Sponsored

RforRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 4Runner, 2014 Equinox
Wonder what the "Max Pack" will hit 0-60?

Any guesses with the added weight of the batteries?

3.5-3.6 180kwh vs 3.1-3.2 135kwh

Again, I know I can't have it all, but I at least want the truck to be as fast as my old Model S was back when that was "the longest distance EV ever made" (3.9-4.1).

Also... Quicker then the TRX ?

Again really curious to see what kind of times the Hummer SUT EV puts down. These two EV's head to head will be a big showdown.
RJ said that they didn't feel it was right to charge people $10k for the max pack and not have it meet the performance (speaking specifically of the acceleration) of the large pack. I don't have a link to where he said that but I am certain I heard it mentioned it in an interview. So it should be no slower than the numbers we are seeing with the large pack.

Edit: It might have been in an interview with one of the "Lucky 10" that were invited to the very first event in Normal.
Sponsored

MoreTrout

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fusion Hybrid, Rivian R1T
Occupation
Retired USN
Either way, still can't keep up with the boss's 911 Turbo.
Well other than advertising your boss's midlife crisis, not sure what use a 911 even has beyond a speedy 0-60. Last I checked, a 911 wasn't my go to for driving through snow, mud, deep rutted trails, rocks, hauling bikes, hunting/fishing gear, kayaks, towing, providing backup power to my home......and probably about a dozen more. But if my only concern in life/driving was getting a few tenths of a second difference in a capability that has about 0 real world utility, then sure, I'll visit the 911 showroom. I always loved Porsches, but could never think of a single reason to own one.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
What do you guys think of practical differences between forged and cast wheels on Rivian? If I lose air and have to drive to the side of the road for 100 feet with that much weight on the wheel, I assume I will ruin the tire but will the cast wheel more likely to be damaged than forged ?
You could sustain some cosmetic damage with either wheel. As long as you don't try to hop a curb with a deflated tire, the flow-formed (cast) wheel will be fine for street use.

Where forged has an advantage is in off-road situations, especially when tire pressure has been reduced. The forged wheel will better survive rock impacts because it is far more likely to bend/deform rather than break like a cast wheel would. This means the tire is more likely to remain seated and inflated allowing you to drive away instead of stopping to install the spare.

The forged wheel is also lighter so it helps offset the increased weight of the AT tire which is good for efficiency.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Either way, still can't keep up with the boss's 911 Turbo.
Pretty sure their 911 won't be keeping up with you on the trail pictured in your avatar.

Sponsored

moosehead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 Ioniq 5, ‘78 Jeep Wagoneer
Well other than advertising your boss's midlife crisis, not sure what use a 911 even has beyond a speedy 0-60........I always loved Porsches, but could never think of a single reason to own one.
Why 911? Pure joy of driving, which I'm afraid has been lost a bit.

Speed is a but a portion of that. You can haul toys with the proper tool. Note 911's do handle snow well with correct rubber. I'd put the 911 in supermodel category, which may or may not fit the let's get married sector.

For most of my life I also loved Porsches but never considered myself a P car person, perhaps thinking they were too snobish. Until my wife got a Cayenne GTS, then it just confirmed why despite bridging the gap of performance and practicality (the Cayenne, the wife is a supermodel).

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
R
Wonder what the "Max Pack" will hit 0-60?

Any guesses with the added weight of the batteries?

3.5-3.6 180kwh vs 3.1-3.2 135kwh

Again, I know I can't have it all, but I at least want the truck to be as fast as my old Model S was back when that was "the longest distance EV ever made" (3.9-4.1).

Also... Quicker then the TRX ?

Again really curious to see what kind of times the Hummer SUT EV puts down. These two EV's head to head will be a big showdown.
RJ told someone at that first event back in June or July it will be the same.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Even if correct, it still doesn't clarify if this will be possible on an EA 350 kW charger (it shouldn't be based on my knowledge of current EA hardware) or if it will be exclusive to future RAN chargers.
So, noodling this about in my head a bit. The RAN DCFV charger specs also showed a 500amp limit. I wonder if they word it the way they do on the website because they're software locking that feature to RAN either because they haven't been able to get the "switch" protocol to work with other networks, or as a hook to get the membership. "come get the Rivian Adventure membership, it's the only network you can achieve 300kw on!"

Pure speculation. The language is just weird.

McRat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 R1T, MXLR+, 2xVolts, MC's
Occupation
Tinkerer
Last time I priced 911 Turbo S, it was $200k before options. Compare the R1T to the Macan.
The Porsche Taycan Turbo S runs 10.5@130, and seats 4 in comfort and costs less than the 911.

RivianXpress

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Sprinter, TE300i, R1250GSA, KTM 500, 790
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Well other than advertising your boss's midlife crisis, not sure what use a 911 even has beyond a speedy 0-60. Last I checked, a 911 wasn't my go to for driving through snow, mud, deep rutted trails, rocks, hauling bikes, hunting/fishing gear, kayaks, towing, providing backup power to my home......and probably about a dozen more. But if my only concern in life/driving was getting a few tenths of a second difference in a capability that has about 0 real world utility, then sure, I'll visit the 911 showroom. I always loved Porsches, but could never think of a single reason to own one.

Once you drive or own a 911 you'll understand... ;-)

Sponsored

Richbot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model X
Rivian just casually making a pickup truck that stops harder than a lot of big fast sedans is the really amazing part of all this. That is where the Teslas in particular disappoint a bit. Amazing capability.

Once you drive or own a 911 you'll understand... ;-)
I've driven every generation but I think the 930? The mid-80's-early 90's one and the 993 and 992 I haven't even so much as sat in one of those...but I've got seat time in a lot of 911's and I can safely say a) the 911 is not for me. Turbo, GT3, base, 2.0l 70's car, whatever...they weren't shooting at me with that car. I want to love them but I don't. b) the Cayman/Boxster - that's a car I want quite badly, from 2.5l 986 to GT4 I've loved them all but c) I don't want it badly enough to own one of those either. But that's purely practicality speaking. The Boxster in particular is a near-perfect personal conveyance. I love them so much.

In any event, in just about any porsche, the acceleration is the least impressive thing about the car...which is saying something when you've driven some of the trims I have driven. But the 911 just doesn't call to me. I don't, as you say, "understand" the appeal, for myself.

For me, if I was shopping for Porsches, it'd be the Taycan wagon all the way. Most beautiful longroof since the volvo 1800

RivianXpress

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Sprinter, TE300i, R1250GSA, KTM 500, 790
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Rivian just casually making a pickup truck that stops harder than a lot of big fast sedans is the really amazing part of all this. That is where the Teslas in particular disappoint a bit. Amazing capability.

I've driven every generation but I think the 930? The mid-80's-early 90's one and the 993 and 992 I haven't even so much as sat in one of those...but I've got seat time in a lot of 911's and I can safely say a) the 911 is not for me. Turbo, GT3, base, 2.0l 70's car, whatever...they weren't shooting at me with that car. I want to love them but I don't. b) the Cayman/Boxster - that's a car I want quite badly, from 2.5l 986 to GT4 I've loved them all but c) I don't want it badly enough to own one of those either. But that's purely practicality speaking. The Boxster in particular is a near-perfect personal conveyance. I love them so much.

In any event, in just about any porsche, the acceleration is the least impressive thing about the car...which is saying something when you've driven some of the trims I have driven. But the 911 just doesn't call to me. I don't, as you say, "understand" the appeal, for myself.

For me, if I was shopping for Porsches, it'd be the Taycan wagon all the way. Most beautiful longroof since the volvo 1800
Personal preferences is we we diverge.

I've owned two 911's, 2003 Turbo and 2013 Cab. Both we wonderful cars that I enjoyed much more than any BMW or Audi I've owned (M5 and multiple A6 4.2's). Driven the older air cooled cars and they are not for me. Also driven a friends GT3 Touring manual and wow, just wow, that is one hell of a car. Been trying to get an allocation for the 992 Touring but extremely hard to find unless you want to pay $50K over MSRP.

I agree the acceleration is not the high point in a 911. The driving experience and the feel of the car is what does it for me.

protamine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LG R1S, 992 GTS
Occupation
CT Surgery
Personal preferences is we we diverge.

I've owned two 911's, 2003 Turbo and 2013 Cab. Both we wonderful cars that I enjoyed much more than any BMW or Audi I've owned (M5 and multiple A6 4.2's). Driven the older air cooled cars and they are not for me. Also driven a friends GT3 Touring manual and wow, just wow, that is one hell of a car. Been trying to get an allocation for the 992 Touring but extremely hard to find unless you want to pay $50K over MSRP.

I agree the acceleration is not the high point in a 911. The driving experience and the feel of the car is what does it for me.

And lets be honest, 0-60 is similar but by the 1/4 the 911 is travelling 13-15 mph faster. Fast AWD vehicles are fun around town though. The rivian will be borderline unbeatable since you dont have to put it in cheetah mode or wtf or whatever...just stab and go.

911s are great. Theres just a sense of excitement that comes with driving it. But its perfectly balanced with usuable and not punishing and supreme capability. Which is what the R1 does too. They complement each other nicely.

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

For the love of God I hope they stop talking about these acceleration numbers. The last thing we need is more
insecure truck bros roaming America trying to outdo each other with their oversized death machines. What will be worse is that the insecure truck bros can’t afford the new fangled death machines so they’ll be even more enraged when you silently gun it next to them.

Imagine 2025: Cybertruck drivers battling to the death on the roadways with Hummer EV, Rivian, and Lightning EV bros constantly seeing who can outrun each other at every stoplight.

Between rollovers, winter spin outs, and all of the Camry drivers that get killed from being rear ended by a 7k pound vehicle at 130 mph I can see our insurance rates skyrocketing already.
The possibilities are shocking!
Sponsored