fromSf

First Name
m
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus Rx450H, 2023 Genesis GV60
Thanks for the sharing.

The more reviews I read makes me to think that I should switch to 21” tires instead of 20”.

AxelR

First Name
Axel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Tesla Model 3 Performance, 23 Rivian R1S
Clubs

Shorter wheelbase will be less comfortable so going up to the 21s would make sense but I really don’t want to lose the off-road ability of this vehicle. Very little aftermarket (if any) in terms of wheels so I’m sticking with the 20s (plus it makes the whole thing look so much better).

Ladiver

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GMC 3500, Corvette Z06, Rivian R1T, Rivian R1S
Clubs

I hope the software gets to a point where tire size becomes user selectable. I have the R1T with 20s and will get the R1S with 21s. If I want to take the S off-road, I can swap tires.

mike813

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S GW/OC/20 | 2020 Tesla Model Y
Clubs

Thanks for the sharing.

The more reviews I read makes me to think that I should switch to 21” tires instead of 20”.
yes, you should. If you don't have a reason for 20"s due to your use case 21"s are probably the right move

Sponsored

SoCalTravels

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Hyundai Nexo, Lexus RX450h
Looks great for the most part. Biggest disappointment is lack of 3rd row legroom / floor space. Disappointed they couldn’t have done a better job with that. And how the 2nd row moves (or lack there of) for 3rd row access.

PaulPlacerCounty

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW X5 and Subaru Outback
Occupation
Retired Attorney
yes, you should. If you don't have a reason for 20"s due to your use case 21"s are probably the right move
I don't know if this translates forward to today and the Rivian brand, but some years back i bought a used lease-return Range Rover with standard road tires. At least, insofar as I'm aware, the tires did not appear to be particularly designed for off road.

I took part in some pretty radical off road driving in courses offered by the Land Rover dealer; I'm talking rock crawling. And I had no issues whatsoever; the car handled like a dream.

Loved that Land Rover every single day that it actually would start and ran. [Land Rover reliability still sucks to this day]

I have learned to defer to the wisdom and experience of you rock crawlers out there; you know more than me about overland driving.

But I do find myself wondering if, for the occasional off road experience, we're getting too wound up over what wheels and tires we put on the R1S.

I've configured my order for the 21" and feel confident that for the level of moderate off road driving I'll do that they will perform well enough to suit my needs. I place a higher priority on capturing that range sweet spot that is found at 21".

This is not the car you'll take across the Sahara or the Serengeti. Rivian's Adventure Network isn't going there.

So, is this really a great road car that also has impressive off road credentials for short treks? Or are some of us seeing this as a great off road car first and foremost, with road credentials kind of taking a back seat?

My priority is on range.

But that's me, and you need to do you.

Prime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MY(P), Rivian R1T
Aren’t those the 22s they have on?
Yea, I saw that too.. the article mentioned they spent more time with an R1S with the 20s than the 22s, but all the pictures were of a R1S with the 22s. Seemed a bit odd. They also noted a rougher ride on the 20s compared to the 22s, but I believe previous reviews I had read noted the 22s rode a bit harsher due to less rubber (which makes sense).

AllInev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prius V, R1T
Shorter wheelbase will be less comfortable so going up to the 21s would make sense but I really don’t want to lose the off-road ability of this vehicle. Very little aftermarket (if any) in terms of wheels so I’m sticking with the 20s (plus it makes the whole thing look so much better).
Sure, if the look is most important to you then the 20s are the way to go. But I’ve found the 21s great on AND off road. The extra miles on EVERY charge is a nice bonus.

Sponsored

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
I don't know if this translates forward to today and the Rivian brand, but some years back i bought a used lease-return Range Rover with standard road tires. At least, insofar as I'm aware, the tires did not appear to be particularly designed for off road.

I took part in some pretty radical off road driving in courses offered by the Land Rover dealer; I'm talking rock crawling. And I had no issues whatsoever; the car handled like a dream.

Loved that Land Rover every single day that it actually would start and ran. [Land Rover reliability still sucks to this day]

I have learned to defer to the wisdom and experience of you rock crawlers out there; you know more than me about overland driving.

But I do find myself wondering if, for the occasional off road experience, we're getting too wound up over what wheels and tires we put on the R1S.

I've configured my order for the 21" and feel confident that for the level of moderate off road driving I'll do that they will perform well enough to suit my needs. I place a higher priority on capturing that range sweet spot that is found at 21".

This is not the car you'll take across the Sahara or the Serengeti. Rivian's Adventure Network isn't going there.

So, is this really a great road car that also has impressive off road credentials for short treks? Or are some of us seeing this as a great off road car first and foremost, with road credentials kind of taking a back seat?

My priority is on range.

But that's me, and you need to do you.
My Jeep GC Overland came on 20s with All Season tires. I’ve never had any issues with the places in the desert or on other trails I have taken it. I am not a hardcore off roader. I ordered the 22s for my R1S as they appear to have the same size sidewall as my Jeep and they have suited me fine for 8 years.

Might add I can get 24 mpg on highway trips and 16 mpg towing a dual axle 6x12 trailer with these tires.

You would probably know better what will work for what you do so trust your judgement.

AxelR

First Name
Axel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Tesla Model 3 Performance, 23 Rivian R1S
Clubs

Sure, if the look is most important to you then the 20s are the way to go. But I’ve found the 21s great on AND off road. The extra miles on EVERY charge is a nice bonus.
I can understand that. I’ve had Land Rovers that did amazing off-road with street tires.
We also have a house in the Sierras and do a good bit of dirt road and off-roading so the 21s or 22s don’t make much sense for us. For more common driving we have a Tesla.

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
Looks great for the most part. Biggest disappointment is lack of 3rd row legroom / floor space. Disappointed they couldn’t have done a better job with that. And how the 2nd row moves (or lack there of) for 3rd row access.
Having owned Suburbans, it doesn't sound much different from that 3rd row. It's fine for kids. I'm 6-3 and sat back there a few times to try it out. It's ok for short hauls for taller adults. 3rd row seat position (and therefore leg room) is somewhat dictated by the wheel base. It pretty much has to sit over top the rear axle or rear motors. 3 row vehicles are always design challenged and compromised.

Tall_Rider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Suburban, Porsche 911
Having owned Suburbans, it doesn't sound much different from that 3rd row. It's fine for kids. I'm 6-3 and sat back there a few times to try it out. It's ok for short hauls for taller adults. 3rd row seat position (and therefore leg room) is somewhat dictated by the wheel base. It pretty much has to sit over top the rear axle or rear motors. 3 row vehicles are always design challenged and compromised.
It's going to be somewhat tighter than a Suburban as it's quite a bit shorter overall, but as you say, having the 3rd row over the rear axle imposes unavoidable limitations. I've argued for this, but just as Chevy stretches the Tahoe to make the Suburban, I'd love to see Rivian stretch the R1S to give the rear seats more room.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
It's going to be somewhat tighter than a Suburban as it's quite a bit shorter overall, but as you say, having the 3rd row over the rear axle imposes unavoidable limitations. I've argued for this, but just as Chevy stretches the Tahoe to make the Suburban, I'd love to see Rivian stretch the R1S to give the rear seats more room.
Someone made a neat composite image of the R1S back end on an R1T. Looked suburban-esque. Seems like a straightforward thing for rivisn to do at some point. Bigger battery would fit too.
Sponsored