DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

@DuckTruck, can you comment on the back seats since you have actually experienced the truck?
I remember them as being roomy enough for four full-sized adults for our purposes, but not as much leg room as a full-sized (read F150) of course. Once you get used to the fully-adjustable front seats of the R1T, the fixed-back rear seats will never feel as good.

These are real seats, though. They aren't the abbreviated back bench of the crew-cab, or whatever Ford calls that shorter cab version of their five-seater F150. For kids, they should be just fine. For four of us, with the back center console down, It was quite comfortable for our short journeys. As with most rear seats, with five people, that middle position is generally relegated to the shortest person, or the one who drew the short straw. Either way, they won't be happy, but they never are.

You're never gonna get the starting five of the Lakers in there for a cross-country journey, but I'd pay to watch that film. ?
Sponsored

RivianBowerbird

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I did not hear anything about voice control...seems like a lot of the UI could be fairly intuitive voice control-wise (Alexa?). Has Rivian mentioned voice control? Seems missing from this Motortrend review if so...
From an e-mail someone here got from a guide:

"Regarding HomeLink, we will have Alexa integration. Our Alexa functionality is different because in a Rivian, Alexa can control physical vehicle functions such as HVAC, windows, opening and closing the front trunk, and more. Users will be able to check on their gear remotely by accessing the vehicle’s bed camera from anywhere via Alexa Fire.

The integration also allows Rivian to provide new “car-to-home” and “home-to-car” skills unique to its vehicles, as well as access to certain Alexa features when the vehicle is offline. An example: “Alexa, is my Rivian charging?”

NooterIA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
was a 2019 Ram
Occupation
IT Stuff
I for one am happy to see the darker roof as I've never really been a sunroof guy (totally repect those that are though). This has been #1 on my gripe list since I heard they weren't going to do the chromospheric (or whatever that term is :CWL:) style and its always looked as just plain glass up there. Sure hoping to get an invite to Normal so I can look at things closer. As someone coming from a full-size Ram with a ridiculous amount of space back there, I'm also concerned about some of the opinions stating things might be tight.

Awesome news about the 2 wheel drive mode and it being front-wheel drive when on!

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

THE FORCE!!
Regarding torque-vectoring, one of the most memorable experiences in my ride-along with RJ was him carving through the 20 MPH turns at much faster than that, and noticing the neutral effect in the steering. I enjoyed it so much, I did it the next day. It's important to keep in mind that all of our driving and playing was done on the A/T tires. They are so amazing, but the Rivian helped make them so.

You really get a sense that the car is going exactly where you point it - at all times, except, and thankfully, in Drift Mode. In either Rally or Sport mode, I hit those corners at speed and found no understeer or oversteer (and also negligible body roll). It was almost as enjoyable as hitting 130 on the home straightway. Almost.... ?

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

Great to read this article. Was there any mention of the Meridian audio system? I'm trying to get more info about whether the additional $5k might be worth it or if I should plan to upgrade the audio myself.
After hearing it in person, I think you'd be hard pressed to improve on it, at any cost. Also, with the integration of everything, I'd be reluctant to even try. Depending on where you live and play, I wouldn't want to give up the ventilated front seats of the Launch/Adventure package (or any of the other goodies) either. It was really nice to flip the switch and have the heat of the Midwest disappear in moments.

Sponsored

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

A man after my own heart! Multi-channel audio decoding would be awesome. The big thing for me will be solid bass.
I thought the bass was impressive. The subwoofer, low and in the back, was fairly clean, and not boomy. I say fairly clean, only because my youth was spent attending every concert I could find and blasting my car stereo and home speakers at every opportunity. There's a reason people like Pete Townsend are essentially deaf.

I think once you hear it in person, you will love it. That is, as long as it gives you the options that you seek to play other media.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Think for a second about how impractical it'd be to have the frunk lined with plush carpet and polished metal. For an adventure vehicle where you're going to be loading things into it that might not always be grocery bags, it just makes sense to use more rugged materials. Imagine putting muddy boots into the frunk and getting that carpet dirty instantly.
That's a Chilewich frunk mat, not plush carpet. As with the interior Chilewich floor mats, just take it out and hose it off.

Gdorff

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Audi RS5
Occupation
Business owner / CIO
Remember when the Frunk actually looked like it belonged in an $80K vehicle and had lights and hooks and carpet? I do.

1630513497578.png

It's disappointing how exceptionally cheap certain aspects of the vehicle have become.
Yeah it looks a lot cheaper in this review model.. same with the gear tunnel it used to look amazing I really hope this cost cutting stop's honestly I'd have rather paid another 2k and had all the polish and finish

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

OMG! That Image is hilarious! I love it! It’s my new avatar.
I noticed that a lot of those images looked like they come from South Park. It puts a smile on my face every time. Of course, that smiles been there for quite some time already. ?

Sponsored

protamine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LG R1S, 992 GTS
Occupation
CT Surgery
I'm sure they figured out that "hey, its just a storage space" and instead made it a bit cheaper and allocated the money somewhere else that needed it more.

Its like it was originally announced as a 100k+ vehicle and now its a 70-80k vehicle...

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

That's a Chilewich frunk mat, not plush carpet. As with the interior Chilewich floor mats, just take it out and hose it off.
I know some people here who would love their entire wardrobe to be made out of Chiliwich. You know who you are! ?

PastyPilgrim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T

"Regarding HomeLink, we will have Alexa integration. Our Alexa functionality is different because in a Rivian, Alexa can control physical vehicle functions such as HVAC, windows, opening and closing the front trunk, and more. Users will be able to check on their gear remotely by accessing the vehicle’s bed camera from anywhere via Alexa Fire.

The integration also allows Rivian to provide new “car-to-home” and “home-to-car” skills unique to its vehicles, as well as access to certain Alexa features when the vehicle is offline. An example: “Alexa, is my Rivian charging?”
Phew, for a second I was worried that Amazon wouldn't have physical access to my vehicle!

A couple of years ago they were demo-ing a new feature where they'd have people deliver packages inside your vehicle (e.g. while you're parked at work, etc.) and I definitely didn't care for that either!

On the plus side, I just spoke to CS and they've said that Alexa/Amazon integration can be entirely disabled, so that's nice. They wouldn't address configuring or disabling Rivian's own access to your vehicle (telemetrics, cameras, etc.) though. Sounds like that's out.

superfluid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Kia Telluride
Occupation
Tech
I thought the bass was impressive. The subwoofer, low and in the back, was fairly clean, and not boomy. I say fairly clean, only because my youth was spent attending every concert I could find and blasting my car stereo and home speakers at every opportunity. There's a reason people like Pete Townsend are essentially deaf.

I think once you hear it in person, you will love it. That is, as long as it gives you the options that you seek to play other media.
Great info, thanks. You make a good point about messing around with the integration of the sound system into the Rivian platform. I'm used to cars that have essentially useless integrations, like the old OEM nav systems that you have to update by buying a CD and loading it =D

Gdorff

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Audi RS5
Occupation
Business owner / CIO

Yeah that was my conversation with my guide.. I was asking about illumination and home link capability for garage doors and gates
Sponsored