Clubs

evo7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota 4Runner, Jeep Grand Cherokee
Occupation
Marketing
I read the other day some people on this thread saying it was insulting for the MotorTrend video to get a low view count on YouTube or something.

Those videos right now have 82K (interior) and 172K (first drive) views respectively. That channel averages 25-35K views per video (probably less actually). Considering YouTube's algo and the way videos are shown, those Rivian videos actually performed extremely well for being published to THAT specific MotorTrend channel. I bet over time, they get close to 1M views, which would be very rare for the channel as well.

That plus the fact that YouTube is only a fraction of the MotorTrend reach.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
Gonna be pretty bummed if they don't have a drain. That would be a weird oversight for Rivian.
Remember one thing about drains and drain plugs (learned the hard way by many boaters): If water can go out the bottom of something, it can also come in from the bottom. I suspect Rivian made a very intentional decision to not have a drain plug in frunk because it would mean possible water intrusion while fording.

Sponsored

bajadahl

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus LX470
Occupation
IT
Not too much new, but there's an article on the frunk: https://www.motortrend.com/features/rivian-r1t-electric-truck-frunk-hands-on-review

It does confirm that there's no power or drain plug in the front. For now...
I don't know about the drain plug but I do know they added a 12volt outlet in the frunk. Motortrend has been incorrect on a few things or at least poor wording. I am trying to find proof that the 12volt power is still there. I also believe these are older builds that Motortrend is reviewing.

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Remember one thing about drains and drain plugs (learned the hard way by many boaters): If water can go out the bottom of something, it can also come in from the bottom. I suspect Rivian made a very intentional decision to not have a drain plug in frunk because it would mean possible water intrusion while fording.
There's supposed to be a drain in the one for the spare tire, but I guess getting a little water in there from fording isn't as big an issue.

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
There's supposed to be a drain in the one for the spare tire, but I guess getting a little water in there from fording isn't as big an issue.
Yep, I think that's right and it makes sense. If your spare tire and jack get wet, it really shouldn't be a problem. If your portable charger and any gear in your frunk or gear tunnel get wet, it's a much bigger deal.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
That seems easily solvable. Just have it be a screw-in plug with one or more gaskets.

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
I don't know about the drain plug but I do know they added a 12volt outlet in the frunk. Motortrend has been incorrect on a few things or at least poor wording. I am trying to find proof that the 12volt power is still there. I also believe these are older builds that Motortrend is reviewing.
Confirmed with chat with CS this morning that there is still a 12v in frunk.

Sponsored

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
That seems easily solvable. Just have it be a screw-in plug with one or more gaskets.
Still doesn't keep someone from forgetting to put the plug back in. It's definitely a solvable problem, but I suspect they wanted to idiot proof such an important bit of storage space that's also going to be by far the most obvious place to keep things that should stay as dry as possible. They probably figure there's already plenty of space for wet gear, ice, etc. in the bed of the truck and in the well for the spare tire. Now... on the R1S, that "wet" space doesn't exist.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Still doesn't keep someone from forgetting to put the plug back in. It's definitely a solvable problem, but I suspect they wanted to idiot proof such an important bit of storage space that's also going to be by far the most obvious place to keep things that should stay as dry as possible. They probably figure there's already plenty of space for wet gear, ice, etc. in the bed of the truck and in the well for the spare tire. Now... on the R1S, that "wet" space doesn't exist.
Fair point you made about the bed and not wanting to have a place to water to enter. One of the things I liked about the Mach E and Lightning is that I could toss wet and dirty crap in there from hiking and then rinse it out, so I had it in my head to do the same with the R1T. Which made be totally forget about the obvious solution that is the bed when I saw the "no drain" statement.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
I also confirmed this in chat with CS today. They mentioned there is a drain as well. And the bottom portion is plastic lined, upper(presumably from the “shelf” up) is felt/carpet. Couldn’t confirm location of 12v exactly.

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Article has been updated by Motor Trend, but still unsure on the drain for it...

Rivian R1T R1S Motor Trend Review: The 2022 Rivian R1T Is the Most Remarkable Pickup We’ve Ever Driven 1631203029352
Sponsored