Tyleem111

First Name
Tylee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, 2022 Ford Lightning, Daiharsu Mira, Ranger
Clubs

I sure hope Rivian or MT share all of the homework they did to plan out the trans American trail trip. It would be awesome if they provided the details so we could do the adventure too! At least the path, chargers and recommended daily mileage.
Sponsored

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
lets be fair...$5000 is a bit over-priced for what it is. I'd say a lot of that money is just going to recoup design costs. You can buy an induction stove and plug it into the bed, and probably a set of high end camp cookware and all the rest of it for under a thousand bucks easy.
"Yea but where are you gonna store it, kid?" The integration with the gear tunnel required engineering time separate from the development of the actual vehicle. So they are going to recoup their costs on special accessories. Not surprising. If you want the new stuff you pay for it.

Their other accessories are in line with competitors. $175 for a high quality set of all-weather floor mats is competitive with husky and weather tech, and you get better OEM fit and finish (hopefully).

Spare tire price is not inflated (hehe).
Total up the retail price of all the snow peak items(well over $2000), the stove, the water system, etc. consider the gear shuttle is a $1000 option on its own and it’s actually not unreasonable. Compelling enough for me to buy it.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I sure hope Rivian or MT share all of the homework they did to plan out the trans American trail trip. It would be awesome if they provided the details so we could do the adventure too! At least the path, chargers and recommended daily mileage.
I’d bet that will be a whole article.

Tyleem111

First Name
Tylee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, 2022 Ford Lightning, Daiharsu Mira, Ranger
Clubs

Total up the retail price of all the snow peak items(well over $2000), the stove, the water system, etc. consider the gear shuttle is a $1000 option on its own and it’s actually not unreasonable. Compelling enough for me to buy it.
I was also debating if it was worth the cost for the camp kitchen. I was thinking of buying the shuttle and building my own camp kitchen as I’m pretty handy with design and construction. But the kitchen is already done, tested and I think in the long run it will be a “ collectible“ type item. This is a random reference, but Honda made a small moped called the Honda Motocompo in the 1980’s that fit in the trunk of the Honda City. Now they are quite rare and a collectible. Not saying the camp kitchen will be, but it will be fun to own a part of history and have the “first gear tunnel camp kitchen”.
Rivian R1T R1S Motortrend Drives the 2022 Rivian R1T Off-Road Across the Trans-America Trail 453C75E6-68A6-4B08-82FC-E2C1602F975B

ruawahoo2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Palisade and CX-5
I don’t think it will unless it strikes an agreement with the creator of the TAT. It’s proprietary and you have to pay for that information. I’ve already been looking at it as I live in Utah and it will be fun to venture both east and west from here on that trail!

Sponsored

flabyboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6
Occupation
Health Care
for me it’s a matter of how much I would actually get to use it. The truck will get used daily. The camp kitchen would probably get used twice a year

Atlrivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grand Cherokee, XC90
Clubs

At least a few threads seem to be floating around so apologies in advance if repost but Motortrend has added a piece on the gear tunnel which includes some discussion of the camp kitchen and gear shuttle. https://www.motortrend.com/features/2022-rivian-r1t-gear-tunnel-review/
The article mentions there are two 12V outlets in the tunnel. Does the gear shuttle have an inverter to provide a 120v outlet? Or is there some special wiring Rivian does on shuttle install?

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
The article mentions there are two 12V outlets in the tunnel. Does the gear shuttle have an inverter to provide a 120v outlet? Or is there some special wiring Rivian does on shuttle install?
The article mentions there is a 110v outlet on the shuttle.

Atlrivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grand Cherokee, XC90
Clubs

The article mentions there is a 110v outlet on the shuttle.
Sorry typo 120 v 110. My question is why is there not one in the tunnel itself?

Edit: they specifically say we would need an inverter if we wanted a 110v in the tunnel

Sponsored

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Sorry typo 120 v 110. My question is why is there not one in the tunnel itself?

Edit: they specifically say we would need an inverter if we wanted a 110v in the tunnel
Probably some extra wiring done to get 120v on the shuttle. Edit:
the 13th picture in the gallery for that article. 120v on one end(passenger side I think)
Rivian R1T R1S Motortrend Drives the 2022 Rivian R1T Off-Road Across the Trans-America Trail 1631280251554

Last edited:

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
for me it’s a matter of how much I would actually get to use it. The truck will get used daily. The camp kitchen would probably get used twice a year
Go camping more! ???

we’ll probably use it most weekends from may to October.

I’m excited to not worry about remembering to bring gas for the stove, or if something is in the camping box, and the fringe benefit of having a kitchen along for road trips that has basically zero setup time.

flabyboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6
Occupation
Health Care
Go camping more! ???

I’m excited to not worry about remembering to bring gas for the stove, or if something is in the camping box, and the fringe benefit of having a kitchen along for road trips that has basically zero setup time.
I’m at that stage I’m my life where I work a lot and when I’m not working I’m a taxi service for my kids who all play sports.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I’m at that stage I’m my life where I work a lot and when I’m not working I’m a taxi service for my kids who all play sports.
Ah. You need the tunnel for misbehaving kids. I understand.

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Go camping more! ???

Also can be used as an outdoor kitchen at your home if you don't already have one. Plus if you lose power at home and if V2H hasn't yet been enabled you still have a way to cook.
Sponsored