First Name
Rodolfo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model 3, BMW i3
Occupation
Finance
I had the impression both from Transport Evolved and Inside Evs (Tom Moloughney) that Monday, the 27th would be the end of the embargo.
You’re right, I saw the wrong week on the calendar.
Sponsored

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
very cool. Glad to see RJ is as we'd expect. A pretty awesome sincere guy.

Pixelshot

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW eGolf
Occupation
Filmmaker
@cohall - thank you for sharing all of this! Wow, this story just reinforces all I’ve been told about RJ and the vibe at Rivian. I was talking with someone who was at the first drive event who talked about how impressed she was how the employees responded to seeing RJ on the factory floor. They didn’t flinch when he approached them. They could tell he was ”one of them” and he treated them as such. That tells me that the culture at the company is this way even when the cameras are not in the room.

By the way, as @DuckTruck pointed out - we CO folks need to get together! (I‘d love to chat! - I’ll msg you directly.) We need to start planning our Rivian Rocky Mountain Caravans! I only wish I would have followed my gut and just drove up to Breckenridge when I heard about this!

Any word on how long the event was (is?) or what exactly they were doing? (I presume some press folks were invited and able to drive the trucks for a day. Sounds like they are embargoed till Monday.) Did you see any specific news groups there?

Ssaygmo

First Name
Sage
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt
Awesome write up. Thanks for sharing. I'm glad to hear RJ is a stand up guy and equally glad you were impressed with the trucks!

Did you ask or RJ point out or describe the extra protection from the off road package? I'm curious to see what this is physically and how much protection it actually adds, aside from the benefit of the tow hooks?

Also, any indications of production ramp up timing or how many trucks they'll get to customers in the coming months?
Very interested in this actually. You could put together a VERY stout underbody package and tow hooks for the price of that package, hope its THICK aluminum panels or something. Expecting the aftermarket to come up with some solutions plus more (rock sliders) in the next several years as thousands of r1t/r1s flood the roads and don't want to pony up front.

Riviandog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla model s , model y
Occupation
RF Engineer
I wanted to share a quick story with you guys. It was a lucky chance encounter that made my day/week/month.

TLDR - Got a personal tour of the R1T by RJ. He was amazingly gracious, friendly, approachable, and an all-around great guy. Read on if you'd like the full story.

So as you may have seen, there is a media event happening in the mountains of Colorado at the moment. I knew approximately where they might be, but hadn't had the time to drive from Denver to see if I can find them. But then on Tuesday night, I get a call from my mother telling me she just spotted a bunch of Rivians not 5 minutes from their home in Breckenridge. That's all the encouragement I needed to take a drive up the mountains.

I cruise up, make a quick stop to grab my mother, and have her jump in the car with me to point out where she saw them. 5 minutes later, I'm in a parking lot with no less than 6 shiny R1Ts. Having never spotted one before, I was stoked.

We hop out of the car (Well, I hop out. My mom is in her mid/late 70's, so her exit wasn't quite as 'hoppy'), and started taking a close-up look at a forest green with forest edge interior truck. Beautiful. The window was rolled down, so we were able to get a great view of the interior. There were a few Rivian folks milling around so we tried to stay away and not be a burden or bother. Despite getting a few odd looks, they just let us poke around undisturbed, which was nice.

After a few minutes of peering around, we were about to leave. But I see a familiar face walking in our general direction. It was RJ! I said hello and he introduced himself, and then he went way above and beyond. He gave us a personal tour of the entire R1T, top to bottom, front to back. Showing us all the different features and functions. Answering my million questions. Put up with me pestering him about when the test drives will start in Colorado, the status of the service center in Denver, when deliveries are going to start, etc. Then he asked me to get in the vehicle and let him know what I thought of the seats, the interior, explained the process for making sure the wood dash looked just right, what he thought about certain interior/exterior color combos. He even was pulling out and showing off the flashlight and bluetooth speaker to my mother.

He spent a good 20 minutes with us, just one on one showing us everything you could imagine about the truck. It was fantastic, and I was truly impressed with how nice he was, how warm he was to my mother, and generally just giving us two randos undivided attention despite needing to get ready for the media event, and having several of his people waiting around to get his attention for what I'm assuming were fairly pressing needs.

After RJ finally had to let us go, he pointed us toward the El Cap truck that had the camp kitchen going, making dinner for the media folks. He instructed his head chef/kitchen designer to stop what he was doing, so that he could give us a full demonstration of how the kitchen worked, what was included, etc. etc. Who does that for a dude just interrupting their big media day?

We were able to see almost all the colors, except LG, Limestone, and Red. RJ kept asking his people where the LG truck was, when it would be back, trying to do what he could to ensure I would get to see it (it's the color I have on order).

We spent another 10 minutes looking at the other trucks that were there, the different interior options, etc. Basically just an awesome chance experience.

Bottom line, RJ is as good a guy as @DuckTruck described him to be. He went way out of his way to make us feel welcome at a time that I assumed we would not be welcome at all.

That's my story...

PS. I tried to see if RJ could move me up on the list...but I don't think I was successful :)
PPS. Drove by this morning and they had Canyon Red parked out front. It looks awesome.

Updated with impressions of the Rivian R1T:

-The vehicles have an impressive presence and stance, that I wasn't expecting. They're not enormous, but when you stand next to them, you feel like you're next to something very substantial
-The front end looks way better in person than it does in photos
-The front seats are ridiculously comfortable
-I liked silver and white significantly more than I thought I would. Both compete for number 2 on my list of colors
-The roof seemed to let just the right amount of light into the cabin
-The wheels/tires looked really big in person (all of them were on the 20's)

Happy to answer any other specific questions folks may have.

1632419660032.png
I wanted to share a quick story with you guys. It was a lucky chance encounter that made my day/week/month.

TLDR - Got a personal tour of the R1T by RJ. He was amazingly gracious, friendly, approachable, and an all-around great guy. Read on if you'd like the full story.

So as you may have seen, there is a media event happening in the mountains of Colorado at the moment. I knew approximately where they might be, but hadn't had the time to drive from Denver to see if I can find them. But then on Tuesday night, I get a call from my mother telling me she just spotted a bunch of Rivians not 5 minutes from their home in Breckenridge. That's all the encouragement I needed to take a drive up the mountains.

I cruise up, make a quick stop to grab my mother, and have her jump in the car with me to point out where she saw them. 5 minutes later, I'm in a parking lot with no less than 6 shiny R1Ts. Having never spotted one before, I was stoked.

We hop out of the car (Well, I hop out. My mom is in her mid/late 70's, so her exit wasn't quite as 'hoppy'), and started taking a close-up look at a forest green with forest edge interior truck. Beautiful. The window was rolled down, so we were able to get a great view of the interior. There were a few Rivian folks milling around so we tried to stay away and not be a burden or bother. Despite getting a few odd looks, they just let us poke around undisturbed, which was nice.

After a few minutes of peering around, we were about to leave. But I see a familiar face walking in our general direction. It was RJ! I said hello and he introduced himself, and then he went way above and beyond. He gave us a personal tour of the entire R1T, top to bottom, front to back. Showing us all the different features and functions. Answering my million questions. Put up with me pestering him about when the test drives will start in Colorado, the status of the service center in Denver, when deliveries are going to start, etc. Then he asked me to get in the vehicle and let him know what I thought of the seats, the interior, explained the process for making sure the wood dash looked just right, what he thought about certain interior/exterior color combos. He even was pulling out and showing off the flashlight and bluetooth speaker to my mother.

He spent a good 20 minutes with us, just one on one showing us everything you could imagine about the truck. It was fantastic, and I was truly impressed with how nice he was, how warm he was to my mother, and generally just giving us two randos undivided attention despite needing to get ready for the media event, and having several of his people waiting around to get his attention for what I'm assuming were fairly pressing needs.

After RJ finally had to let us go, he pointed us toward the El Cap truck that had the camp kitchen going, making dinner for the media folks. He instructed his head chef/kitchen designer to stop what he was doing, so that he could give us a full demonstration of how the kitchen worked, what was included, etc. etc. Who does that for a dude just interrupting their big media day?

We were able to see almost all the colors, except LG, Limestone, and Red. RJ kept asking his people where the LG truck was, when it would be back, trying to do what he could to ensure I would get to see it (it's the color I have on order).

We spent another 10 minutes looking at the other trucks that were there, the different interior options, etc. Basically just an awesome chance experience.

Bottom line, RJ is as good a guy as @DuckTruck described him to be. He went way out of his way to make us feel welcome at a time that I assumed we would not be welcome at all.

That's my story...

PS. I tried to see if RJ could move me up on the list...but I don't think I was successful :)
PPS. Drove by this morning and they had Canyon Red parked out front. It looks awesome.

-The vehicles have an impressive presence and stance, that I wasn't expecting. They're not enormous, but when you stand next to them, you feel like you're next to something very substantial
-I liked silver and white significantly more than I thought I would. Both compete for number 2 on my list of colors

1632419660032.png
Met RJ at LA Auto show at debut. We chatted and he was very personable talking about his wife and sons to me. Very down to earth CEO.

Sponsored

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

Met RJ at LA Auto show at debut. We chatted and he was very personable talking about his wife and sons to me. Very down to earth CEO.
I was fortunate enough to have a similar experience two years ago (9/27/2019) at the Seattle roll-out event. As several of you have mentioned here, RJ was, and remains very unassuming and open to technical questions, as well as personal chit-chat.

The event left me with similar impressions regarding employees feeling right at home around him, and all of them clearly knew they were thought of as important members of the internal process of bringing one of his dreams to life.

I was already completely on board with Rivian, RJ, and the R1 vehicles, but that evening's interaction and education about the company and it's mission really set the hook, and set it deep. One thing I am confused about is why I look four years older and RJ looks the same age? I half-expected that when they rolled out colors, I'd find R1T's and R1S's available in Dorian Gray.

The cool part is that I feel just like I did as a kid on Christmas morning, 1971, knowing that a new blue Schwinn Continental 10-speed was waiting for me under the tree. I was up at 5 a.m. and ready to roll right out that front door! Yep, 50 years ago, as a 14-year old kid, I was ready to explore the world. "Seek Adventure", some might say. I'm ready to do it again.

Much of that building excitement comes from the good fortune I've had since discovering Rivian 2½ years ago this past Sunday, the 19th. (Told you I have CDO!) ?
Getting invited to Normal was such an amazing thrill and unbelievable experience, but becoming a part of this community has also been truly wonderful! We need to keep it going, even when we're rolling around the country in our R1's.

I've never thought I'll change the world, but it's certainly a great ride hitching my wagon to a company and a movement that will. Rivian will help drive the world to going electric.

Two and a half years, and the Perma-Grim is growing wider and wider every day! I feel like it's 4:58 on Christmas morning....

Rivian R1T R1S My Day With RJ Scaringe — A Lucky Encounter & R1T Impressions 20190927_170954

CharonPDX

First Name
Charon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, Mach-E, Arcimoto FUV, Repl: F-250/Model S
Occupation
InfoSec Geek
Clubs

Ha! My folks recently celebrated their 50th anniversary, so you may need to speak to my father. My mom is indeed a rockstar.
Congrats to them! My parents celebrate their 50th next month! (And my 20th is next year.)

fedarga

First Name
Dawit
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Passport

That's my story...

1632419660032.png
I appreciate you for letting us know your experience. It does mean a lot RJ interaction with you how he would like the consumers needs to be attained to by employees of Rivian.

ja_kub_sz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 LR Discovery, 2019 LR Range Rover Velar
@DuckTruck and @cohall

Yeah, RJ is an incredibly approachable and down to earth person (not too mention smart!).

Talked with him in New York at the first Rivian engagement event, asked him when he was gonna change the name of the street the plant was on (my families farm is right by there). The next time I saw him in Colorado for the very next preorder engagement event I think he was surprised to see me there when I said hello. He told me how much he appreciated all my support and how much I shared with other guest that night (all the info from Brian Gase in NYC who couldn't make it).

Kid you not, after it was over RJ had both my wife and I jump in an Uber with him and grabbed dinner with the entire Rivian team in downtown Denver.

Seriously had my wife and I at the table with him talking cars, life and whatever else came up for a couple of hours.

It was laughably enjoyable, I'm still kinda like "can't believe that happened".

He sold me on more then EV's that night!
Rivian R1T R1S My Day With RJ Scaringe — A Lucky Encounter & R1T Impressions 0412192018_HDR

MReda

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi S4, Lexus LX470
I hope you and I get the chance to visit over the phone soon. I know if they give us the chance to have a "Pickup² Event" in Normal, I'll be staying in Denver with family for a day or two on My Long Way Home. I would enjoy getting together with you for dinner while I'm there, possibly with @MReda and any others who might want to join in.
Yup.

Sponsored

aex90832

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Pacifica Hybrid, 2019 GT350
Occupation
CyberSecurity
asked him when he was gonna change the name of the street the plant was on
Can confirm that the road is renamed to "Rivian Motorway."

Swung by this past Sunday to see the factory up close while returning from visiting family up in Michigan. We live in the Scott AFB area just outside the greater St. Louis area. Quite a bit of construction going on right next to it.

Very excited to be able to see a R1T up close when I have a chance. Was going to get a R1S but wife got tired of waiting, so we bought a van instead. R1T for me!!

Shameless picture of my V8 gas guzzler below....

Rivian R1T R1S My Day With RJ Scaringe — A Lucky Encounter & R1T Impressions IMG_20210919_112110 - Copy

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

@DuckTruck and @cohall

Yeah, RJ is an incredibly approachable and down to earth person (not too mention smart!).

Talked with him in New York at the first Rivian engagement event, asked him when he was gonna change the name of the street the plant was on (my families farm is right by there). The next time I saw him in Colorado for the very next preorder engagement event I think he was surprised to see me there when I said hello. He told me how much he appreciated all my support and how much I shared with other guest that night (all the info from Brian Gase in NYC who couldn't make it).

Kid you not, after it was over RJ had both my wife and I jump in an Uber with him and grabbed dinner with the entire Rivian team in downtown Denver.

Seriously had my wife and I at the table with him talking cars, life and whatever else came up for a couple of hours.

It was laughably enjoyable, I'm still kinda like "can't believe that happened".

He sold me on more then EV's that night!
0412192018_HDR.jpg
Again, another story that makes me feel great right down to my soul. I remembered our back and forth following your RJ/Brian-encounter in New York that sounded almost magical, and now this! Too bad Brian couldn't also be there with the three of you in Denver. He's a great guy as well and another one that seems to be blessed with a big brain, to go along with a great sense of humor. It's also not lost on me that RJ and Brian are really solid family guys with young kids and they they seem pretty squarely rooted. That all came through very early in talking with them.

Had it not been for the silent running we were asked to do adhere to while in Normal, I would have reached out to you to get together. Should I ever get the opportunity to come back again, I will certainly be in touch early to see what we can do to get together for dinner. I fell in love with Normal while there, especially the people and the shops along West North Street and walking the Northern stretch of the Constitution Trail.

Take care and thanks again forgetting my day and weekend off to a such a great start!

dmnyc

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Highlander

That's my story...

1632419660032.png
I met RJ at the 2019 New York Auto Show private event for preorder holders. He was mobbed but took the time to chat with me and my wife. We had our 7-month-old old baby with us, and he remarked that he was officially the youngest Rivian owner in the room, before telling me about his three boys. An absolute rockstar of a CEO. (I wish I'd remembered to grab a selfie!)

Rivian R1T R1S My Day With RJ Scaringe — A Lucky Encounter & R1T Impressions rivian-fam.JPG

jimrichard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2003 Toyota Tundra, 2017 Infiniti Q50
Occupation
Self

That's my story...

1632419660032.png
A friend of mine saw 3 Rivians cruising in Denver going East on I 76 this week Monday or Tuesday. Not sure where they were going but said they looked cool cruzing down the road together.

OP
OP
cohall

cohall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Just catching up on things. Very much appreciate that you all enjoyed reading my tale!
Did you happen to ask about Conserve mode?
Did you happen to catch which media outlets were there and any timing on when they will be able to share?
-I think I saw conserve as one of the modes, but keep in mind these were not the "sellable" version of the trucks, so I wouldn't bet on it as confirmed just yet

- None of the media folks that I saw were identifiable, unfortunately

If you didn't have it in your "sit/lean way back" position, how would you say the legroom is?
Is there any other way to sit? :) I think the leg room would be good sitting behind someone in a normal seating position
What is the process of getting the wood dash just right that RJ described to you?
Sorry, my statement wasn't totally clear. I don't actually know the final process. RJ was telling me that it was extremely difficult to make real wood look like real wood, and that they had to spend a lot of time perfecting their processes to make it look just how they wanted
@cohall great story. Tell your mom thanks for getting you to make the drive over.
I will!
By the way, as [USER=1970]@DuckTruck pointed out - we CO folks need to get together! (I‘d love to chat! - I’ll msg you directly.) We need to start planning our Rivian Rocky Mountain Caravans! I only wish I would have followed my gut and just drove up to Breckenridge when I heard about this!

Any word on how long the event was (is?) or what exactly they were doing? (I presume some press folks were invited and able to drive the trucks for a day. Sounds like they are embargoed till Monday.) Did you see any specific news groups there?
Would love to do a rocky mountain Rivian gathering. Looked like the event was going to wrap either yesterday or today, but I can't confirm. The press were definitely driving the trucks, but I didn't see any specific/identifiable media outlets there.
Sponsored

Last edited: