Sponsored

ironpig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2015 4Runner, 1975 FJ55 Land Cruiser
Should this happen while driving to either your brake or accelerator you can hold down the park button on your gear selector stalk and it will slow you to a halt and untimely hold you in park when you are stopped.
Sponsored

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Should this happen while driving to either your brake or accelerator you can hold down the park button on your gear selector stalk and it will slow you to a halt and untimely hold you in park when you are stopped.
For stopping, yes... But losing the accelerator pedal would engage regenerative breaking, and I'd worry about getting rear-ended if that happens at the wrong time. Not ideal.

ironpig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2015 4Runner, 1975 FJ55 Land Cruiser
For stopping, yes... But losing the accelerator pedal would engage regenerative breaking, and I'd worry about getting rear-ended if that happens at the wrong time. Not ideal.
Yeah not sure if there is anything you can continue to press in the event of loss of accelerator pedal (post that attaches to pedal?) so you don't jerk to a stop. This car has much heavier regeneration than any of my previous EVs. Agreed, not ideal especially at highway speed.

But just thinking that if there is an issue with brake pedal and the driver is concerned about being able to safely stop the vehicle, the "press and hold park" tip should be on the short list of emergency actions for people who may be coming from ICE vehicles and not thinking super clearly in a stressful moment.

dduffey

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Tesla M3, Tesla MY
Personally I'd rather the pedal break off than entrap my foot in an accident where the truck is on fire. But maybe I'm alone in that.

Sometimes safety conscience design can look like a potential defect under abuse it wasn't meant to take.
I know this is a Rivian forum and will get blasted for this ... But arguing this is an intentional safety design?!?!?!?! That your foot is going to get entangled?!?!?! Do you hope the steering wheel pops off too?

The feel of the accelerator pedal is the very first thing I emailed my guide about on delivery. I wasn't concerned about it getting fixed on my truck just an FYI, but now I am.

Have you inspected the accelerator pedal?

Last edited:

TripWir3d

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Occupation
Military
Hello All.

I have been hesitant to post this story / incident in the forum as I'm not necessarily wanting to stir the negativity pot. Overall, I (like so many) have been largely satisfied and, frankly, impressed with my truck (after 3 weeks).

One week after delivery, I was stepping out of my truck at my office (very grateful that I was in my office parking lot and not on the road) and my toe (I wear a size 14 shoe) caught behind the accelerator pedal. This is NOT uncommon for me --depending on the shoes I'm wearing. My big toe (sole of my shoe) caught just the bottom corner of the pedal and, as I tried to step out, I felt it snag it -- but not with very much force or resistance. With just slight additional force, I pulled my right leg out and felt something give. I thought for a split second that there must just be a rubber cap on the pedal that I had "popped off" or something. But, when I looked down, I could not believe what I was seeing. The pedal had broken off right at the top where the "spring housing" screwed the pedal to the mechanism up under the kick panel.

I picked it up and realized that the spring housing which attaches the pedal to the truck is plastic (and obviously very brittle).

I contacted Rivian and - within 30 minutes - had a flat bed tow truck at my office taking the truck to the service center (Salt Lake City).

The very next morning, I got a call from Rivian letting me know my truck was ready to be picked up and that they were deeply sorry for the inconvenience.

There at definitely some positive elements which you can see from this -- the Rivian customer service team are very concerned and very prompt in their assistance and very much want us to be pleased.

** I am not certain whether they swapped my broken pedal for one on a truck which had not yet been delivered (this is what I assume occurred).

Anyway, you may come across a YouTuber reviewer covering this story this week. I want to make certain that I say that I am pleased with the truck overall. Yes, issues like this can be alarming as it is definitely a safety concern to some degree. Is the brake pedal attached in this same way and with similar / weak plastic? I'm not sure.

Hopefully this was just a fluke and the plastic may have been more brittle (hopefully) due to some manufacturing flaw when molding my pedal bracket.

Thought I would share this.
I hate myself for doing this btw. But I find it somewhat amusing that you state that you hesitated to talk about this and stir the “negativity” pot… but then posted the title in all CAPS haha.

On a serious note, I think it’s definitely an issue that needs to be addressed. Thanks for posting!

Sponsored

moosehead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 Ioniq 5, ‘78 Jeep Wagoneer
Based on OP’s posts alone, and not having seen the video, this sure seems like a forthcoming safety recall or TSB. Even if it is thus far a one-off outcome, brittle plastic connectors being part of either the accelerator or brake pedals structural support and/or hinge mechanism is suspect.

Edit: have since grabbed below screen shot from video.

@TheSasquatch, did Rivian just replace it with the same part?

Rivian R1T R1S MY ACCELERATOR PEDAL BROKE OFF (in Rivian R1T)!! FAA3CD8A-6E45-448E-BB05-8876AC5D6829

Last edited:

Fezzik

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-e GT PE, Rivian R1T, Nissan Titan, Mazda CX-3
Occupation
Self employed
I wonder if it is a meant to do this in an accident as a type safety break away? My mother was in an accident a few years ago and got severely injured as a direct result of the pedal crushing into her leg.

dleewla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Toyota, Lexus
Clubs

I know this is a Rivian forum and will get blasted for this ... But arguing this is an intentional safety design?!?!?!?! That your foot is going to get entangled?!?!?! Do you hope the steering wheel pops off too?

The feel of the accelerator pedal is the very first thing I emailed my guide about on delivery. I wasn't concerned about it getting fixed on my truck just an FYI, but now I am.

Agree. Those being totally dismissive I think have probably had a little too much of the kool aid. Seems like it could be an issue to me.

Sponsored

Sdvictor

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Agree. Those being totally dismissive I think have probably had a little too much of the kool aid. Seems like it could be an issue to me.
I'm not saying that this is the case, but breakaway and collapsable pedals are an intentional safety design element in modern vehicles. It'd be interesting to see who designed this part since most of this type of stuff is likely an off-the-shelf component.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

In an accident that kind of a thing happens with the pedal all the time. You generally aren't able to reach your feet on your own to fix whatever is stuck. Some people aren't mobile enough to even be able to see down there. The fact that this is the first we've heard of this happening could mean there was a defect in OP's pedal, but the hinge mechanism being plastic makes it look like the breakaway is an intentional decision.

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
Breaking something
I'm not saying that this is the case, but breakaway and collapsable pedals are an intentional safety design element in modern vehicles. It'd be interesting to see who designed this part since most of this type of stuff is likely an off-the-shelf component.
Agree. This isn't likely some uneducated / unexperienced design of a first time engineer. Likely a supplier item anyway and designed and manufactured by a supplier that makes pedals for probably many other vehicle manufacturers. So those jumping to the "recall...major defect....anybody who says different is drinking koolaid" is a bit presumptuous on what might be going on here. I could be wrong...but to say it might not be as big a deal as the video creator is saying, apparently in Jim Jones stuff....

Count Orlok

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1S/ 2024 INEOS Grenadier/ 1969 Ford / etc.
Occupation
retired