Sponsored

electrictaco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Yeah, that's what I'm guessing too. It's still 2 charging sessions. Once probably in Auburn on the way up.
I normally budget a gas stop once on the way up to make sure I don't get gouged by the Tahoe gas prices. If you have a ski house, then it's easy enough to leave the truck plugged in on Level 1 for a trickle charge over the course of the weekend. Otherwise there's a couple stations in the Olympic Valley lots and yeah, worst case scenario you hit the Electrify America station on the way out of town.
Sponsored

thrill

First Name
billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
i3s, (r1t)
"said Benchmark analyst Mike Ward."

I take exception to this anal-yst's statement about "need a pickup for it's intended use". Presumably he is implying the out of date stereotype that pickup trucks are intended for "work use". Wake up, Mike Ward - for at least the past 20 plus years, a pickup truck has been a mainstream vehicle with diverse intended uses by a diverse group of people.
If I was someone that paid money for Benchmark's analysis, I'd reevaluate my research budgeting.

electrictaco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Los Angeles begs to differ.
A lot more traffic and worse air quality. LA outdoors is hiking Runyon canyon with 1,000 influencers.

jjwolf120

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Occupation
TPA
A lot more traffic and worse air quality. LA outdoors is hiking Runyon canyon with 1,000 influencers.
There are all kinds of trails in the San Gabriel mountains, skiing is closer. Not sure about air quality this summer, but normally SF is better. Also, LA weather is better except in the summer. I haven't noticed LA traffic being particularly worse than SF traffic, I call that a tie.

Sponsored

Pedritho

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Toyota Prius 2000 Toyota 4Runner
There are all kinds of trails in the San Gabriel mountains, skiing is closer. Not sure about air quality this summer, but normally SF is better. Also, LA weather is better except in the summer. I haven't noticed LA traffic being particularly worse than SF traffic, I call that a tie.
Agreed on the traffic. You can even throw in OC traffic, the Orange Crush probably takes the same amount of time to get through as crossing the Bay Bridge.

Gdorff

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Audi RS5
Occupation
Business owner / CIO
What's this thing you call "rain"? My wipers are used to clean dust off the windshield.
Yeah here in California they should just include cloth and glass cleaner.. who needs windshield wipers without rain..

Temerarius

First Name
Chase
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Tesla Model X, 2018 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel
Occupation
Sr. Program Manager
As a guy that was born in Montana and lived there until I was in my 20's I can see a couple issues with the R1T from the perspective of a "truck guy":
  1. Bed size - It's too small. A 4 1/2 bed is a huge drawback (and the tailgate trick doesn't count, shit will fly out of the back of the truck, so unless you can actually enclose that space and keep, say, a cubic yard of dirt, sand, gravel, bark, tools, or unwanted relatives, from flying out while driving down road, it's a major issue.
  2. Bed size (part 2) - Truck mounted toolboxes and racks are expensive and unless I can drop that piece of gear from my F-150/250, RAM 1500/2500, etc... it's probably a ship stopper.
  3. Customization - Can I lift it and slap on a set of 35's? Can I slam it to the ground? How do I make it "Mine"?
These are just my top of mind thoughts (and not reasons to keep me from buying it as I mainly need it for hauling a boat around and for some family oriented offroad adventures and fun, with a few trips to the dump or yard supply).

DocAdvocate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Not a Rivian
As a guy that was born in Montana and lived there until I was in my 20's I can see a couple issues with the R1T from the perspective of a "truck guy":
  1. Bed size - It's too small. A 4 1/2 bed is a huge drawback (and the tailgate trick doesn't count, shit will fly out of the back of the truck, so unless you can actually enclose that space and keep, say, a cubic yard of dirt, sand, gravel, bark, tools, or unwanted relatives, from flying out while driving down road, it's a major issue.
  2. Bed size (part 2) - Truck mounted toolboxes and racks are expensive and unless I can drop that piece of gear from my F-150/250, RAM 1500/2500, etc... it's probably a ship stopper.
  3. Customization - Can I lift it and slap on a set of 35's? Can I slam it to the ground? How do I make it "Mine"?
These are just my top of mind thoughts (and not reasons to keep me from buying it as I mainly need it for hauling a boat around and for some family oriented offroad adventures and fun, with a few trips to the dump or yard supply).
I think the bed size is completely a subjective issue. For some its too small, for others it can be just fine. Heck I'm sure there'll be people that wish it was smaller. There is a reason why there are multiple sizes of cars/SUVs/trucks etc...

Customization will probably come in time. Once the car is out long enough for 3rd party vendors to create parts and equipment, I'm confident that industry will take off with Rivian just as it has for basically every other vehicle.

hola29

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
As far as private vehicles go, the vast majority of trucks I see driving down the road have empty beds. Day to day 90% empty by my very unscientific observations :)

The gear tunnel would make a great toolbox - locked, out of way, etc. That goes to point #3. Wonder who is going to start making cool accessories like that first?

Sponsored

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
I’m in Georgia, (Atlanta suburbs, not South Georgia) and I’d say half the pickups around me are lifted, have exhausts tuned for being loud more than performing well, and have the same absurd oversized offset rims with wide tires and skinnier sidewalls than a Lambo. None of those are being used for “truck things“ regularly and many have never been off pavement or carried any lumber, dirt, or any work materials in the bed.

Driveout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Even though this was preproduction, the input was most welcome from a respected publication. For those of us follicly challenged a mullet might well be welcome. I need to know if at the end of the day sitting around the crackling, flaring camp fire clearing the last of the cheek lifting bean dinner the speaker will allow for karaoke and pulse the light to the thumping base of ancient cowboy songs. So many megapixels devoted to a speaker. I don't really care about grocery hooks. Will my 5' wife be able to reach that orange that rolled out of the bag onto the floor of the frunk? Maybe I do care about grocery hooks. Vital info...

ruawahoo2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Palisade and CX-5
I’m in Georgia, (Atlanta suburbs, not South Georgia) and I’d say half the pickups around me are lifted, have exhausts tuned for being loud more than performing well, and have the same absurd oversized offset rims with wide tires and skinnier sidewalls than a Lambo. None of those are being used for “truck things“ regularly and many have never been off pavement or carried any lumber, dirt, or any work materials in the bed.
Are you sure you’re not in Utah? ?

Ralph

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Outback
As far as private vehicles go, the vast majority of trucks I see driving down the road have empty beds. Day to day 90% empty by my very unscientific observations :)

The gear tunnel would make a great toolbox - locked, out of way, etc. That goes to point #3. Wonder who is going to start making cool accessories like that first?
I'm guessing you are right re: 90%, But for many people, it is the 10% of the time that a somewhat bigger bed makes a "big" difference. One reason they (some of them) bought a truck instead of an SUV - flexibility. Time will tell if the bed extension is workable.

For me, I think it will be fine.

flabyboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6
Occupation
Health Care
Im in MN and would say the majority of the trucks I see are for the utility. That being said, I don’t think many people around here will replace their Chevy or Ford with a Rivian. Too much brand loyalty and misguided information on EVs in general. I’m not in a progressive area
Sponsored