Sponsored

Mounting a cell phone. Has anyone done it?

jewwithguitar

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I have a riviparts ballmount combined with a magsafe charger and I am looking to tuck away the usb cable. Does anyone have instructions for running a usb cable behind the center screen down to the 12V socket?

SilverGhost

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Systems Engineering Manager - Veh Data Acquisition Software
See the cable routing I did in this video...

NathanM

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2013 4Runner
Clubs

I didn't read through all 20 pages (so far) of this thread, but did a keyword search and it seems no one has mentioned the EveryAmp product. I don't have this (placing order now) but it looks like the most elegant solution I've seen so far. Doesn't use adhesive and is made specifically for the R1T, so no workaround and DYA'ing.

https://everyamp.com/shop/dash-anchor-r1t-r1s-2022/

sac602

First Name
ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4Runner, Lexus NX Hybrid
Clubs

If you find a way to route the cable, please post pics and share your ideas...

Sponsored

NathanM

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

I didn't read through all 20 pages (so far) of this thread, but did a keyword search and it seems no one has mentioned the EveryAmp product. I don't have this (placing order now) but it looks like the most elegant solution I've seen so far. Doesn't use adhesive and is made specifically for the R1T, so no workaround and DYA'ing.

https://everyamp.com/shop/dash-anchor-r1t-r1s-2022/
just set this up, so far Iā€™m a big fan.

Rivian R1T R1S Mounting a cell phone.  Has anyone done it? 08531917-9209-4FF5-95D0-DD28F813CE89
Rivian R1T R1S Mounting a cell phone.  Has anyone done it? 3FF77EFA-8890-4EC9-BC12-FBADCF093C93
Rivian R1T R1S Mounting a cell phone.  Has anyone done it? 3E4191D7-C797-42E5-AD37-4872AFAD1CB1

Jayhawkeye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Expedition, Jeep Grand Cherokee
Occupation
Software
My newer build R1S doesnā€™t even have a place for the wire to route to the mount. Has anyone figure out a workaround?

RWerksman

Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T

PowerBugs

First Name
Dru
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota
Itā€™s quickly becoming apparent that without CarPlay being able to safely see my cell phone for nav/traffic apps, stored music, streaming, etc. is going to be very important. Vent clips are a nonstarter due to vent design and automatic movement. I donā€™t want to do anything that would permanently damage the dashboard.
I used the one from riviparts. It's optimal but I'm satisfied with it.
Check it out:
https://www.rivianforums.com/forum/threads/new-riviparts-cell-phone-ball-mount-pro.9269/

SSteveEV

First Name
Spencer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, etc
Clubs

I used a suction mount to the underside of the dash below the main screen (beside 12V outlet). It's not great but holds my phone low and out of the way of the screen. Can flip the arm down and out of view when not in use.

Sponsored

Rally1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, VS30, LR4, LR3
I used the EveryAmp mount and a PeakDesign charger, the supplied cable is the perfect length. It darts along the bottom of the smaller screen, down beside the steering wheel and drops behind the dash to then reappear and plug into the 12v. Iā€™d like to run it behind either of the screens, but don't have the nerve to give them a pull.

Rivian R1T R1S Mounting a cell phone.  Has anyone done it? IMG_0383
Rivian R1T R1S Mounting a cell phone.  Has anyone done it? IMG_0384

mcclajb

First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Model 3
Clubs

just set this up, so far Iā€™m a big fan.

08531917-9209-4FF5-95D0-DD28F813CE89.jpeg
3FF77EFA-8890-4EC9-BC12-FBADCF093C93.jpeg
3E4191D7-C797-42E5-AD37-4872AFAD1CB1.jpeg
Any major vibration with this setup? Also, how much cutoff do you get from the steering wheel? I don't need to see the entire screen while driving, but I would like to see most of it. You wouldn't happen to have any photos of the phone on the mount, with your view from the driver's seat, would you?

NathanM

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

Any major vibration with this setup? Also, how much cutoff do you get from the steering wheel? I don't need to see the entire screen while driving, but I would like to see most of it. You wouldn't happen to have any photos of the phone on the mount, with your view from the driver's seat, would you?
I thought of this originally but the ā€œtake a picture of your phone with your phoneā€ thing was too much for my laziness at the time. But since you asked, here ya go šŸ™ƒ

So itā€™s not perfect and I definitely find myself lifting up to peek over the wheel and view directions from time to time. I adjusted my seat and wheel position a bit and that helped but itā€™s still not perfect. You can also install this mount to the right of the screen but that was in the passengerā€™s way I figured.
As for vibrations, none to speak of. You can tighten it a good bit and it will be wobbly if you donā€™t, but Iā€™ve never had my phone rotate or fall unintentionally.

Rivian R1T R1S Mounting a cell phone.  Has anyone done it? IMG_0037

mcclajb

First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Model 3
Clubs

I thought of this originally but the ā€œtake a picture of your phone with your phoneā€ thing was too much for my laziness at the time. But since you asked, here ya go šŸ™ƒ

So itā€™s not perfect and I definitely find myself lifting up to peek over the wheel and view directions from time to time. I adjusted my seat and wheel position a bit and that helped but itā€™s still not perfect. You can also install this mount to the right of the screen but that was in the passengerā€™s way I figured.
As for vibrations, none to speak of. You can tighten it a good bit and it will be wobbly if you donā€™t, but Iā€™ve never had my phone rotate or fall unintentionally.

IMG_0037.jpeg
Ha! I hear you on the laziness. I would have done the same, so I really appreciate you taking the time to get a photo and respond. This helps a lot. Thanks!

tiltedandsaltyaf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

IMG_0037.jpeg
yep that position without an arm extension is too low, half of the phone gets covered by the wheel.

with a extension, you definitely experience more vibrations but since you are generally driving and not starring at your phone I find it ok. I have the 1in ball mount + the large ram extension
Sponsored