First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW eGolf
Occupation
Filmmaker
Would love to do a rocky mountain Rivian gathering. Looked like the event was going to wrap either yesterday or today, but I can't confirm. The press were definitely driving the trucks, but I didn't see any specific/identifiable media outlets there.
It's on! Rocky Mountain Rivian's? Rocky Mountain Riviots? ...

Still wishing I would have just up and gone to Breck when I first heard. Darn kid responsibilities! :)
Sponsored

obababoy

First Name
Chilbo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 LR Discovery, 2011 WRX/STI, 2021 Palisade
Occupation
Cyber
Clubs

Sounds like a great day but am I the only one who kinda rolls my eyes when people praise RJ? I just don't get how people are surprised he is a personable person during the launch of his 40 billion dollar empire? It is a bit cringy, but maybe I am just a luddite to California based mega companies and their marketing :)
Don't get me wrong, I think this is a cool company in comparison to others, it is a bit more earth friendly, I am obsessed with this truck and CANNOT wait to get mine, but I just twitch a bit when people gag on marketing hype.

Mjhirsch78

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Odyssey became an R1T: MAGIC!
Occupation
Teacher
It is not marketing hype to highlight the way a leader interacts with people and the way employees feel about the environment set up in a company. Yes, people selling a new company have an incentive to be fake. However, the onslaught of RJ interactions with the amount of time folks spent with him make it harder to see his kindness and thoughtfulness as publicity rather than personality. Knowing the person at the top talks directly to an older woman, makes his team wait while setting up a huge marketing event so he can chat with a person who has already committed to his product, and takes time to truly listen before talking are all good signs for us as customers. It makes me more confident that he will have employees willing to give ideas and customer input driving decisions.

Scott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Forester, VW ID.4, R1S on preorder
Clubs

It is not marketing hype to highlight the way a leader interacts with people and the way employees feel about the environment set up in a company. Yes, people selling a new company have an incentive to be fake. However, the onslaught of RJ interactions with the amount of time folks spent with him make it harder to see his kindness and thoughtfulness as publicity rather than personality. Knowing the person at the top talks directly to an older woman, makes his team wait while setting up a huge marketing event so he can chat with a person who has already committed to his product, and takes time to truly listen before talking are all good signs for us as customers. It makes me more confident that he will have employees willing to give ideas and customer input driving decisions.
I think @obababoy ’s point is that nearly all of these interactions are taking place at car shows or media events. RJ has cleared his schedule and is in “brand ambassador” mode. You can’t totally hide your real personality so he likely is a good and genuine person, but there are a ton of executives who can crank up the charm when needed. It may or not apply to RJ, but he has a good point.

OP
OP
cohall

cohall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Sounds like a great day but am I the only one who kinda rolls my eyes when people praise RJ? I just don't get how people are surprised he is a personable person during the launch of his 40 billion dollar empire? It is a bit cringy, but maybe I am just a luddite to California based mega companies and their marketing :)
Don't get me wrong, I think this is a cool company in comparison to others, it is a bit more earth friendly, I am obsessed with this truck and CANNOT wait to get mine, but I just twitch a bit when people gag on marketing hype.
I think @obababoy ’s point is that nearly all of these interactions are taking place at car shows or media events. RJ has cleared his schedule and is in “brand ambassador” mode. You can’t totally hide your real personality so he likely is a good and genuine person, but there are a ton of executives who can crank up the charm when needed. It may or not apply to RJ, but he has a good point.
I’m sorry to hear my fun encounter made you cringe. That certainly was not my intent.

Without getting into the weeds, I can tell you that I have a very honed BS detector when it comes to high-level execs. He wasn’t putting on a show. If RJ was concerned about being in “marketing mode”, he would’ve targeted his attention to the people there that actually could have some sway…the real media folks.

He chose, instead, to spend a significant amount of time with two nobodies. He wasn’t marketing, he was clearly pleased to show off what he’s built to someone who was excited to see it. Thats all.

I’ve been on the forum a long time. I’m just as likely to post something negative as I am positive, if I think they deserve it…and sometimes they do. But not this time, that’s for sure.

Hope that helps provide some context!

Last edited:

Sponsored

IHScout

First Name
Waid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevrolet Volt, Expedition
I’m sorry to hear my fun encounter made you cringe. That certainly was not my intent.

Without getting into the weeds, I can tell you that I have a very honed BS detector when it comes to high-level execs. He wasn’t putting on a show. If RJ was concerned about being in “marketing mode”, he would’ve targeted his attention to the people there that actually could have some sway…the real media folks.

He chose, instead, to spend a significant amount of time with two nobodies. He wasn’t marketing, he was clearly pleased to show off what he’s built to someone who was excited to see it. Thats all.

I’ve been on the forum a long time. I’m just as likely to post something negative as I am positive, if I think they deserve it…and sometimes they do. But not this time, that’s for sure.

Hope that helps provide some context!
Rivian R1T R1S My Day With RJ Scaringe — A Lucky Encounter & R1T Impressions c6ee18e82982d17029eddb72ff5a83cd

TPL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Toyota Sequoia, KTM 690 Enduro R
I might have missed it, but ANY info on when there might be test drives in the Denver area?

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
You ever meet someone who is proud of what they/their company has made and is keen to show it off? That’s not marketing hype.

that‘s how it read to me. Not sure how the current head office location of this previously Florida then Michigan hq’d company plays into the equation.

prcouture

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mercedes S350, VW Golf, Kit Cobra
Occupation
Sales Manager
I wanted to share a quick story with you guys. It was a lucky chance encounter that made my day/week/month.

TLDR - Got a personal tour of the R1T by RJ. He was amazingly gracious, friendly, approachable, and an all-around great guy. Read on if you'd like the full story.

So as you may have seen, there is a media event happening in the mountains of Colorado at the moment. I knew approximately where they might be, but hadn't had the time to drive from Denver to see if I can find them. But then on Tuesday night, I get a call from my mother telling me she just spotted a bunch of Rivians not 5 minutes from their home in Breckenridge. That's all the encouragement I needed to take a drive up the mountains.

I cruise up, make a quick stop to grab my mother, and have her jump in the car with me to point out where she saw them. 5 minutes later, I'm in a parking lot with no less than 6 shiny R1Ts. Having never spotted one before, I was stoked.

We hop out of the car (Well, I hop out. My mom is in her mid/late 70's, so her exit wasn't quite as 'hoppy'), and started taking a close-up look at a forest green with forest edge interior truck. Beautiful. The window was rolled down, so we were able to get a great view of the interior. There were a few Rivian folks milling around so we tried to stay away and not be a burden or bother. Despite getting a few odd looks, they just let us poke around undisturbed, which was nice.

After a few minutes of peering around, we were about to leave. But I see a familiar face walking in our general direction. It was RJ! I said hello and he introduced himself, and then he went way above and beyond. He gave us a personal tour of the entire R1T, top to bottom, front to back. Showing us all the different features and functions. Answering my million questions. Put up with me pestering him about when the test drives will start in Colorado, the status of the service center in Denver, when deliveries are going to start, etc. Then he asked me to get in the vehicle and let him know what I thought of the seats, the interior, explained the process for making sure the wood dash looked just right, what he thought about certain interior/exterior color combos. He even was pulling out and showing off the flashlight and bluetooth speaker to my mother.

He spent a good 20 minutes with us, just one on one showing us everything you could imagine about the truck. It was fantastic, and I was truly impressed with how nice he was, how warm he was to my mother, and generally just giving us two randos undivided attention despite needing to get ready for the media event, and having several of his people waiting around to get his attention for what I'm assuming were fairly pressing needs.

After RJ finally had to let us go, he pointed us toward the El Cap truck that had the camp kitchen going, making dinner for the media folks. He instructed his head chef/kitchen designer to stop what he was doing, so that he could give us a full demonstration of how the kitchen worked, what was included, etc. etc. Who does that for a dude just interrupting their big media day?

We were able to see almost all the colors, except LG, Limestone, and Red. RJ kept asking his people where the LG truck was, when it would be back, trying to do what he could to ensure I would get to see it (it's the color I have on order).

We spent another 10 minutes looking at the other trucks that were there, the different interior options, etc. Basically just an awesome chance experience.

Bottom line, RJ is as good a guy as @DuckTruck described him to be. He went way out of his way to make us feel welcome at a time that I assumed we would not be welcome at all.

That's my story...

PS. I tried to see if RJ could move me up on the list...but I don't think I was successful :)
PPS. Drove by this morning and they had Canyon Red parked out front. It looks awesome.

Updated with impressions of the Rivian R1T:

-The vehicles have an impressive presence and stance, that I wasn't expecting. They're not enormous, but when you stand next to them, you feel like you're next to something very substantial
-The front end looks way better in person than it does in photos
-The front seats are ridiculously comfortable
-I liked silver and white significantly more than I thought I would. Both compete for number 2 on my list of colors
-The roof seemed to let just the right amount of light into the cabin
-The wheels/tires looked really big in person (all of them were on the 20's)

Happy to answer any other specific questions folks may have.

1632419660032.png
Great story. Thanks for sharing. Quick question considering you had your mother with you. How high is the entrance to the truck and did your Mom have any problem getting in and out? My wife is 5'1" and this will be her daily driver. In a chat, they stated it had a "kneel mode" which keeps the truck low when in Park. Just trying to get a first hand opinion of how low is low. Thanks!

Sponsored

OP
OP
cohall

cohall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Great story. Thanks for sharing. Quick question considering you had your mother with you. How high is the entrance to the truck and did your Mom have any problem getting in and out? My wife is 5'1" and this will be her daily driver. In a chat, they stated it had a "kneel mode" which keeps the truck low when in Park. Just trying to get a first hand opinion of how low is low. Thanks!
Thanks very much. The kneel mode gets pretty low. So low the tires are somewhat up into the fenders (you can't see the top of the tires behind the fender). Assuming there's a way for the truck to automatically drop into kneel when it's put in park, I don't see it being a massive issue for your wife.

prcouture

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mercedes S350, VW Golf, Kit Cobra
Occupation
Sales Manager
Thanks very much. The kneel mode gets pretty low. So low the tires are somewhat up into the fenders (you can't see the top of the tires behind the fender). Assuming there's a way for the truck to automatically drop into kneel when it's put in park, I don't see it being a massive issue for your wife.
Awesome. Thanks for the info. She drove an F350 before and now that we're a little older she is really concerned about climbing in. When I chatted with Rivian, sounds like you can program it to go into kneel mode automatically when in Park.

Craigins

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Software engineer
Clubs

My mom has a collapsible step stool with a string tied to it in order to get into my Ram. Works pretty good, climb in, pull up, collapse and put it under your feet. probably wouldn't want it on the floor of the drivers side though.

OP
OP
cohall

cohall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
I want to sincerely apologize to anyone who made an investment, reservation, or was impacted in any way by my encounter.

I personally convinced 4 other people to make reservations based on my meeting with RJ. I'm truly embarrassed, and all 4 have now canceled their reservations.

I honestly thought Rivian was a stand-up company.

I was duped, and I'm sorry.

Last edited:

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
I want to sincerely apologize to anyone who made an investment, reservation, or was impacted in any way by my encounter.

I personally convinced 4 other people to make reservations based on my meeting with RJ. I'm truly embarrassed, and all 4 have now canceled their reservations.

I honestly thought RJ was a stand-up guy. I was duped, and I'm sorry.
No need to apologize. We all held the same opinions.
Sponsored