First Name
Chase
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Tesla Model X, 2018 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel
Occupation
Sr. Program Manager
One reason they (some of them) bought a truck instead of an SUV - flexibility.
This is the sole reason I'm getting the R1T versus the R1S.

I could haul a boat just fine with the S, I could use my kayak racks on the S fine, etc...

But... having had more than a few SUVs, they are not great at throwing a ton of dirt, bark, crab pots, etc... into, or doing dump runs in.

So, I need the utility of the truck bed. (and I'd prefer at least a 5 1/2 foot bed like my RAM, and even that one has been too small for a few jobs).

Im in MN and would say the majority of the trucks I see are for the utility. That being said, I don’t think many people around here will replace their Chevy or Ford with a Rivian. Too much brand loyalty and misguided information on EVs in general. I’m not in a progressive area
The same feedback from most of my family when I told them I was looking at one (they are coming around to EV's after having been around me and my Tesla X), but it's the brand loyalty issue, the bed size (seriously a killer for them all... none of their gear... and we are talking thousands of dollars worth of gear for their work... will not fit or work with the Rivian), and the cost (even though they all drive $50-$80k trucks as is).

But, I think you have the other hurdles well pegged as well:
  1. Bad info/Misunderstanding
  2. Brand loyalty (no one in my family drives a Toyota truck.. and the derision given to the Honda Ridgeline is amazing).
The F-150 Lightening will do well with my family though (more of a traditional truck, which is what they are after).
Sponsored

Last edited:

flabyboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6
Occupation
Health Care
This is the sole reason I'm getting the R1T versus the R1S.

I could haul a boat just fine with the S, I could use my kayak racks on the S fine, etc...

But... having had more than a few SUVs, they are not great at throwing a ton of dirt, bark, crab pots, etc... into, or doing dump runs in.

So, I need the utility of the truck bed. (and I'd prefer at least a 5 1/2 foot bed like my RAM, and even that one has been too small for a few jobs).

The same feedback from most of my family when I told them I was looking at one (they are coming around to EV's after having been around me and my Tesla X), but it's the brand loyalty issue, the bed size (seriously a killer for them all.. none of their gear.. and we are talking thousands of dollars worth of gear for the work... will not fit or work with the Rivian), and the cost (even though they all drive $50-$80k trucks as is).

But, I think you have theother hurdles well pegged as well:
  1. Bad info/Misunderstanding
  2. Brand loyalty (no one in my family drives a Toyota truck.. and the derision given to the Honda Ridgeline is amazing).
The F-150 Lightening will do well with my family though (more of a traditional truck, which is what they are after).
Well the Ridgeline is really really ugly. One of the worst looking trucks out there IMO. That and the Avalanche ?

personally see the Rivian doing better with the Jeep, FJ and 4Runner crowd

Last edited:

Temerarius

First Name
Chase
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Tesla Model X, 2018 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel
Occupation
Sr. Program Manager
Well the Ridgeline is really really ugly. One of the worst looking trucks out there IMO. That and the Avalanche ?

Completely agree on all fronts.

Rivian calls it a "life style" truck, not a "work truck" and that maybe what the reviews are eluding to. She's designed to load toys and family into and go camping, surfing, kayaking, or other adventures... not so much for loading up sheetrock and framing 2x4's (she can, but it won't be what she's best suited for), or lifting it on a set of 37" tires and hanging a set of truck nuts off of.

EarlyAdptr

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sequoia
Occupation
Consultant
As far as private vehicles go, the vast majority of trucks I see driving down the road have empty beds. Day to day 90% empty by my very unscientific observations :)

The gear tunnel would make a great toolbox - locked, out of way, etc. That goes to point #3. Wonder who is going to start making cool accessories like that first?
Wowza, that would be GREAT. Built-in chop saw along with all my tools / battery chargers. A portable workshop.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
Wowza, that would be GREAT. Built-in chop saw along with all my tools / battery chargers. A portable workshop.
Gear shuttle has 120V outlets. Probably wouldn’t be hard to attach a mitre saw to the T slots. ?

Sponsored

hola29

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
If you got down with the engineering of it, a table saw with lots of tool storage below, and power for your compressed air tools. If Rivian is successful (I think they will be) we should see some cool gear tunnel stuff...a well designed gear, work surface & toolbox is the low hanging fruit...

Gear shuttle has 120V outlets. Probably wouldn’t be hard to attach a mitre saw to the T slots. ?

emoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T

I’m in the 4Runner crowd. I’d probably buy an EV 4Runner if Toyota made one but that might be a decade or more. Hence why I have an R1T on order. The R1S looks cool but it’s too Range Rover for my taste.

Surferdude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Also a concern.

Once upon a time, Rivian was going to use an electrochromic roof, so that would have provided the best of both scenarios -- light for night use, and dark for day use. Unfortunately, that feature was scrapped (I believe "cost" was the reason given). Since the headliner/roof was never intended to have a shade screen, Rivian had to make a choice. Redesign a bunch of parts, have a normal piece of glass that will basically cook people half the year, or tint the glass so dark that it can handle the sun, but risk making it essentially-opaque at night.

I would have loved to see the electrochromic remain -- even as a paid option. Alternatively, I wish they had put a little more design work to integrate a motorized shade. But actually, I wish they used a more traditional panoramic roof that opens, like almost every other manufacturer.
I would have preferred a solid roof option (with insulation) in my year-round hot and sunny climate. I plan on adding a couple extra layers of tint to mitigate the fact that it's just a sheet of glass between the top of my head and the searing hot sun.

Blueassassin

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T, Hummer H1, Lotus Elise
Occupation
Equipment Manager
Clubs

OK did anyone else notice this? .17 sec on the interior video

Rivian R1T R1S Motor Trend Review: The 2022 Rivian R1T Is the Most Remarkable Pickup We’ve Ever Driven 1630678230464

twinprice

First Name
Winston
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yukon XL Denali, Tesla Model Y, and LE RS1 - Hopefully!
Clubs

OK did anyone else notice this? .17 sec on the interior video

1630678230464.png
Ok, I'll bite...what am I supposed to see here? I just went back and looked at the video again and I am not sure what I am supposed to see at 0:17. Yes, it does look like your screen capture above but what am I missing?

Sponsored

Blueassassin

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Equipment Manager
Clubs

the center light is off.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S

twinprice

First Name
Winston
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yukon XL Denali, Tesla Model Y, and LE RS1 - Hopefully!
Clubs

the center light is off.
Ahh...I see. Well, maybe that is configurable? That would be kind of cool if it added to the amount of light from the front - like high beams or even instead of having KC HiLiTES or something like that.

Blueassassin

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Equipment Manager
Clubs

yeah, so? probably a pre-prod glitch.
That or can we turn it on or off first time ive seen a picture without the full bar lit up.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
That or can we turn it on or off first time ive seen a picture without the full bar lit up.
ok, maybe that's useful/exciting to someone? ?‍♂
Sponsored