Sponsored

Mounting a cell phone. Has anyone done it?

RWerksman

Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T
I can do a 1" ball. Can you point me toward what you want to hang off of it as I may need to tweak the design just a bit.
Update:

The next batch of these will have a few changes:
  • The ball size will grow just slightly to ~17.2MM from ~17mm. This is to better size it with certain mounts. I'm going to print one of these and check with the three different mounts that I have here.
  • I've tweaked the location of the ball to be slightly more elevated on the L mount. This should help with the production issues with the last run. The issues seem related to the supports needed for the ball and it being too close to the deck to detach correctly.
The mount that I showed earlier was this one, available on Amazon. This one looks close but with not as much movement.

Rivian R1T R1S Mounting a cell phone.  Has anyone done it? Screen Shot 2022-08-01 at 11.59.45 PM
Sponsored

Last edited:

RivianXpress

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Sprinter, TE300i, R1250GSA, KTM 500, 790
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I can do a 1" ball. Can you point me toward what you want to hang off of it as I may need to tweak the design just a bit.

EDIT:

I have it done, but it's ... uh ... huge. I can upload it somewhere, but I'm still not certain if it's going to be remotely close to what people are looking for. As you can see, I really had to shift post holding the ball up so that this guy would be printable.

Screen Shot 2022-08-01 at 11.53.14 PM.png
Short RAM double socket and a Quadlock Ram mount to my phone

harkco

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE / 2018 Lexus GX
The Magbak mount for Tesla Screens works great with the Magbak case. Very solid connection and charges great. These pick are from test fit without the adhesive so there is very slight gap that won't be there when it's stuck on with the 3M.
Photo Jul 25, 1 18 05 PM.jpg
Photo Jul 25, 10 23 55 AM.jpg
@LLJJ - I have this same mount, but the top edge that curves around the top edge of the Rivian display does not have the clearance to mount behind the screen in my unit. Did you modify yours somehow?

LLJJ

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ram 1500, Tahoe ltz, Bmw m3, 2 gem lsv’s
Occupation
Real estate
@LLJJ - I have this same mount, but the top edge that curves around the top edge of the Rivian display does not have the clearance to mount behind the screen in my unit. Did you modify yours somehow?
I just pulled on the screen a little to wedge it between the screen and the wood. It's not that much pressure and I left it there without the adhesive for a few weeks to make sure nothing broke.

harkco

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE / 2018 Lexus GX
I just pulled on the screen a little to wedge it between the screen and the wood. It's not that much pressure and I left it there without the adhesive for a few weeks to make sure nothing broke.
Gotcha. Thanks! Guess I'll give it another go.

Sponsored

Fezzik

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-e GT PE, Rivian R1T, Nissan Titan, Mazda CX-3
Occupation
Self employed
Gotcha. Thanks! Guess I'll give it another go.
I purchased the magbak and it does fit, just wiggle it in but it will not work without a case. I do not use a case on my iPhone and it touches the infotainment glass and sits at a very weird angle so i am returning my Magbak unfortunately

Dirty_B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Sales
https://a360.co/3ceOJeb

I just widened the USB C through which the cable has to pass.

In the version that I printed I had to manually remove some extra material with an xacto knife to allow cable to fit through. I haven't printed this version to validate that it in fact is a perfect fit.

I'm considering adding more material to the ridge along the rear surface to intentionally make contact with the dash to combat some slight shaking that I get on the one I installed. Would essentially involve adding a bit more material in the area highlighted in yellow in image.
1657823508578.png
I cannot access file, do I need an account?

cbuckley

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
FYI - I reduced the shipping amount of these as there was a bit of a quality issue with this batch. I've tested each that I've sent out to ensure they hold hight, but they are just a tick under what I hoped they would be. If someone gets one, and it doesn't work, just send me a message on the site - I'll get a replacement to you ASAP.

Additionally, it looks like some of the balls are actually 17.2MM instead of 17, so for a next batch I'll be scaling it up just slightly.

Oh, and THIS might be the best car mount out there:

IMG_0655.JPG

IMG_0655.JPG

AGC_20220727_210039347.jpg

AGC_20220727_205837141.jpg
I just installed this exact setup and it is perfect. I highly recommend picking up one of RWerksman’s phone mounts and the magnetic mount pictured above. Very sturdy and perfect line of site without interfering with shift stalk or either of the screens with my caseless iPhone 12 max.

RWerksman

Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T

cbuckley

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
I just installed this exact setup and it is perfect. I highly recommend picking up one of RWerksman’s phone mounts and the magnetic mount pictured above. Very sturdy and perfect line of site without interfering with shift stalk or either of the screens with my caseless iPhone 12 max.
Well, it turns out that this combination isn’t too stable after vehicle has been sitting in TX heat. The magnetic mount became very loose on the ball despite being maximumly tightened down and doesn’t support the weight of the phone which causes the phone to flop down.

It’s a shame because it really had promise. Maybe the new version of the 3D printed mount with larger ball would not have this issue?

Sponsored

tiltedandsaltyaf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

EDIT:

I have it done, but it's ... uh ... huge. I can upload it somewhere, but I'm still not certain if it's going to be remotely close to what people are looking for. As you can see, I really had to shift post holding the ball up so that this guy would be printable.

Screen Shot 2022-08-01 at 11.53.14 PM.png
my goal would be to put a short to medium arm + the peak design ball mount to this to give it a bit of height over the steering wheel

rodhx

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, 03 IS300 5spd track/autox
my goal would be to put a short to medium arm + the peak design ball mount to this to give it a bit of height over the steering wheel
That's what I want to do as well. Unfortunately extensions that take 17mm balls on each end do not seem to exist.

jewwithguitar

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
This will work perfectly for my set up (mous case with a mous magsafe charging mount). How can I order a 17 mm ball mount?

RWerksman

Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T
This will work perfectly for my set up (mous case with a mous magsafe charging mount). How can I order a 17 mm ball mount?
I'll post when they are available to order again. Tentatively late August.

camaroz1985

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4
Occupation
Engineer
Update:

The next batch of these will have a few changes:
  • The ball size will grow just slightly to ~17.2MM from ~17mm. This is to better size it with certain mounts. I'm going to print one of these and check with the three different mounts that I have here.
  • I've tweaked the location of the ball to be slightly more elevated on the L mount. This should help with the production issues with the last run. The issues seem related to the supports needed for the ball and it being too close to the deck to detach correctly.
The mount that I showed earlier was this one, available on Amazon. This one looks close but with not as much movement.

Screen Shot 2022-08-01 at 11.59.45 PM.png
Just got around to installing the original part yesterday. With the Belkin Magsafe charger I have, the phone sits pretty much right behind the rim of the steering wheel and mostly isn't visible (I can see the top line of directions if I try to use waze, but nothing else). Maybe I should have used the mount you posted, but I wanted a charging mount.
Sponsored