First Name
Kevan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 Performance
Occupation
Head of Product
Well, I don’t know about you guys but tonight this thread gave me one new person to add to my block list ?
Sponsored

SteveInBend

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 El Cap R1T
Occupation
Retired
Agree. I use RainX and I don't feel the need to use my wipers maybe 75% of the time. Visibility is fine.
What's this thing you call "rain"? My wipers are used to clean dust off the windshield.

eggpaul

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Chevy Volt, 2021 Acura TLX
Occupation
Business Owner
Couple that with the fact that it won't (easily) be user removable, and it is a tough choice.
True. CS told me a while back their techs would have to remove it. Hopefully during test drives we can see both options.

twinprice

First Name
Winston
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yukon XL Denali, Tesla Model Y, and LE RS1 - Hopefully!
Clubs

Well, I don’t know about you guys but tonight this thread gave me one new person to add to my block list ?
So true! I’m so tired of the negativity just to be negative!

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
This lack of enthusiasm is not at all what I wanted to see. I know if I were RJ, I would be pissed.
I'd bet $1000 that RJ could care less about the number of views. From everything I have read about him, It's something that's not on his radar, nor should it be at this point.

Sponsored

Jamuso

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ridgeline
Occupation
Sr software engineer - manager
1. 56k pre-orders in mid-2020
2. Google alerts. InsideEV’s. Electrek. YouTube topic subscription. EV podcasts. I personally became aware of the video from scrolling on my Google feed (if you are an Android user, you know)
3. Maybe. How many pre-order holders give $1000 toward a purchase that can exceed 110k, wait years for the purchase, and not show enough excitement to muster up the 14 minutes to watch the first video review of the Rivian vehicles? These people exist, but how many

Considering how popular the Model S was, I would expect similar demand for the first large, practical, vehicle in one of the most popular vehicle classes in USA today. There should be people chomping at the bit - for an EV that can tow, carry, stow, haul, off-road all the things that a Tesla can’t. It is probably the first warning sign that F150 Lightning EV and Hummer EV are posing serious competition for buyers in this category. Not even bringing up Q4 Etron since you can’t even pre-order one yet. Even if I were an ID4 customer, I would be watching the R1T MotorTrend vehicle.

This lack of enthusiasm is not at all what I wanted to see. I know if I were RJ, I would be pissed.
And that is why RJ is the CEO of Rivian, and you're here trolling day in and day out.

protamine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LG R1S, 992 GTS
Occupation
CT Surgery
I would have went with Marquees Brownlee or Doug Demuro. They both will let brands provide....editorial guidance and direction.

So they will gloss off the imperfections; highlight the strengths - which is what a brand is going to want before letting Rich Rebuilds completely tear apart the vehicle.

As much as I love Doug, he is NOT the guy to give the prepro vehicle to. He wouldn't gloss the imperfections, he'd hammer them for 38 minutes. You give Doug the most perfect one on day one. His driving is only 2-3 min of the video.

For the doug score, I'll guess

Weekend

Styling: good not great, neat but not for everyone - 5
Accel: 0-60 is 3.0 fantastic for class and get a - 9
Handling: excellent for its class and gets a 5
Fun factor is excellent given offroad and accel and gets a 8
Cool Factor- for those who know what it is they'll love it but the average person doesnt but its an important and it gets a 6

Weekend score: 33

Daily

Features: missing massage and electrochromatic but otherwise well equipped and gets a 7
Comfort: excellent seats and air suspension and gets a 7
Quality: too soon to tell but seems well put together 6
Pracitcality: 5 seats only but gear tunnel and frunk and truck, but range limited 9
Value: first electric truck, great performance and engineering but hard to assess, still 70-80k 7

Daily: 36

Total 69/100

Would be the highest scoring truck ever.

Cassidy_DM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda6
Occupation
Space
As much as I love Doug, he is NOT the guy to give the prepro vehicle to. He wouldn't gloss the imperfections, he'd hammer them for 38 minutes. You give Doug the most perfect one on day one. His driving is only 2-3 min of the video.

For the doug score, I'll guess

Weekend

Styling: good not great, neat but not for everyone - 5
Accel: 0-60 is 3.0 fantastic for class and get a - 9
Handling: excellent for its class and gets a 5
Fun factor is excellent given offroad and accel and gets a 8
Cool Factor- for those who know what it is they'll love it but the average person doesnt but its an important and it gets a 6

Weekend score: 33

Daily

Features: missing massage and electrochromatic but otherwise well equipped and gets a 7
Comfort: excellent seats and air suspension and gets a 7
Quality: too soon to tell but seems well put together 6
Pracitcality: 5 seats only but gear tunnel and frunk and truck, but range limited 9
Value: first electric truck, great performance and engineering but hard to assess, still 70-80k 7

Daily: 36

Total 69/100

Would be the highest scoring truck ever.
I read that in Doug's voice. Spot on with his speaking mannerisms.

R_1_T

First Name
Lars
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2&4-wheeled
I'd bet $1000 that RJ could care less about the number of views. From everything I have read about him, It's something that's not on his radar, nor should it be at this point.
RJ isn't a cult leader like Musk either. If it's not obvious these two operate very differently, then you haven't been paying attention. While the pickup truck market is the largest vehicle segment in the US, it's also the toughest one to crack - just ask Toyota & Nissan about their full size entries and limited success.

From a distance, Rivian is approaching the launch with a Nail It/Scale It strategy.
- Nail/perfect the product quality though extensive test and process refinement
- Scale up manufacturing ONLY once you've achieved the above

I'm willing to bet that you aren't going to find the type of quality issues that plagued the various Tesla launches.

ruawahoo2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Palisade and CX-5
I wonder if the MT exclusive is less for purchasing PR than for the IPO PR: a reputable source well-known in the industry that raves about the pre-production product. Rivian’s base product (for now) is the delivery van with 100,000 ordered. That’s the floor. The near-term ceiling is what happens with the R1T and the R1S over the next 24-36 months. Since significant produced volume in these product lines isn’t expected before the IPO, Rivian needs to show a strong likelihood that demand and production for these vehicles will be very high. With a title like what MT chose, Rivian moved the needle in that direction, with a preproduction model no less. I think we see the real blitz of production reviews hit in later October that grow vehicle orders.

Sponsored

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
I wonder if the MT exclusive is less for purchasing PR than for the IPO PR: a reputable source well-known in the industry that raves about the pre-production product. Rivian’s base product (for now) is the delivery van with 100,000 ordered. That’s the floor. The near-term ceiling is what happens with the R1T and the R1S over the next 24-36 months. Since significant produced volume in these product lines isn’t expected before the IPO, Rivian needs to show a strong likelihood that demand and production for these vehicles will be very high. With a title like what MT chose, Rivian moved the needle in that direction, with a preproduction model no less. I think we see the real blitz of production reviews hit in later October that grow vehicle orders.
That's why I think the September drive events are where they are too.

Riventures

First Name
Ft
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
eTron GT
Occupation
Management Consultant
RJ isn't a cult leader like Musk either. If it's not obvious these two operate very differently, then you haven't been paying attention. While the pickup truck market is the largest vehicle segment in the US, it's also the toughest one to crack - just ask Toyota & Nissan about their full size entries and limited success.
I think you make some good points; however, I am not sure you got the target buyer segment correctly.

Although I agree the pickup market is very difficult to crack, I do not believe the R1T is in competition with traditional pickups from the big 3 (or 5 depending on how you target). The R1T is not a work truck, so I don't think it is competing with the F150 Lightning for example.

The buyers of R1T, at least from simplistic impressions on this board, seem to be people who will replace their SUVs or crossovers with something "different" and that does not look like a work truck. R1T buyer is far less concerned about payload, utility, towing ability, etc. than wheel design, 0-60 performance, infotainment, etc.

For example, a buyer of a RAM 1500 PowerWagon or even TRX is not interested in the R1T. They don't see the R1T as a serious 'truck,' they actually ignore it. They want to drive the 'big boy' trucks, which I still haven't figured out what it actually means.

So, I believe the R1T is creating its own segment, competing with CyberTruck, and not just because they are EVs, but more about the intended use of those.

electrictaco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
That's why I think the September drive events are where they are too.
Not sure I agree. If resources were limited and I had to pick three cities to start holding driver events then SF, LA, and NYC would be easy picks based on assumed density of pre-orders and level of EV adoption in the market. No reason to pick Denver and Seattle just because they’re “more outdoorsy”.

Off topic but IMO San Francisco is the ultimate outdoor city. The city is a true city and on any given morning you could go surfing or biking before work and on weekends you are 3hrs from skiing or truly out there wilderness.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Not sure I agree. If resources were limited and I had to pick three cities to start holding driver events then SF, LA, and NYC would be easy picks based on assumed density of pre-orders and level of EV adoption in the market. No reason to pick Denver and Seattle just because they’re “more outdoorsy”.

Off topic but IMO San Francisco is the ultimate outdoor city. The city is a true city and on any given morning you could go surfing or biking before work and on weekends you are 3hrs from skiing or truly out there wilderness.
If resources are limited I can see it being the first 3. But what are the limited resources here? It's what... A handful of trucks shipped to the same location at the same time? They should be able to make all of the first drive event trucks in a day or two for 3 to 6 cities. I don't take issue with not starting with Seattle or Denver because of they're "outdoorsy", it's mostly based on their previous communication. There seems to have been an audible there for Detroit, Chicago, and Seattle (which is ok). Denver never was on that initial list, so it doesn't surprise me that it's not now.

And to clarify, I dint think that ginning up interest for an IPO by making sure the media and financial centers (and their reservation holders) is a bad thing. Maybe it has nothing to do with the IPO. Just a bunch though.

MReda

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi S4, Lexus LX470
I think you make some good points; however, I am not sure you got the target buyer segment correctly.

Although I agree the pickup market is very difficult to crack, I do not believe the R1T is in competition with traditional pickups from the big 3 (or 5 depending on how you target). The R1T is not a work truck, so I don't think it is competing with the F150 Lightning for example.

The buyers of R1T, at least from simplistic impressions on this board, seem to be people who will replace their SUVs or crossovers with something "different" and that does not look like a work truck. R1T buyer is far less concerned about payload, utility, towing ability, etc. than wheel design, 0-60 performance, infotainment, etc.

For example, a buyer of a RAM 1500 PowerWagon or even TRX is not interested in the R1T. They don't see the R1T as a serious 'truck,' they actually ignore it. They want to drive the 'big boy' trucks, which I still haven't figured out what it actually means.

So, I believe the R1T is creating its own segment, competing with CyberTruck, and not just because they are EVs, but more about the intended use of those.
Most full size truck buyers don't care about owning a work truck. Sales figures and demographics make that pretty clear.

My "plan b" vehicle is the RAM Powerwagon (which is a 2500, not a 1500), and I'd be surprised to learn I'm the only one.
Sponsored