jclicky

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
More glowing reviews:

Of note, Cory took it over Thanksgiving & prefers the handling over the R1T, interesting.

maybe that’s because Cory couldn’t break the rear glass panel on the R1S from a poorly supervised forklift movement, ha!

Highlights:
  • Cleaner, more simple assembly w/out need for sway bars.
  • High-quality (& requisite characteristic “this is expensive) forged pieces vs. stamped steel
    • God I hope they don’t push Rivian to build lower-quality tiers with stamped steel components, pls don’t bring that to the R1X or R2!
  • Visual presentation of benefits of Rivian’s wheelbase & motor placement:
    • More articulation
    • Helps provide over 8” of travel
    • Fewer components = fewer issues/things to break
    • Noticed double-QC-checks on welded component joins; they guessed it’s because this is a early-VIN
      • Pet peeve: why is Rivian sending what seems to be the same set of older early-VIN R1S vehicles to testers, esp. since they seem to have more warts & harder use, don’t understand this
  • Shorter wheelbase of R1S
  • Kevin +Cory said undercarriage represented what they would expect from an expensive, future-model high-end SUV brand like Range Rover
  • Weird obsession on the large calipers as an extravagance (how else are you supposed to stop 7K lbs.??)
Sponsored

Last edited:

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
  • High-quality (& requisite characteristic “this is expensive) forged pieces vs. stamped steel
    • God I hope they don’t push Rivian to build lower-quality tiers with stamped steel components, pls don’t bring that to the R1X or R2!

• Weird obsession on the large calipers as an extravagance (how else are you supposed to stop 7K lbs.??)
if rivian takes all of their design and manufacturing decisions from a single consulting outfit that only cares about cutting parts count and assembly costs with little consideration for the practicalities of service and use,..they’re doomed

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
if rivian takes all of their design and manufacturing decisions from a single consulting outfit that only cares about cutting parts count and assembly costs with little consideration for the practicalities of service and use,..they’re doomed
True but they will need to take many of the suggestions for the commodity version (R2*) to reduce cost and increase volume of supplied parts.

The R1* should stay as the premium vehicles and once the R2 series hit the market I can see the R1 series getting more expensive. There is room there as there is a 29k difference between the entry R1S and the lowest Model X, I can easily see the R1S being in that price range.

EmPickle

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Honda Odyssey, Miata
Occupation
Geek
"Pet peeve: why is Rivian sending what seems to be the same set of older early-VIN R1S vehicles to testers, esp. since they seem to have more warts & harder use, don’t understand this"

I'd hope it's so they can deliver more to customers?

Guy

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Scientist
Clubs

I can understand him preferring the handling but he did not comment about the ride which is what the magazine reviews are starting to complain about.

Last edited:

Sponsored

SASSquatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i3s Ford C-Max Hybrid
Occupation
Semi-Autonomous Yeti
Clubs

Somebody pay this man!

Guy

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Scientist
Clubs

R1Sky Business

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

If they're consulting for Rivian... wouldn't they b a bit biased now....?

Sponsored

Prime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MY(P), Rivian R1T
If they're consulting for Rivian... wouldn't they b a bit biased now....?
It’s hard to tell. Their interior guy was extremely negative about the “wasteful” and “stupid” processes Rivian undertook in their interior design (specifically seats), but all other reviews have generally been positive. I get the feeling the guy that reviewed the interior maybe got rejected by Rivian and held a little grudge lol.

RBR1S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S preorder holder; '14 JGC,'20 Subaru Crosstrek
More glowing reviews:

obsession on the large calipers as an extravagance (how else are you supposed to stop 7K lbs.??)

But very end is most important. Those hoses are a high risk off road. First time I saw under a Rivian that was my first thought as well.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
But very end is most important. Those hoses are a high risk off road. First time I saw under a Rivian that was my first thought as well.
This is what happens when those lines develop a leak and the hydraulic fluid drains from the dampers:

Rivian learned from the Rebelle and seems to have slightly improved the line routing to help minimize the risk (they really dangled down in some of the pre-production pictures/videos). While there is still some risk, I don't know that I would go so far as to say "high risk". I don't believe we've had any reports of this happening to a production vehicle yet. The lines are at least somewhat shielded by control arms and half-shafts.
Sponsored