Charon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, Mach-E, Arcimoto FUV, Repl: F-250/Model S
Occupation
InfoSec Geek
Clubs

How does "Forest Edge" interior look in person? The green seems to.... "muddy military vehicle" green for my taste in the renders, but in one thread, there's a photo of just a sample swatch, and it looks a "richer green" more like the Forest Green exterior - can you confirm if the Forest Edge interior matches the Forest Green exterior well? (That's the combination we're leaning toward, if the interior green isn't so muddy.)
Sponsored

Scoiatael

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
I'm jealous. How wide did the backseats feel? Trying to get a sense if I put a carseat in the center if 2 adults could sit in the other 2 seats.

Scott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Forester, VW ID.4, R1S on preorder
Clubs

Happy to answer any other specific questions folks may have.
That sounds awesome, and I am amazed he took the time. That makes quite the impression. My guess is you didn't ask any of my top questions, since you weren't driving the car and mine are all about the driving experience / infotainment experience, but since you are offering, I will cut and paste from my notes on what I want to know that I haven't found answers to on the internet. Yes I have notes on this. I am that kind of person.

Thanks in advance :)

• Regen Braking:
    • Can it fully coast? or does regen always kick in when you take your foot off the accelerator? (From a physics standpoint an option to coast is the most efficient)
    • Does the brake pedal use regen braking first, and only engage the friction brakes when more braking is needed? or is the only way to engage regen through "one pedal driving" settings? (AKA, does it use blended breaking?)
  • Infotainment
    • I have an apple music subscription, can that be used on the car since carplay is not included? If not, is it amazon music built in? or is streaming music all just bluetooth from the phone?
    • Navigation: is it any good? Do maps update for free? or will map updates require a fee? Is it a reskin of an existing map service (like google maps) Without the option to use carplay/android auto, navigation experience is very important.
    • How do the buttons on the steering wheel work? Is it annoying to work both cruise control settings and audio from those general purpose buttons?
    • How hard is it to adjust climate control and vent positioning while driving?
  • Driver+
    • What is available on any road? Adaptive Cruise Control? Lane centering? Emergency Braking?
    • What is different on the "select roads"? Lane switching? something else?

PoorPilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I have some vehicles and stuff
Clubs

That sounds awesome, and I am amazed he took the time. That makes quite the impression. My guess is you didn't ask any of my top questions, since you weren't driving the car and mine are all about the driving experience / infotainment experience, but since you are offering, I will cut and paste from my notes on what I want to know that I haven't found answers to on the internet. Yes I have notes on this. I am that kind of person.

Thanks in advance :)

• Regen Braking:
    • Can it fully coast? or does regen always kick in when you take your foot off the accelerator? (From a physics standpoint an option to coast is the most efficient)
    • Does the brake pedal use regen braking first, and only engage the friction brakes when more braking is needed? or is the only way to engage regen through "one pedal driving" settings? (AKA, does it use blended breaking?)
  • Infotainment
    • I have an apple music subscription, can that be used on the car since carplay is not included? If not, is it amazon music built in? or is streaming music all just bluetooth from the phone?
    • Navigation: is it any good? Do maps update for free? or will map updates require a fee? Is it a reskin of an existing map service (like google maps) Without the option to use carplay/android auto, navigation experience is very important.
    • How do the buttons on the steering wheel work? Is it annoying to work both cruise control settings and audio from those general purpose buttons?
    • How hard is it to adjust climate control and vent positioning while driving?
  • Driver+
    • What is available on any road? Adaptive Cruise Control? Lane centering? Emergency Braking?
    • What is different on the "select roads"? Lane switching? something else?
Sounds like a list of questions that you may want to contact Rivian directly for the answers.

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

Cohall,

Your story brought tears to my eyes! I'm not the least bit surprised that RJ was as warm and accommodating as you and your Mom found him to be. I would love to have time with him like that.

@ja_kub_sz told a great story some time ago about coming from Normal to New York City and meeting RJ at the roll out event there. I remember him saying that when RJ asked for everyone to yell out where they came from, ja_kub_sz yelled "Normal!" and RJ caught that and acknowledged the journey he made to get there for the event. Afterwards, he was able to spend the evening with RJ and his family and team, I believe, at dinner. I already had a good vibe about RJ, but that really cemented my feelings.

I hope you and I get the chance to visit over the phone soon. I know if they give us the chance to have a "Pickup² Event" in Normal, I'll be staying in Denver with family for a day or two on My Long Way Home. I would enjoy getting together with you for dinner while I'm there, possibly with @MReda and any others who might want to join in.

I'm so damn happy to hear that you had such a great encounter, and also that your Mom has such a keen eye for very cool vehicles.

Take care!

Sponsored

Kmann1994

First Name
Kevan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 Performance
Occupation
Head of Product
"Put up with me pestering him about when the test drives will start in Colorado, the status of the service center in Denver, when deliveries are going to start, etc."

@cohall: What did he say about deliveries starting?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model Y
Did the truck you sit in have wood trim (Adventure package)? Most pictures Rivian are showing are the one with the wood trim. I really want to see more pictures of the black trim (Explore package) and see how it really compares to the wood.

gd_r1t

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Product manager
This is a great story. It's so inspiring to see RJ deeply and genuinely care about customers, his employees and the broader impact of his company :)

what he thought about certain interior/exterior color combos
I'm curious, what were RJ's thoughts about certain combos??

protamine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LG R1S, 992 GTS
Occupation
CT Surgery
This is a great story. It's so inspiring to see RJ deeply and genuinely care about customers, his employees and the broader impact of his company :)

Probably something like this

Rivian R1T R1S My Day With RJ Scaringe — A Lucky Encounter & R1T Impressions 1632425782128

Sponsored

mike22co

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, BMW X3 (x2), s00n R1S
Occupation
Person
I hope you and I get the chance to visit over the phone soon. I know if they give us the chance to have a "Pickup² Event" in Normal, I'll be staying in Denver with family for a day or two on My Long Way Home. I would enjoy getting together with you for dinner while I'm there, possibly with @MReda and any others who might want to join in.
Yes! We can have the whole Colorado crew do a meet-up for ya! (or at least the cool kids...):cool:

mike22co

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, BMW X3 (x2), s00n R1S
Occupation
Person
That is an awesome story! I really wanted to hop on the motorcycle and head up when I heard they were here, but time and kids prevented that escape. So glad to live it vicariously through you!

OP
OP
cohall

cohall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Sorry for the delayed response. Work, am I right? Keep in mind, I also have a million questions that I want to ask and would have prepared a list in advance had I know the afternoon I was in for.

Alas, I was pretty caught up in the moment, so didn't ask a lot of things I remembered wanting to know the second I got home. But here's what I can tell ya:
Did you ask or RJ point out or describe the extra protection from the off road package? I'm curious to see what this is physically and how much protection it actually adds, aside from the benefit of the tow hooks?

Also, any indications of production ramp up timing or how many trucks they'll get to customers in the coming months?
All the trucks had tow hooks, so I'm assuming the off-road package. I didn't specifically ask about the coverage, especially as it differs from standard. I remain curious about that myself.

I did not ask anything specific about production ramp up.
Thanks @cohall for sharing this unique experience! Were you able to sit in the back seats? If so, how was the comfort and space?
I didn't sit in the back, but I did put the drivers seat in a comfortable position for me (I'm 6'2" and like to sit/lean way back) and take a look. It's not a Ram 1500, that's for sure. It looked fine for most adults. Having a bunch of 6 foot 200 pound dudes in the back for a few hundred/thousand miles wouldn't be ideal. I came away with the general feeling that it would be fine/good for my purposes.
How does "Forest Edge" interior look in person? The green seems to.... "muddy military vehicle" green for my taste in the renders, but in one thread, there's a photo of just a sample swatch, and it looks a "richer green" more like the Forest Green exterior - can you confirm if the Forest Edge interior matches the Forest Green exterior well? (That's the combination we're leaning toward, if the interior green isn't so muddy.)
I actually really really liked it. I'm not a huge fan of color interiors, but I thought it looked great. I would not say it 'matches' forest green exterior, but it complemented it well. Not muddy, more like light green olive. Honestly don't know how to describe it other than to say it looks great.
I'm jealous. How wide did the backseats feel? Trying to get a sense if I put a carseat in the center if 2 adults could sit in the other 2 seats.
I didn't actually get in the back seat and I don't have kids, so I'm probably not the right person to judge that, sorry.
Would love to do that. You have an open invitation anytime you're in the area.
@cohall: What did he say about deliveries starting?
He dodged it in a very pleasant way, but also gave me the feeling that good things are on the very near horizon.
Did the truck you sit in have wood trim (Adventure package)? Most pictures Rivian are showing are the one with the wood trim. I really want to see more pictures of the black trim (Explore package) and see how it really compares to the wood.
They were all with the wood trim, none with the Explore package.
Let's just say that he indicated that they considered not allowing certain color combinations, but in the end figured they'd just let the customer get what they want.
Great story but I think people are missing the biggest takeaway. Your mom is a rockstar and I think I’m in love…. ?
Ha! My folks recently celebrated their 50th anniversary, so you may need to speak to my father. My mom is indeed a rockstar.

Temerarius

First Name
Chase
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Tesla Model X, 2018 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel
Occupation
Sr. Program Manager
Every article or mention I've come across that discusses RJ, leave me feeling that not only am I investing in a solid truck that was well thought out, planned for, and will be supported by an engaged and enthusiastic team at Rivian, but that I'm buying into and adding my voice of support for a genuine individual and an all around great person at the top (that had the passion to make this all happen).
Sponsored