Sponsored

Tomgriff

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 MS 70D, 2017 Chevy Bolt Premier, T700
Off topic, but I was in the US Coast Guard and was a ship inspector (eg, making sure they didn't use carboard....) and they played this video for us back in the early 90's during our first training course. He does a great job staying on his talking points!

R1Sky Business

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

Off topic, but I was in the US Coast Guard and was a ship inspector (eg, making sure they didn't use carboard....) and they played this video for us back in the early 90's during our first training course. He does a great job staying on his talking points!
That's fantastic!!!!

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
^ Monty Python would be proud.. kind of reminds me of this classic:

Sponsored

SASSquatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i3s Ford C-Max Hybrid
Occupation
Semi-Autonomous Yeti
Clubs

As a fellow Squatch with a size 14 shoe, I often will get my foot stuck under the pedal
We should all go into our current vehicles and tug sideways on our accelerator pedals to see if they snap.

OP said he’s a giant, was getting out of the vehicle, snagged his giant shoe, and yanked his foot back… people are worried they’ll do the same on the freeway?

You won’t yank hard to the side unless you’re getting out.
You won’t snag your foot unless you’re a giant.
You won’t snap the accelerator unless you tug hard on it sideways.

Not going to happen accidentally while driving, IMHO.
The OP said he is a Squatch, not a giant! We have feelings you know.

Meanwhile, as a fellow Squatch, I will say that I have been very rough on my pedals over the years with my size 14 feet and have never once snapped off an accelerator or brake pedal.

That said, this is an n of exactly 1 and RIVIAN has delivered thousands of R1Ts. I wouldn't get worked up over a single example.

Novo-caine

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi SQ5 and allroad
Dang that sucks! The YouTube video seems to be already up with the usual type of title and thumbnail…:giggle:
Yea and since that YouTuber did not get a demo vehicle from Rivian he’s been on a Rivian-bashing tirade for the last few months. He really should do a follow up on the repair but of course he won’t

Gsxr150

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F
Yea and since that YouTuber did not get a demo vehicle from Rivian he’s been on a Rivian-bashing tirade for the last few months. He really should do a follow up on the repair but of course he won’t
Yeah, the guy is a teabag. I can't wait until someone makes a rebuttal video.

SASSquatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Semi-Autonomous Yeti
Clubs

Yeah, the guy is a teabag. I can't wait until someone makes a rebuttal video.
Here is the thing though. In the video below (starts playing at the moment he discusses access to Rivian events) he makes it clear that Rivian has told him if he isn't covering Rivian in a positive light, his access is getting cut off and he wasn't granted a review R1T. He also says he personally knows influencers who have been prioritized over reservation holders.

Clearly he has an axe to grind with Rivian, and he is invariably biased against them. However, his treatment from Rivian reinforces the perspective that the OutofSpec Kyles and others who have gotten preferential treatment, pricing, and access, are incapable of being unbiased and are more than likely going to get cut off like this poor bastard did if they don't cover Rivian positively.

Which makes all of that content marketing and promotion. This guy was denied because he was unwilling to stuff marketing down our throats even though he has twice the subscriber base than, for example OutofSpec - who not only got access but got a Launch Rivian with Launch pricing. What does that tell you?

Not a good look from Rivian, especially considering that they have already gotten overwhelmingly positive coverage from REAL automotive journalists and publications AND they have overwhelming demand.

This to me is naive and inexperienced leadership decision making and that is what concerns me right now - not a single accelerator pedal mishap.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Here is the thing though. In the video below (starts playing at the moment he discusses access to Rivian events) he makes it clear that Rivian has told him if he isn't covering Rivian in a positive light, his access is getting cut off and he wasn't granted a review R1T. He also says he personally knows influencers who have been prioritized over reservation holders.

Clearly he has an axe to grind with Rivian, and he is invariably biased against them. However, his treatment from Rivian reinforces the perspective that the OutofSpec Kyles and others who have gotten preferential treatment, pricing, and access, are incapable of being unbiased and are more than likely going to get cut off like this poor bastard did if they don't cover Rivian positively.

Which makes all of that content marketing and promotion. This guy was denied because he was unwilling to stuff marketing down our throats even though he has twice the subscriber base than, for example OutofSpec - who not only got access but got a Launch Rivian with Launch pricing. What does that tell you?

Not a good look from Rivian, especially considering that they have already gotten overwhelmingly positive coverage from REAL automotive journalists and publications AND they have overwhelming demand.

This to me is naive and inexperienced leadership decision making and that is what concerns me right now - not a single accelerator pedal mishap.

Just to play devil’s advocate on this. I have never watched this guys channel so not sure how he does his reporting. There are several channels out there that are 90% negative about everything they report on trying to get more clicks with controversial titles.

I know I have seen a couple that have gone out of their way to make a big negative deal about single issues on some Tesla models making it seem like that is how all models or all interactions are. They then complain that they are treated unfairly when they are actually treated the same way they treat others.

Again, not sure about this particular channel and am not going to watch it to find out but, sometimes things are not how they seem, and sometimes they are exactly as they seem.

I would refrain from giving Rivian a black eye here unless I knew more about the story. The only other time I heard a similar story was someone that was filming and not following the rules that was asked to leave an event. What I read and heard about that instance seemed to be an appropriate reaction from Rivian.

Sponsored

PAFDenver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Baja
Occupation
retired
Just to play devil’s advocate on this. I have never watched this guys channel so not sure how he does his reporting. There are several channels out there that are 90% negative about everything they report on trying to get more clicks with controversial titles.
I've watched a bunch of his videos and generally he's pretty fair. I actually was surprised and annoyed at the click-baitness of this video. He's normally a big promoter of all things EV. So maybe it is as simple as he is grinding an axe or maybe his YouTube numbers are down he needed to spike them. But normally he's OK - this was a departure from his past videos and I hope future as well.

SASSquatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Semi-Autonomous Yeti
Clubs

I know I have seen a couple that have gone out of their way to make a big negative deal about single issues on some Tesla models making it seem like that is how all models or all interactions are. They then complain that they are treated unfairly when they are actually treated the same way they treat others.

Again, not sure about this particular channel and am not going to watch it to find out but, sometimes things are not how they seem, and sometimes they are exactly as they seem.

I would refrain from giving Rivian a black eye here unless I knew more about the story. The only other time I heard a similar story was someone that was filming and not following the rules that was asked to leave an event. What I read and heard about that instance seemed to be an appropriate reaction from Rivian.
I agree with you that this is a single channel, but there are examples of influencers getting favorable treatment that can't be easily dismissed.

This channel in particular has been supportive of Rivian in the past and has interviewed RJ and major players in the field like Sandy Munro. He has some credibility.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
I agree with you that this is a single channel, but there are examples of influencers getting favorable treatment that can't be easily dismissed.

This channel in particular has been supportive of Rivian in the past and has interviewed RJ and major players in the field like Sandy Munro. He has some credibility.
I agree the people getting theirs early is puzzling but that does not seem to be only reviewers as several others have reported not only getting it early but getting an LE when they had an adventure ordered.

I do not think Sandy Monroe falls into this category, he had an early reservation and when they got it his wife claimed it so they bought a second one on the used market to do the tear down.

SASSquatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Semi-Autonomous Yeti
Clubs

I agree the people getting theirs early is puzzling but that does not seem to be only reviewers as several others have reported not only getting it early but getting an LE when they had an adventure ordered.

I do not think Sandy Monroe falls into this category, he had an early reservation and when they got it his wife claimed it so they bought a second one on the used market to do the tear down.
Sandy definitely had a very early reservation and he did the right thing by going to the secondary market to buy (at a premium) his R1T to tear down, unlike Kyle.

I trust Sandy for that reason.

Frankly, if I was RIVIAN, I would have never sold Sandy an R1T knowing what he was going to do to it. I would have changed his configuration to Max Pack Ocean Coast and been like - "Sorry Sandy - looks like you are locked in and it's going to be a REAALLY long wait." :)

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer

I don't see a problem with this - of course Rivian is giving preferential access to vehicles in cosideration for neutral to positive reviews. That's the way it works today in the online world, and that's the way it's always been. In the past, it was advertising contracts in automotive magazines in return for neutral to positive reviews. But in the past no one aired the dirty laundry - not so with today's click bait You Tube self promoters.
Sponsored