Sponsored

Mounting a cell phone. Has anyone done it?

jewwithguitar

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Per their website, Magbak says their Tesla mount will work with any magsafe case, not just the Magbak case. This could be a good option. How is the view of the phone with this mount? Any obstruction from the steering wheel?
Sponsored

camaroz1985

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4
Occupation
Engineer
did you recommend felt tape to stabilize the clip portion of the mount? Mines a bit wobbly and tips back and forth inside the groove
Mine has seemed to relax over time, and was drooping down (the mount that clips behind the screen, not just the ball). It was vibrating and buzzing if I didn't have phone on it, so I took it out for the time being.

camaroz1985

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4
Occupation
Engineer
Thank you @LLJJ for the idea! If you have a MagBak case, The MagBak Tesla mount works really well! I don’t think I will even need to use the adhesive as it is pretty rock solid once I fit it behind the screen.
I love MagBak because their magnets are crazy sting and the phone just sticks there with no concern of it falling.
87C70A27-6D61-4DB1-8527-24B672F42E20.jpeg
What is the view like from your driving position? Can you actually see the phone screen, or is it blocked by the steering wheel?

mcclajb

First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Model 3
Clubs

Thank you @LLJJ for the idea! If you have a MagBak case, The MagBak Tesla mount works really well! I don’t think I will even need to use the adhesive as it is pretty rock solid once I fit it behind the screen.
I love MagBak because their magnets are crazy sting and the phone just sticks there with no concern of it falling.
So, is it just wedged in behind the screen? If so, is there any concern of damage to the dash?

jewwithguitar

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I can confirm that this will not work with the R1T as the depth of the mount is far too much (there is nearly zero space behind the monitor)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B09JV6W1TC?ref=ppx_pt2_mob_b_prod_image

Will be sticking with my spigen setup for now, but I am interested in hearing if the magback mount places the phone in a position in which the steering wheel does not obscure the phone screen.

Sponsored

Lizardo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Self
Clubs

Hi.
Did you wedge the device between the screen and wood?

Received mine today and seems to mount it there, but some pressure on that wood piece.

twinprice

First Name
Winston
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yukon XL Denali, Tesla Model Y, and LE RS1 - Hopefully!
Clubs

I pulled up on the screen just slightly to get the mount to slide behind the screen and the wood. I was slightly concerned it wouldn’t work, but after @LLJJ showed it would work, I tried and it is all good.

I don’t think there is too much pressure on either the dash or the screen.

The view of the cell phone is definitely blocked a little bit by the steering wheel, but I think it is much better for me than having it down on the charging pad

sac602

First Name
ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4Runner, Lexus NX Hybrid
Clubs

has anyone found a way to run the charge cable behind the dash? Maybe pop out through the steering column or behing a screen? The wire dangling down is causing my OCD to make my left eye twitch.

Rally1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, VS30, LR4, LR3
I take it no one has the nerve to see whats behind that little flat spot. Any other car I might drill there. In for a MagBak, seems the best choice so far.

Leonbmx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2020 Tesla MY
Occupation
Boeing Design Engineer
Clubs

I contacted MagBak about people using the Tesla version and whether they'll be making a Rivian specific one and this was their reply:

"Thanks for reaching out! Our design team is in the process of testing the Tesla Charger on the Rivian screen. We have had some customers come in after attempting set-up, and they claimed it worked well but we cannot confirm this until we complete our testing."

I Installed the Tesla version over the weekend and It works well. One thing I do notice is that the mount wants to "pull back" from the screen, and as such is not "flat" with the rivian screen, which makes the phone not want to grab the magnet sometimes. I replied my findings to MagBak, so hopefully they can address that in the Rivian specific model. And they should also shorten the USB-C cable a bit, as I had to coil and stow the excess behind the screen.

I bet they would sell a bunch if they made a specific one, as the quality of the part is really nice.

I have a Mous Magsafe case, but I ordered the MagBak case and a Rebel Gen 3 case for my Iphone 13 Pro, as they claim to have the strongest magnets in their cases, so we will see if that improves the docking.

Sponsored

Ivman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Tesla Y Performance, 2016 Ram Rebel, R1T
Clubs

I’m sorry to hear that. It worked for me but that was probably 3 years ago so maybe something has changed with the design. When I ordered that setup my backup plan if it wouldn’t tighten was to wrap the ball in some friction tape or to dip the ball in plastidip until it was big enough. I will delete that post recommending it since it doesn’t seem to work the same way now…
I wonder if something like this would work? Just remove the suction cup portion and take advantage of the arm and adapter.

https://www.tackform.com/products/s...great-for-garmin?_pos=26&_sid=8aa2c8f3d&_ss=r

"17mm BALL ADAPTER - Although this mounting system runs off of a 20mm ball, we include a 20mm to 17mm ball. This allows you to quickly mount your Garmin Nuvi or any other device that uses a 17mm ball. Upgrade your existing plastic mount to a sturdy all-aluminum mount from Tackform."

Edit: Ordered to try for myself.

Edit again: Nevermind, the adapter is in the wrong direction.

Last edited:

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
I wonder if something like this would work? Just remove the suction cup portion and take advantage of the arm and adapter.

https://www.tackform.com/products/s...great-for-garmin?_pos=26&_sid=8aa2c8f3d&_ss=r

"17mm BALL ADAPTER - Although this mounting system runs off of a 20mm ball, we include a 20mm to 17mm ball. This allows you to quickly mount your Garmin Nuvi or any other device that uses a 17mm ball. Upgrade your existing plastic mount to a sturdy all-aluminum mount from Tackform."

Edit: Ordered to try for myself.
Great find! That got me to poking around again on their website and I found this, which could also help someone who just needs the 17mm to 20mm adapter part. $12.99

https://www.tackform.com/products/a...mm?_pos=2&_sid=c08c945a5&_ss=r&_fid=a0f370486

Last edited:

Ivman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Tesla Y Performance, 2016 Ram Rebel, R1T
Clubs

RWerksman

Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T
Yea unfortunately I thought it was a flange that allowed 17mm balls in the arm to a 20mm ball flange, but it's actually the reverse (a 17mm to 20mm ball) which isn't helpful in this particular case.
So would the idea be to have a 20MM ball there instead of 17MM? I could potentially scale it to 20MM and 3D print one to send for testing.

tiltedandsaltyaf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

The problem with the magbak screen corner mounting location is that it's blocked by the steering wheel. The tesla screen is mounted higher so it's clears the sight line.

The problem with the 1in ball mount from @RWerksman is that when you put a large arm on it to give it the height that you need to clear the wheel it sags due to being too heavy

I've just resorted to using a suction cup mount + large ram arm mount in the lower left corner of the windshield now. Doesn't look bad, its out of the way and I can see google map directions clearly
Sponsored