Sponsored

Mounting a cell phone. Has anyone done it?

camaroz1985

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4
Occupation
Engineer
I have a somewhat similar "Tesla" mount in the Mach E that firmly fits the corner of the center display. Gotta admit...even though I am with all you folks looking for a good phone mount (c'mon ProClip;)) and am very happy Rivian integrated the screens such that we don't have the tacked-on iPad look that plagues the industry these days.
Has anyone reached out to ProClip? I have used them for about 10 years on all my cars and would love to have one in the R1T (of course I would love if I didn’t need the phone at all, but I’m not going to beat that horse any longer).
Sponsored

rodhx

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, 03 IS300 5spd track/autox
Has anyone reached out to ProClip? I have used them for about 10 years on all my cars and would love to have one in the R1T (of course I would love if I didn’t need the phone at all, but I’m not going to beat that horse any longer).
I did this weekend. Hopefully they’ll reply.

pklomboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

RivianCurious

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt EV, Rivian R1T
Clubs

I have a Ram Mount Tough Wedge from my previous vehicles. I removed the weird phone gripper that was included and replaced it with a ball mount with a magnet. It is very sturdy and stable. I'll probably give it a try in my Rivian. Tough Wedge

JamesPolk24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Has anyone tried a wireless magnet product like is used to mount to Tesla screens?

Rivian R1T R1S Mounting a cell phone.  Has anyone done it? 51hQLEIAEpL._AC_SL1000_

Spigen OneTap Pro

Sponsored

RivianCurious

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt EV, Rivian R1T
Clubs

I have a Ram Mount Tough Wedge from my previous vehicles. I removed the weird phone gripper that was included and replaced it with a ball mount with a magnet. It is very sturdy and stable. I'll probably give it a try in my Rivian. Tough Wedge
Rivian R1T R1S Mounting a cell phone.  Has anyone done it? IMG_20220703_062413

Smithery

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MX 100D, XC70, Cooper S JCW, R1T Large
I would say wait until you have your truck and try stuff out before deciding what to do. My other EV, Kia Niro, supports via usb Android Auto and CarPlay. I understand the desire to not have to learn multiple systems/commands, but would urge a try. I would also say that early reports of issues with Nav and other systems should be taken with a grain of salt...OTA updates have and will solve many problems. What I don't understand is the almost visceral distain for Amazon that I see in many posts. Carry a cell phone? Buy online? Figure you are tracked and forget about it.

In terms of interoperability, that is probably coming courtesy of new EU regulations. Apple and Amazon both want to sell in the EU. The EU's Digital Markets Act: What is it and what will the new law mean for you and Big Tech? | Euronews

Not that the tech guys want gates to their 'walled gardens', from the above link:

<<In a statement to the AFP, Apple said it was "concerned" by "certain provisions [which] will create unnecessary privacy and security vulnerabilities for our users, while others will prohibit us from charging for the intellectual property in which we invest heavily".

A free choice of software application shops will be introduced, including bypassing Apple's App Store, which has long been in the Commission's sights.

"While we support many of the DMA's ambitions on consumer choice and interoperability, we remain concerned about the potential risks to innovation and the variety of choices available to Europeans," a Google spokesperson told AFP, saying it would study the final text and cooperate with regulators on its implementation.>>
Sir, this is a Wendy's.

rodhx

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Has anyone tried a wireless magnet product like is used to mount to Tesla screens?

51hQLEIAEpL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

Spigen OneTap Pro
Doesn’t work. I used this very mount in my Mach E. Unfortunately, and thankfully 😉, the Rivian displays are much more integrated into the dash design instead of the “iPad crudely stuck to the dash” that’s so common. I am still looking for a good mount for the truck.

teddyang

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Adeventure Edition, RB, BM, 21"
Clubs

Figured a way to reuse my old mountek phone holder (normally it uses the CD slot to mount to older cars)

Rivian R1T R1S Mounting a cell phone.  Has anyone done it? IMG_9037

Rivian R1T R1S Mounting a cell phone.  Has anyone done it? IMG_9036

JamesPolk24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Doesn’t work. I used this very mount in my Mach E. Unfortunately, and thankfully 😉, the Rivian displays are much more integrated into the dash design instead of the “iPad crudely stuck to the dash” that’s so common. I am still looking for a good mount for the truck.
Is there any space a couple inches down from the corner? There are other similar products that don't have corner mount.

Sponsored

rodhx

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Is there any space a couple inches down from the corner? There are other similar products that don't have corner mount.
I bought one of those options and it’s too big. It would mount behind the center display but interferes with the gear selector stalk. It would probably work for the passenger side but not what I’m looking for.

jwardell

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jwardell.com
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Clubs

My initial placement for the Peak Design mount. I'm always hesitant on using adhesive on soft dashboards, and also worried about the wood. Ideal someone can 3D print a plastic clip-in adapter that clips over the dash. But I realized it's really easy to tuck things underneath the top dash and it holds well. Good view of Waze here, not noticeable to passengers (won't want to muddy the beautiful dash..). Will run/hide wiring to 12v socket this week when I do my dashcam as well.

IMG_0107.jpeg
IMG_4351.jpeg
Just to update, I am still super thrilled with my Peak mount and the perfect location right in view. The top dash loosened up a bit which caused it to sag, and that was solved by adding a piece of VHB to the top of the mount in addition to the VHB on the bottom, so that everything stays stuck together. At this point I have a few thousand miles on it, all wires are now hidden.

RWerksman

Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T

51hQLEIAEpL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

Spigen OneTap Pro
That will not work as the spacing between the top of the screen and the dash pad is very, very slim. Additionally, the back of the screen slightly budges in the middle - think first gen iPad.

kneebuster

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Hyundai Tucson Plug-in Hybrid
Occupation
Professor
Rivian R1T R1S Mounting a cell phone.  Has anyone done it? 20220628_083158

This one holds my phone (Galaxy S22 Ultra with magsafe case), though it doesn't charge. Did some surgery on the unit (flipped the slotted arm in the adhesive mount) to get better range of adjustment. It was like $30 on Amazon.

sac602

First Name
ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4Runner, Lexus NX Hybrid
Clubs

Have a link?
Sponsored