Sponsored

kurtlikevonnegut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

This epic trip really makes me wish my obsession crossover could happen (doubtful but a man can dream): Clarkson and Friends doing a Grand Tour adventure in Rivians. Maybe with the Amazon tie in between the two camps (pun intended) can make it happen even though personalities probably aren't aligned.

Just imagine, Jezzer in a R1T, May in an R1S, and Hamster in an ICE fall guy (like a F-150 Raptor or something) mucking around through some inhospitable terrain between drag races and other challenges.
Sponsored

Babbuino

First Name
Manuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3
Occupation
DESIGN engineer
Hope you got $100k sitting around :)

With upgrades like a 5k collapsible kitchen, $2500 tent, $10k max pack; added the cost of a Honda Civic to your build

If Rivian proves to be a hit; I suspect some of these fully loaded models might be collectible. I don’t expect that many people will spend $21500 on essentially a tent, a collapsible kitchen, rims, and a larger battery pack
I think he knows the prices for accessories, they are on a public website after all...
BTW, he said the that camping is part of his weekend, so I'm not sure how far a Civic can drive going to different offroad areas. ?
If you are that worried about price, then maybe get 5 sparks instead of 1 R1S

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
Maybe more appropriate to “ACTIVATE FULL TANK MODE, NOW!!!” Good to hear it was a friendly encounter!
“FIRE ZE LASER!”

Same. I just can't think what was in *both* videos that prompted a pull request. And if that was it, why MT didn't quickly just edit it out. I can't really imagine there was something in a good chunk of each clip of those videos that hasn't already been observed. I don't remember anyone watching them and having an "OH SHIT LOOK AT THIS" moment.

Almost makes me wonder if it was something unrelated to the truck.
maybe someone screwed up and scheduled the posts wrong

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Hope you got $100k sitting around :)

With upgrades like a 5k collapsible kitchen, $2500 tent, $10k max pack; added the cost of a Honda Civic to your build

If Rivian proves to be a hit; I suspect some of these fully loaded models might be collectible. I don’t expect that many people will spend $21500 on essentially a tent, a collapsible kitchen, rims, and a larger battery pack
you didn’t tick all the boxes? Peasant.

Sponsored

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles

Cassidy_DM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda6
Occupation
Space
I think he knows the prices for accessories, they are on a public website after all...
BTW, he said the that camping is part of his weekend, so I'm not sure how far a Civic can drive going to different offroad areas. ?
If you are that worried about price, then maybe get 5 sparks instead of 1 R1S
Between the tax credit, a trade-in, and the money I had already saved up for a Model 3, it's not that big of a stretch. Not to mention the money I'll save on gas, maintenance, etc. I used to drive BMWs, so I'm well acquainted with foolishly spending money.?

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Between the tax credit, a trade-in, and the money I had already saved up for a Model 3, it's not that big of a stretch. Not to mention the money I'll save on gas, maintenance, etc. I used to drive BMWs, so I'm well acquainted with foolishly spending money.?
Not sure how I’ll get used to owning a car where I am not greeted by name on sight at the service department

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Has Rivian been able to demo the Rivian charging experience? Does the Rivian branded charger require the user to authenticate and authorize the charge? Or does it just....work (and by that....I mean...is it like a Tesla supercharger?)?
No public demo that I'm aware of. But their website does indicate that Rivian owners can pull-up and plug-in with no manual authentication or payment steps required.

Sponsored

U100

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T

lg3103

First Name
Lars
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW Atlas, Mini SE
Occupation
Director
See below...fletch found the videos from MT...excellent detective work :rock:

Thanks for the tip. Worked for me, and as of now part 2 is still available there, too.

Leg 1: https://apple.news/A1d4VOMgfRzWZZhe5UZPoig
Leg 2: https://apple.news/AXDzxcs9fSi2qnYufaoWIHg

Works in Apple's News app on iOS, iPadOS, and even macOS if you have their News app installed. I just watched both videos full screen on my mac.

If you haven't seen the videos yet and don't have an Apple device: you're honestly not missing very much. They aren't truck reviews. Yes, it's nice to have any new Rivian content, but the videos are really just a trip diary for the motor trend editors. Much is said about the scenery, and their gratitude for being able to take a long off-road trip, but there's really not much at all about the trucks.

LaunchGreen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover
Who really cares if people spend the extra money for the things that make them happy? I'm sure Rivian knows they'll sell enough of them to make money and satisfy a segment of the people that buy the R1T. The way you find the worst in everything is really amazing. I'm guessing Eeyore is the Winnie the Pooh character you relate to best.

Agreed, there is no financial justification for buying a $75k luxury electric truck to begin with so picking on the accessories seems silly. It's a luxury purchase like all high-end vehicles and I'm mostly assuming (hoping) that everyone on here does, in fact, have $100k (or equivalent income) sitting around.

brianmartin

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'19 Camaro 2.0t
lets be fair...$5000 is a bit over-priced for what it is. I'd say a lot of that money is just going to recoup design costs. You can buy an induction stove and plug it into the bed, and probably a set of high end camp cookware and all the rest of it for under a thousand bucks easy.
"Yea but where are you gonna store it, kid?" The integration with the gear tunnel required engineering time separate from the development of the actual vehicle. So they are going to recoup their costs on special accessories. Not surprising. If you want the new stuff you pay for it.

Their other accessories are in line with competitors. $175 for a high quality set of all-weather floor mats is competitive with husky and weather tech, and you get better OEM fit and finish (hopefully).

Spare tire price is not inflated (hehe).

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
lets be fair...$5000 is a bit over-priced for what it is. I'd say a lot of that money is just going to recoup design costs. You can buy an induction stove and plug it into the bed, and probably a set of high end camp cookware and all the rest of it for under a thousand bucks easy.
"Yea but where are you gonna store it, kid?" The integration with the gear tunnel required engineering time separate from the development of the actual vehicle. So they are going to recoup their costs on special accessories. Not surprising. If you want the new stuff you pay for it.

Their other accessories are in line with competitors. $175 for a high quality set of all-weather floor mats is competitive with husky and weather tech, and you get better OEM fit and finish (hopefully).

Spare tire price is not inflated (hehe).
I was in the camp of “I can put together a cheaper kitchen for less” but it’s so well engineered I’m just going to pay the price. No one ooo-ed and ahh-ed at my hot plate in college, but they damn sure will when I bring it out of the side of my truck with a full kitchen set. ?
Sponsored