Sponsored

aw113sgte

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 R1t
Glad to see they are continuing Rivian content. Thought it might go away after they contracted with them.

mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Model Y
3x the normal amount of seam sealer? Their sealant supplier must be super happy!

My guess is the 36” wading depth requires a massive amount of seam sealer for the BIW.

Last edited:

Blueassassin

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T, Hummer H1, Lotus Elise
Occupation
Equipment Manager
Clubs

cool to see the gear tunnel doors.

dleewla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Toyota, Lexus
Clubs

with Rivian hiring Munro, they are going to get the benefits of "optimization" which translates to cost savings and likely faster, more consistent production. those will obviously benefit Rivian in a lot of ways and does benefit customers long term. but whats also clear from these teardowns is Rivian went the extra mile to try to design and build a great vehicle. will these optimizations take away from some of that extra mileness of these vehicles? i think it might but hope they will strike a balance between cost, optimization and still building beyond even if we cant see it.

Sponsored

Blueassassin

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T, Hummer H1, Lotus Elise
Occupation
Equipment Manager
Clubs

with Rivian hiring Munro, they are going to get the benefits of "optimization" which translates to cost savings and likely faster, more consistent production. those will obviously benefit Rivian in a lot of ways and does benefit customers long term. but whats also clear from these teardowns is Rivian went the extra mile to try to design and build a great vehicle. will these optimizations take away from some of that extra mileness of these vehicles? i think it might but hope they will strike a balance between cost, optimization and still building beyond even if we cant see it.
Like one magnet and no 12V in the frunk? Im not a fan of a lot of the things he talks about in his videos. The "cheaper" way to build it isn't always the best way and this is a $100k vehicle not a kia.

mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Model Y
You can bet that Rivian will slowly start de-contenting features as the months roll by to save on manufacturing costs.

Removing the 12v outlet in the frunk was just the beginning.

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
I figured the contract had a gag clause. Glad to see that even if it does, we will continue to benefit from these videos as a community.

I don't always agree with value engineering, but in many cases, if a task can be accomplished equally well, with less material, cost, etc... that is true value engineering. Much too often that gets turned into simple decontenting and cost cutting, but hoping Rivian sifts thru closely what the recommendations are, and keeps in mind, at least with R1 platform, these are halo vehicles and need to be built as such.

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Jeep Wrangler 2DR, 2022 R1T
Occupation
Utilities
Clubs

mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Model Y
I have been driving Tacoma‘s for the past decade. I just sold my 2019 TRD Pro for $8 less than I paid for it “out the door”.

Sponsored

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
The dealer told me that they'll have an electric Toyota Tacoma in about 18 months
I’d be surprised. Toyota is incredibly slow on EVs. Their executive team is famously anti-EV. Even the ‘brand new’ Tundra is using 20+ year old hybrid tech.

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
What is going on with those masses of what looks like alumininum foil and about a tube of black caulk, on each side, under the windshield?

zipzag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Two best Munro presenters IMO.

I don't believe Rivian will continually reduce features. Their business plan is to offer more high margin options.

My preference would be more functional and fewer semi-frivolous standard features. I do think that they designed an expensive to manufacture vehicle. But pre-market it is hard to know when enough features are added.

mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Model Y
What is going on with those masses of what looks like alumininum foil and about a tube of black caulk, on each side, under the windshield?
It does look like an amateur caulking application done by hand.
Sponsored