Ash
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T & 19' GX460
Occupation
Real Estate
Hey friends,
I finally had the time to work on this project to make it much easier to tie down our dirt bikes in the bed of my R1T. I thought I would share. This is a custom welded frame with five different slots for various sizes and number of bikes. The holes serve as tie down points. The whole thing is anchored to the 8 small bolts that attach the rear bed cover to the gear tunnel wall and the tonneau cover body. It's surprisingly stout and isn't going anywhere. Zero flex even with my 450 tied down and my spirited driving style. Now it just needs a coat of paint. Fire away with any questions.

Cheers,

Ash

Rivian R1T R1S Motorcycle wheel chock system installed in the bed.  Just needs a coat of paint! IMG_2516.JPG

Rivian R1T R1S Motorcycle wheel chock system installed in the bed.  Just needs a coat of paint! IMG_2515.JPG

Rivian R1T R1S Motorcycle wheel chock system installed in the bed.  Just needs a coat of paint! IMG_2514.JPG
Sponsored

OP
OP

Ash

First Name
Ash
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T & 19' GX460
Occupation
Real Estate
Beauty - nice work!! Now for some more pics with the bikes loaded :)
Sure thing. I'll snap some pics next time we go. We usually ride at least once a week, but a decent storm just rolled through. It's gonna be a week or so.

FutureTruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Pre Order 10/2021, Delivered 8/2022
Nice. I want to do something like that for my fat tire e-bikes.

Standing by for the chime-in on ā€œhow those bolt holes arenā€™t designed to support dynamic loadsā€ comment.

OP
OP

Ash

First Name
Ash
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T & 19' GX460
Occupation
Real Estate
Standing by for the chime-in on ā€œhow those bolt holes arenā€™t designed to support dynamic loadsā€ comment.
I know right? I was thinking I could make the fasteners on the bottom longer so they penetrate by 10-15mm, then add a support brace across the back inside the gear tunnel, but it turned out to be necessary, imho.

Sponsored

Ogryry

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Self
The screws are just holding it in place. No tensile and barely any sheer stress on them. If anything this brace is helping because instead of the force of the tire compressing to just the footprint of the tire itā€™s being distributed over a larger area.
Now if you threw eye bolts into those holes and used as tie downs thatā€™s be a different story.
And for all transparency I have no idea what it looks like under that cover panel!

OP
OP

Ash

First Name
Ash
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T & 19' GX460
Occupation
Real Estate
The screws are just holding it in place. No tensile and barely any sheer stress on them. If anything this brace is helping because instead of the force of the tire compressing to just the footprint of the tire itā€™s being distributed over a larger area.
Now if you threw eye bolts into those holes and used as tie downs thatā€™s be a different story.
And for all transparency I have no idea what it looks like under that cover panel!
It's stronger than I expected. I tie my son's bike to the holes in the chocks, so there's a decent amount of pull on it when I accelerate. I used 3 series stainless fasteners, in part because they won't rust as easily, but also because they'll stretch and deform a decent amount before breaking. The riv-nuts are on there pretty good, but the sheetmetal the lower ones are attached to is thin. The extruded aluminum housing of the tonneau cover is doing most of the work. The real purpose of this thing is to keep the front wheels from turning.

OP
OP

Ash

First Name
Ash
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T & 19' GX460
Occupation
Real Estate
UPDATE! @cbrcanuck , here's those pics with the bike loaded you asked for a while back. This thing has been working fantastic. It wouldn't need the strap around the front tire if I didn't drive so fast. I also feel quite blessed that my bed cover is still working fine. Also included a gratuitous mud covered shot at Hollister Hills OHV park in California, post ride yesterday.

Cheers,
Ash
Rivian R1T R1S Motorcycle wheel chock system installed in the bed.  Just needs a coat of paint! IMG_3081.JPG
Rivian R1T R1S Motorcycle wheel chock system installed in the bed.  Just needs a coat of paint! IMG_3082.JPG
Rivian R1T R1S Motorcycle wheel chock system installed in the bed.  Just needs a coat of paint! IMG_3113.JPG

Jack Smoke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvette Z06, Cherokee, Nissan Titan, BMW 1200GSA
Think itā€™s strong enough to hold BMW 1200 GSA?
Rivian R1T R1S Motorcycle wheel chock system installed in the bed.  Just needs a coat of paint! 57FCAE02-C3AF-4D44-A1CA-6F1CE5667D57

OP
OP

Ash

First Name
Ash
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T & 19' GX460
Occupation
Real Estate

Sponsored

cbrcanuck

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
That looks fantastic, thanks! And good timing, I just pulled my bike out today to start getting it ready for spring. Though weā€™ve had so much snow this winter I wonā€™t be able to get it into the mountains until probably June. And Iā€™m hopefully 4-6 weeks from an R1T delivery, so Iā€™ll be looking to get it setup for bike travel soon after!

Jack Smoke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Looks like a good design, all the V plate is doing is keeping the front tire from flopping around. Iā€˜m not sure I want to see if the spare tire cover can support the weight of the center stand. Iā€™ve come up with some creative ways to tie down the the 1200 in the back of my Titan. I tried center stand, side stand and no stand, no stand was the best, but hardest to strap down. A friend of mine gave me his motorcycle mounting brackets for a trailer. But I really donā€™t want to modify my trailer or take it on and off

OP
OP

Ash

First Name
Ash
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T & 19' GX460
Occupation
Real Estate
I agree with you that the center stand is a bad idea on the spare tire cover. I have two large ramps for loading, so I can walk up one while driving the bike up the other. As long as there's a tie down from the bike ramp to the trailer hitch, I would have no problem getting a GS up there. Should be pretty easy to tie down with soft ties around the lower triple clamps, then two more in the back, all pulling down and forward. The bike wouldn't go anywhere. When I was young, I worked at a couple motorcycle shops, often delivering Harley's in the back of a Dakota.

Jack Smoke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Iā€™m pretty lucky with the layout of my yard and I can roll a bike from the the lawn straight from the grass onto the tail gate. If the stakes werenā€™t so high, I could ride on, but turning a front tire on the tailgate lip and damaging the bike, truck and myself at the same time, means I have to call a friend and spring for a six pack.

Since you fabricated this yourself, what kind of metal did you use, bolt diameter & length , what type of welding? MiG, Tig or gas? I has access to a shop thatā€™ll help me with the cutting, but, they would love a chance to laugh at my welds.

OP
OP

Ash

First Name
Ash
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T & 19' GX460
Occupation
Real Estate
I used 1/16th wall 1" box for the frame, 3" x 1/8th thick angle for the chocks, and 3/16" plate for the supports between them. I used a 120v mig welder with shielding gas. It's not hard to learn to make things strong, but it takes practice to make the welds pretty. I used to over build everything, but after years of amateur fabrication, I've learned how to make things strong enough for the task without making them weigh 4X what they need to. The problem I have with welding practice is that you can make really big and strong things fast out of metal. Then you're stuck finding somewhere to put it. Mig welding is like instant metal glue. Next big tool for me is a Tig machine so I can weld aluminum. I have a mill and a metal lathe, now I need a better way to stick that stuff together than bolts and screws.
Sponsored