Sponsored

uthatch

First Name
Uri
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model X Plaid, Model Y, Bronco - sold for R1T
I used 1/16th wall 1" box for the frame, 3" x 1/8th thick angle for the chocks, and 3/16" plate for the supports between them. I used a 120v mig welder with shielding gas. It's not hard to learn to make things strong, but it takes practice to make the welds pretty. I used to over build everything, but after years of amateur fabrication, I've learned how to make things strong enough for the task without making them weigh 4X what they need to. The problem I have with welding practice is that you can make really big and strong things fast out of metal. Then you're stuck finding somewhere to put it. Mig welding is like instant metal glue. Next big tool for me is a Tig machine so I can weld aluminum. I have a mill and a metal lathe, now I need a better way to stick that stuff together than bolts and screws.
Your setup is really nice, but I have zero welding skills or the creative itch to get any. So I went with the CCR Bed Buddy Hybrid. @Jack Smoke you might want to take a look. There's another thread on here somewhere where another member also did this. Aside from having to but the BedBuddy down to fit in the bed and having to drill holes in it to align with the tonneau holes, it's a very easy install. And easy to take on/off if desired, although I doubt I will.

Securing the bike will require to use at least one of the truck tie-down points, probably both since you won't get anything else in there with a GSA in the bed. I wouldn't trust 4 wellness to hold a 600lb GSA in the bed. But I would absolutely trust the truck's tie down points and the BedBuddy to keep the wheel straight and to have a nicely distributed load across the front of the bed. I'll be hauling street bikes in mine and will be using this setup.

And like @Ash mentioned, don't use the center stand or kickstand to secure the bike. His described method is perfect and will hold a GSA tight. Make sure to have good quality tie-downs, like Ancra. If you are concerned with getting it tight enough, get a couple ratchet straps, like the ones CCR sells.

I've literally hauled thousands of motorcycles in my life. And shipped thousands more in containers. And we found the absolute most secure way was two straps on the handlebars or triple clamps and then 2 supporting straps for the back if necessary. Personally I usually just use two straps and would not hesitate to do so even with a GSA. But if I was going a long distance I would add two more for another level of security and stability.
Sponsored

Jack Smoke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvette Z06, Cherokee, Nissan Titan, BMW 1200GSA
Thanks for the details, I needed a new truck project. I’m getting itchy waiting for the Rivian manual tonneau and was about to start spending cash on materials. This will occupy the brain cells for awhile

Reactions: Ash

Jack Smoke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvette Z06, Cherokee, Nissan Titan, BMW 1200GSA
Your setup is really nice, but I have zero welding skills or the creative itch to get any. So I went with the CCR Bed Buddy Hybrid. @Jack Smoke you might want to take a look. There's another thread on here somewhere where another member also did this. Aside from having to but the BedBuddy down to fit in the bed and having to drill holes in it to align with the tonneau holes, it's a very easy install. And easy to take on/off if desired, although I doubt I will.

Securing the bike will require to use at least one of the truck tie-down points, probably both since you won't get anything else in there with a GSA in the bed. I wouldn't trust 4 wellness to hold a 600lb GSA in the bed. But I would absolutely trust the truck's tie down points and the BedBuddy to keep the wheel straight and to have a nicely distributed load across the front of the bed. I'll be hauling street bikes in mine and will be using this setup.

And like @Ash mentioned, don't use the center stand or kickstand to secure the bike. His described method is perfect and will hold a GSA tight. Make sure to have good quality tie-downs, like Ancra. If you are concerned with getting it tight enough, get a couple ratchet straps, like the ones CCR sells.

I've literally hauled thousands of motorcycles in my life. And shipped thousands more in containers. And we found the absolute most secure way was two straps on the handlebars or triple clamps and then 2 supporting straps for the back if necessary. Personally I usually just use two straps and would not hesitate to do so even with a GSA. But if I was going a long distance I would add two more for another level of security and stability.
Thank you very much for the info. I haven’t used center stand on the 1200, only once with a F800, it wasn’t a great idea.. I’ll look into Bed Buddy.

broc

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Nice work! What Beta is that? I have a 200 but I've been eyeing a 390 lately. I made something similar for my tundra years ago. I'm assuming the 5 places are for hauling two bikes or three at a time. Have you done three at a time. Do they fit? I did in my Tundra but even with the bigger bed it seemed tight and I had to stagger the middle one back 6" so the handlebars wouldn't interfere. It's also nice that you can use the rack mount on the bedrail for the outboard tie down. That was an issue on the Tundra. Well done!

OP
OP

Ash

First Name
Ash
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T & 19' GX460
Occupation
Real Estate
Nice work! What Beta is that? I have a 200 but I've been eyeing a 390 lately. I made something similar for my tundra years ago. I'm assuming the 5 places are for hauling two bikes or three at a time. Have you done three at a time. Do they fit? I did in my Tundra but even with the bigger bed it seemed tight and I had to stagger the middle one back 6" so the handlebars wouldn't interfere. It's also nice that you can use the rack mount on the bedrail for the outboard tie down. That was an issue on the Tundra. Well done!

Thanks, Broc. I hear that Beta 200 is amazing. Mine is a 21' 390 RRS and I'm in love with it. I'm building it into a sort of ultra light adventure bike. I had an 06 CRF 450X, but it was just the wrong bike for the more technical, hard-ish enduro riding I like to do. I'm 100% convinced I bought the right bike this time. The long stroke motor is so good down low and it's really light. Too light for the highway, but I'm working on that.

As far as fitting the bikes in, I managed to get my 450x on ones side, a TTR225 on the other and my son's little electric moto backwards in between. It's a two bike truck, no problem, but three is too much unless you get really crafty. I have a few mottos I live by and one of them is, "you can never have too many tie downs."

BobinIndy

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Rivian R1T, '54 Jaguar XK120
Occupation
Program Manager - Consumer Electronics/Mfg.
Clubs

Rivian R1T R1S Motorcycle wheel chock system installed in the bed.  Just needs a coat of paint! 28BEC823-F24A-457C-BA60-116A70AB4D5A
Your 390 is looking sweet! I had a ‘18 390 as my light adv bike for a while, great do it all bike. I hauled my Xtrainer in the Riv for the first time recently and was wishing I had a chock system… thanks for the inspiration!
Sponsored

• Love
Reactions: Ash