Moving to 21" wheels on R1T LE.

GaryL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Silverado 3500
Occupation
Farm
The LE R1T with 20" wheels is below my "Mendoza Line" for range on a $80K vehicle. But going to 21's on an LE means giving up a $1800 perk. Any chance Rivian will let LE reservation holder move to 21" wheels to get their 300 range promise and use the $1800 on other accessory's?
Sponsored

nfrank

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
I'm not getting an LE. Order the 20s and I'll trade 21s with you plus $900. In fact, we should never let a LE holder get the 20s. Us non-LE reservationists would love to work out a deal!

C.R. Rivian

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia Niro EV...R1T Launch Edition
Occupation
retired
I'm in for the 22's. I'm not doing serious off-roading and can't see having a virtually proprietary tire. If you have a blow-out, good luck getting a replacement...and yes, I'm springing for the spare.

Jimi

First Name
Jimi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC90 T8
Occupation
CEO
Do the 21"get better mileage?

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
Yes. The EPA rating of 314/316 miles (R1T/R1S) is based on the 21" wheel and tire combination. Rivian's website says to expect a loss of 10-15% of range with the 20" wheels with all terrain tire options and 5-10% with the 22" AS option.

Sponsored

sub

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model 3
Yes. 10-15% loss of range on the 20. That is 30 to 45 miles of range you are giving up by going with the 20-in all-terrain tires.

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

Any chance Rivian will let LE reservation holder move to 21" wheels to get their 300 range promise and use the $1800 on other accessory's?
I don't think that's likely, but you can't get what you don't ask for. Have you called to pitch that idea to C.S.? Guessing you'll get an answer of "No", but at least you have an offer for a swap plus cash.

I'll be curious to know how that works out for you, should you move forward on that, or a similar proposal. I'd think you'll be ordering the spare for a full set of five, no matter what you do, true?

Just thinking outside the box, but if you were to consider a swap, you might ask if the company would perform it for you. Maybe they would send your earlier Launch Edition with the apparently less expensive 21's and put the 20's on (in this case) nfrank's later build? That would make life a lot easier given your Illinois, and his Bay Area location. Swapping tires yourselves would seem an awkward, inconvenient, and really expensive proposition. Of course, you'd have to handle the money end of any deal like that.

The worst that could happen is that they say "No". Oh yeah, and, "That DuckTruck is an idiot!". I've been called worse, but enough about my elementary school days. The 4th grade was the worst three years of my life!

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Just thinking outside the box, but if you were to consider a swap, you might ask if the company would perform it for you. Maybe they would send your earlier Launch Edition with the apparently less expensive 21's and put the 20's on (in this case) nfrank's later build?
I can see the accessory swap as a possibility. Can't see them facilitating a swap between orders based on how unwilling they are to allow people to swap reservations.

Rousie13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2023 Tesla Model Y
Occupation
Engineer
If I was getting the R1S, then I’d definitely be getting the 22’s. Not in love with the 21’s, but hot horrible either. They would also save me $2k over the 20’s or 22’s including the cost of the spare. I’d have to see them in person to make my decision.
Sponsored