First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
And what new technology does it take to land a booster? Nothing, just someone willing to crash a few And have billions of dollars to pay for it.
Tell me you know nothing about even basic engineering without telling me you know nothing about basic engineering. Before Elon did it there were many so called professionals in rocketry that said it was impossible. It was tried a few times before and was always an utter failure.

Being able to land and reuse boosters is a massive leap in technology.
Sponsored

emoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Tell me you know nothing about even basic engineering without telling me you know nothing about basic engineering. Before Elon did it there were many so called professionals in rocketry that said it was impossible. It was tried a few times before and was always an utter failure.

Being able to land and reuse boosters is a massive leap in technology.
Well I guess we will have to just disagree then. And space x wasn’t even the first to do it.

Zorg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model X
One can dislike 2022 Elon and yet appreciate everything he has accomplished. Fact is that without Elon there would be no Tesla and no SpaceX, and probably no reusable rocket. Tesla is now 100k+ employees, so it's a bit more than just Elon.

Sponsored

domoplaytime

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T Adventure
Clubs

Blue Origin had booster landing testing before space X.

it is impressive what space x was able to do. They were only able to accomplish it because musk was willing to take the risk and bad publicity.
Thanks, I had assumed SpaceX was the first - they were successful in VTOL just a month after Blue Origin.

Musk deserves credit for handling failure so well and sharing the videos and analysis of each spectacular failure. He seems fearless, and that can be an inspiring leadership quality.

emoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Thanks, I had assumed SpaceX was the first - they were successful in VTOL just a month after Blue Origin.

Musk deserves credit for handling failure so well and sharing the videos and analysis of each spectacular failure. He seems fearless, and that can be an inspiring leadership quality.
Totally agree that Elon deserves credit for failing where the established companies were afraid too. He has helped push forward everyone with EVs and even aerospace and we are all better off for it.

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
It’s the same technology we have been using since the 50s.
And the car tires we build today have the same round shape as the 50s tires. Does that mean car tires (or any other component) today are the same tech as the 50s? The tech in the space industry today is vastly different from the 50s.

We did not get to the moon and back on 50s tech. Integrated circuits and microprocessors are 60s tech and were a critical part of the program.

JPC

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S Limestone - Forest Edge - 21"
Since my last post was deleted, I'll say it again, I know many people who have cancelled their Tesla orders because they think Elon has turned into a total jackass. Hopefully that isn't too "political" even though it is exactly the question posed by this thread. I also know many people who have worked closely (and DIRECTLY) with Elon at Tesla and Space X, and they have uniformly said he has absolutely no idea how either technology works beyond the knowledge of a mid-level engineer. He has money to fund research, he's not some technological genius by any measure. All of the weird Elon fan-boying is so absurd, often well past the point of being embarrassing.

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
Since my last post was deleted, I'll say it again, I know many people who have cancelled their Tesla orders because they think Elon has turned into a total jackass. Hopefully that isn't too "political" even though it is exactly the question posed by this thread. I also know many people who have worked closely (and DIRECTLY) with Elon at Tesla and Space X, and they have uniformly said he has absolutely no idea how either technology works beyond the knowledge of a mid-level engineer. He has money to fund research, he's not some technological genius by any measure. All of the weird Elon fan-boying is so absurd, often well past the point of being embarrassing.
His skill isn’t in engineering necessarily, it’s in building companies. You can put a bunch of smart people in a room and get absolutely nothing while a good leader can get a great performance out of even a mediocre player.

No one here is “fan boying” for Elon by stating facts. The fact of the matter is he has been at the helm for building a few really successful companies. That’s not an accident and it has little to do with his skill as an engineer but much to do with his skill as a leader.

It’s also not unexpected for the people who feel some type of way over his Twitter comments to know other people who have cancelled Tesla orders, as likeminded people tend to flock together. Unfortunately for you guys though, most people don’t care. Just like in boycotts of the past nothing here is really going to happen and Tesla is still selling every vehicle they make just about as fast as they can make them.

Sponsored

Tahoe Man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Volt
The Tesla brand has been tainted by the Twitter fiasco, IMO. But please tell me why it's worth $600+B??? IMO the EV mania is over.

JPC

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S Limestone - Forest Edge - 21"
His skill isn’t in engineering necessarily, it’s in building companies. You can put a bunch of smart people in a room and get absolutely nothing while a good leader can get a great performance out of even a mediocre player.

No one here is “fan boying” for Elon by stating facts. The fact of the matter is he has been at the helm for building a few really successful companies. That’s not an accident and it has little to do with his skill as an engineer but much to do with his skill as a leader.

It’s also not unexpected for the people who feel some type of way over his Twitter comments to know other people who have cancelled Tesla orders, as likeminded people tend to flock together. Unfortunately for you guys though, most people don’t care. Just like in boycotts of the past nothing here is really going to happen and Tesla is still selling every vehicle they make just about as fast as they can make them.
No doubt that Tesla will continue to sell every vehicle it can make for the next few years. That's the state of the supply chain, true of EVERY SINGLE ev maker out there. The reality is that there haven't been good alternatives to Tesla, but those days are over. Elon has positioned himself as the face of Tesla, far more so than Steve Jobs ever did with Apple for example. If he keeps it up he will be a fully politicized figure--I'm not even sure he can stop that from happening at this point--and in turn so will Tesla. Imagine Ford hiring AOC to sell a bunch of F-150s.

Can't argue with the success that he's had with Tesla, but the people who work for/with him report big changes in the man over the last 2-3 years. It is very well known in the tech world that morale at Tesla is terrible. It calmed down a bit when the stock was sky-high, but it has been VERY easy for competitors to poach top talent and many employees blame Elon for the stock tanking. We'll see it at Twitter now too. Even in this terrible tech job market, most of the good engineers who aren't tied down by an H1-B visa bailed.

Prime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MY(P), Rivian R1T
The Tesla brand has been tainted by the Twitter fiasco, IMO. But please tell me why it's worth $600+B??? IMO the EV mania is over.
Well.. Tesla made more profit on their limited cars sold (about a 1-1.2 million) compared to the total Toyota umbrella at many multiples of vehicles sold. Tesla margins are incredible. Go look at the current price to earning ratios nearing some top heavy hitter companies that have been around for many decades. You may not agree with it, but they are a financially robust company with little to no debt, a great deal of valuable patents, and even more stored user data. Maybe that’s why they’re worth what they’re worth. I’m not a fan when people who just don’t like companies and complain about valuations without actually looking into financials.

Thedude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Blue Origin had booster landing testing before space X.
While that is true Blue Origin has never moved past a toy for rich people and is years behind schedule on production of their new BE-4 engine that can actually take a vehicle to orbit.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Well.. Tesla made more profit on their limited cars sold (about a 1-1.2 million) compared to the total Toyota umbrella at many multiples of vehicles sold. Tesla margins are incredible. Go look at the current price to earning ratios nearing some top heavy hitter companies that have been around for many decades. You may not agree with it, but they are a financially robust company with little to no debt, a great deal of valuable patents, and even more stored user data. Maybe that’s why they’re worth what they’re worth. I’m not a fan when people who just don’t like companies and complain about valuations without actually looking into financials.
Tesla won't be able to maintain their margins forever. They are taking advantage of their consumer because of the industry wide supply issues that they just happen to be in an advantageous position for right now. It won't be true forever.
Sponsored