linkwpc

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S, 2016 CMax, 2001 Saleen, 2002 GS300
Clubs

I have spent over two hours read and watching the video! I love it all!

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
One of the photos in the frunk article has a good look at the portable charger and adapter cables. I'm too lazy to go find the other thread where this was being discussed, so I will just tag @ajdelange since I know they were participating and IIRC thought I might be imagining too simple of a system for the adapters. Turns out that I was, because I had mistakenly thought the 14-50 plug was hardwired. In fact, it is just a very well-concealed (in photos taken from a distance) plug inside the charger. From a code and safety perspective, this makes more sense than what I had in my head from that earlier photo.

I see 3 short cables for different plug types, but one of them is completely obscured under the charging cable. I'm pretty sure I can make out a traditional 5-15 and a 14-50. FWIW, the photo appears to have 2 chargers piled in together, so it looks like a much longer cable between charger and truck than it actually is.

Rivian R1T R1S Motortrend Drives the 2022 Rivian R1T Off-Road Across the Trans-America Trail Screen Shot 2021-09-08 at 11.14.14 AM

Bumble1978

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Nissan Leaf, 2009 Toyota Prius
Occupation
IT Manager
It played for me. Basically just the journalist talking about the differences between levels 1, 2, and 3 when charging. Nothing new and exciting. He does reference that at a level 3 charger you can add 150 miles in 30 minutes.
Assuming a fairly low ~20% SOC guessing that we'll have a good chunk of that 150 miles in the first ten minutes...

Plenty of range to get you home from Whole Foods, making the City/County Park Rangers jealous along the way. ??

Sponsored

kurtlikevonnegut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

I wonder how many new pre-orders they've gotten since these articles...
Reading this today makes me so glad that I put in my preorder last week. I have a feeling the # of preorders is going to skyrocket over the next 4-6 weeks.

The scope of this test leads me to believe that they are planning deliveries for mid-month, following the splash of this story's conclusion next week.

cohall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
That's slower than what Rivian has on the website. If there's on thing I am anxiously awaiting it's to see if they did a decent job with the DCFC charging curve.
Not sure if you were able to watch the video or not, but I wasn't able to tell if he was making specific reference to the Rivian at that point, or just generally talking about level 3 charging.

I'd say there's no need for concern yet until we see some real-world results.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Not sure if you were able to watch the video or not, but I wasn't able to tell if he was making specific reference to the Rivian at that point, or just generally talking about level 3 charging.

I'd say there's no need for concern yet until we see some real-world results.
Watching it now. Agreed. My attitude hasn't changed today about it. I'm still assuming they're limited to 400v charging, and am awaiting to see the charging curve. no reason for it not to sit at 200kw well above 50%.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Anyone see any good shots of the off-road upgrade?

Sponsored

E.S.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt
Occupation
Retired
Despite me talking about heavy beach use in the R1T, I'm typically not your average off-roader. NGL though, having watched this series has got me REALLY stoked about doing it on a more than normal basis (for me).

Bring it on, Rivian! Start pumping out details about that Max pack, baby!! :cool:

Lil'O Annie

First Name
Becky
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicles
R1T LE/LG/FE, 2022 Lariat Lightning
Occupation
Farming, semi-retired
Honestly, I'm sitting here watching these videos with tears in my eyes. I want my baby so bad!! ? Just so damn epic!!

thibbitts

First Name
Toby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2007 FJ cruiser 2018 4runner
Rivian R1T R1S Motortrend Drives the 2022 Rivian R1T Off-Road Across the Trans-America Trail 1631116804350

I believe that those square plastic covers on the lower cab side (just inside each door) of the gear tunnel are the plugs. correct me if I'm wrong.

sevengroove

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Launch Edition
There was one where they placed a camera on the ground and drove over it (with water splashing), but I can't remember whether it was the first or second video and it was just a few seconds. I tried to scrub through the videos but couldn't find it - perhaps someone else will!

jessefive

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prius Prime
Occupation
Real Estate Appraiser
There was one where they placed a camera on the ground and drove over it (with water splashing), but I can't remember whether it was the first or second video and it was just a few seconds. I tried to scrub through the videos but couldn't find it - perhaps someone else will!
Found it, starts at 2:09 on the Leg 2 video:
Rivian R1T R1S Motortrend Drives the 2022 Rivian R1T Off-Road Across the Trans-America Trail R1T underside
Sponsored