
I am super happy with the gas savings as well! Only issue I have is the damn hood keeps unlatching randomly. Customer service cares so much they call me as much as 4x a day, and then the next guy the next day cares none...
Sponsored