First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, e-tron GT,Ram CTD,R1250GSA, Tuareg 660
Occupation
Orthopaedic Implant Sales
Hauled a friends new bike about a month ago on my small Aluma trailer. I haul my GSA and X-Challange to the dealer with this setup with similar stats.

Rivian R1T R1S Motorcycle Hauling Trip with R1T -- Good news for the bike folks! EB669B7D-209C-4802-AF46-DD70D56A4BAD

Rivian R1T R1S Motorcycle Hauling Trip with R1T -- Good news for the bike folks! 1C3947F6-0BA7-4361-B475-B41EFB21A744

Rivian R1T R1S Motorcycle Hauling Trip with R1T -- Good news for the bike folks! 7E4ACEAC-952C-424B-AC12-598C18F1FDCC

Rivian R1T R1S Motorcycle Hauling Trip with R1T -- Good news for the bike folks! C52BDD0C-1215-477E-99D4-11B9B2FF1BB8

It's much easier to load onto the trailer than in the bed.
Sponsored

ohseedee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Overall length of bed is 84" and it looks like my Africa Twin (62" wheelbase) would fit (haven't tried it). A portion of the rear tire would be out past the end of the tailgate but it would be firmly resting inside the 84". I think you'd probably be close but okay unless you used some large chock setup that pushed you back much more.
I just measured out my Desert X and as long as the chock doesnt push me out more than 2 inches I should be "ok" with an 84" bed. Anymore than 2 inches and I'm not making full rear tire contact. I've never loaded a bike in a truck, so how much does a chock typically push out? The other issue is the ramp and how much space behind the tire I'd need to lay it on the tail gate. If a chock adds an inch and the ramp needs more than an inch, I'm not loading this bike in the bed.

RivianXpress

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Sprinter, TE300i, R1250GSA, KTM 500, 790
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I just measured out my Desert X and as long as the chock doesnt push me out more than 2 inches I should be "ok" with an 84" bed. Anymore than 2 inches and I'm not making full rear tire contact. I've never loaded a bike in a truck, so how much does a chock typically push out? The other issue is the ramp and how much space behind the tire I'd need to lay it on the tail gate. If a chock adds an inch and the ramp needs more than an inch, I'm not loading this bike in the bed.
Here's the folding ramp I've used for the last few years:

https://www.etrailer.com/ATV-Ramps/Stallion/288-07432.html

My chock setup works great. (Post #20) and doesn't push teh bike back more than an inch?

https://www.rivianforums.com/forum/threads/bed-rails.1292/page-2

I also use the rear bed hooks to attach some ratchet straps to the footpegs to compress the rear suspension.

ohseedee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T

Ravenron

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2020 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Engineer/Retired Military
I use a over center chock similar to what Erik used in post #16. This looks like it would add ~1.5”. You could likely get the ramp lip wedged under the rear tire but it’s gonna be close. The lightweight trailer mentioned above would be the best option but just means more $$$.

Sponsored

JGard18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T Adv, 2023 Volvo XC40 Recharge
Occupation
Consultant
I was terrified of how bad the efficient would be but she did great. I should have taken this picture before getting off the highway but the average w:as over 70, setting cruise to 78-80. Temps in the high 30s to low 40s. Conserve mode with auto height. 1.75mi/kw was pretty easily sustainable. I was worried my range would be ~150 miles but it's around 225 with a relatively short and aerodynamic bike in back. I imagine I can get near the same if I pull the windscreen off my adv bike. So today was a good day!

Edit:21s and almost no HVAC on during the drive (didn't need it).

20221122_125202.jpg

20221121_175511.jpg
I used to have this bike! 2002 Boxer Cup Prep model. God I loved that thing! I used it as a commuter, but also did like 4-5 track days with it. Such a great and versatile bike. I still regret selling it

OP
OP

loudog3114

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla P100D, 98 TJ, Silverado SS, 18 Camaro 2SS
Occupation
IT
I used to have this bike! 2002 Boxer Cup Prep model. God I loved that thing! I used it as a commuter, but also did like 4-5 track days with it. Such a great and versatile bike. I still regret selling it
You're going to hate me. I always wanted one and found it 200 miles away with 30k on it for $2k. Knocked em down to $1500. Fully functioning bike with the hard cases and abs. Just some scrapes on one head from a drop. It's a nice addition to the stable.

JGard18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T Adv, 2023 Volvo XC40 Recharge
Occupation
Consultant
You're going to hate me. I always wanted one and found it 200 miles away with 30k on it for $2k. Knocked em down to $1500. Fully functioning bike with the hard cases and abs. Just some scrapes on one head from a drop. It's a nice addition to the stable.
That's awesome. Mine had the hard panniers, but no ABS. Back in 2012 (while living in SF) I bought it for $4,400 with only 8k miles on it. I sold it 3 years later with 20k miles on it for $5,000. The dude who bought it totalled it two days later. I was quite sour!

Also, not sure what you have for exhaust, but mine came with a full Remus system and holy. crap. Yes it was loud, but it sounded SO good

TheIglu

First Name
Clayton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2004 Mazdaspeed Miata
Occupation
IT
See you at a track day or two next season?

OP
OP

loudog3114

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT

Sponsored

TheIglu

First Name
Clayton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2004 Mazdaspeed Miata
Occupation
IT
We have a couple octogenarians riding with us regularly, and countless in their 60's and 70's.

If you can ride on the street without crashing, you can do it on the track.

Just saying...

OP
OP

loudog3114

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT

ohseedee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I’ve used one. Joe Hauler makes a killer one that’s very beefy, but they’re terrible for aero drag. It would be far worse than having the bike in the bed.
Might be better for aero than a trailer (and cheaper and easier to store). I still don't have the truck so have not tested anything, but my bike happens to have the largest wheelbase of any ADV (Desert X) at 63.3" and I'm thinking might be tough for the short bed. Looking at alternatives ahead of a trip in the spring if the bed doesn't work.

Inkedsphynx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 LE R1T, '21 CB500FA, '21 CMX1100A
I don't really have a real good reason for saying no, but just looking at that makes me nervous. I don't think I'd ever use one of these. I can imagine the stress on the hitch is pretty high if you were to hit a big bump going too fast. I'll stick with trailering my bikes when the need arises - always feels like the safest option to me (I'm not a fan of bed loading bikes, and the one time recently I had to transport a bike it wasn't able to be started so I couldn't ride it up into the bed. Even tho I have a bed ramp I decided to opt for the trailer rather than risk my, or the truck's, safety during the load/unload.)
Sponsored