Sponsored

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
I believe you can tap the right stalk down twice to get cruise control / Driver+.

And MT mentioned that the left steering wheel buttons and scroll wheel default to volume and track back/forward.
Sponsored

AdamsFan1983

First Name
Silence Dogood
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE in GW
Occupation
Public Relations
Maybe I’m crazy, and a bit naive but personally I think it’s a bit silly for a review to get into critiques of things like lack of physical buttons.

Again, imho this simply boils down to Rivians’s design aesthetic, admittedly very similar to Tesla’s. —you either like it or not.

I think it’s incumbent on a publication like motor-trend to focus its review on the execution of the product, as presented, and let people decide the merits of stylistic flourishes for themselves.

Anyways, it was still a welcome read and very encouraging. Hard to argue with a headline like that.

aw113sgte

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 R1t
Maybe I’m crazy, and a bit naive but personally I think it’s a bit silly for a review to get into critiques of things like lack of physical buttons.

Again, imho this simply boils down to Rivians’s design aesthetic, admittedly very similar to Tesla’s. —you either like it or not.

I think it’s incumbent on a publication like motor-trend to focus its review on the execution of the product, as presented, and let people decide the merits of stylistic flourishes for themselves.

Anyways, it was still a welcome read and very encouraging. Hard to argue with a headline like that.
I personally hate touch screens in cars. Even on the ones with dedicated capacitive buttons because there is no tactile feedback.
I understand there is a huge advantage from an update perspective, but so far I have not used one that worked better than good old switches.

hola29

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
I would love to use Alexa as much as possible and keep eyes on road/hands on wheel. Of course we'll have to see if it works well...

I personally hate touch screens in cars. Even on the ones with dedicated capacitive buttons because there is no tactile feedback.
I understand there is a huge advantage from an update perspective, but so far I have not used one that worked better than good old switches.

Sponsored

nukem384

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3/Rivian R1S
That's the only thing that I found to be new that I noticed.
Really like this feature! It'll be great for us when we have to drive clear across California to SD to visit the in laws. The wife hates to stop to fuel up where as I don't mind as much.

nukem384

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3/Rivian R1S
Nice to see how it flips up though, so you can have 2 layers of bags.

2022-Rivian-R1T-31.jpg
That is really cool! I got all confused cause I saw the 2nd picture first and thought in the 1st picture, "I remember there being a lot more space than that?". That frunk is super deep! So much deeper (and wider with more usable space) than the Tesla frunks for sure!

OP
OP
kanundrum

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

Full Size Pics Updated in OP of vehicle article, BT and Tire Changing.

Last edited:

nukem384

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3/Rivian R1S
News to me, as well.

We've seen pictures referencing 2WD, but there was speculation that may have been the software supporting the Amazon vans, or for potential expansion to less expensive models, in the future... However, it seems the AWD vehicles will be able to toggle between the configs -- nice.

I wonder what the efficiency difference is between AWD and RWD? And which mode will EPA estimates be made in?
If they are saying 300+ miles for the large pack, considering the market these cars are geared towards, those prelim EPA estimates they have on the web site have to be AWD. You'd seriously piss off everyone if they have been all sneaky about that and not mention those estimates were with 2 wheels running until now. Also, MT mentioned in the article that running in "conserve" mode would be more efficient, leading me to believe that my guess is right and that the EPA estimates were done with AWD.

nukem384

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3/Rivian R1S
1630433636879.png

This is interesting.
  1. I read this as 301 mile "rated" range. Would have loved more out of that "+", but this is fine. Wonder if it takes tires and settings into account for the display range. (I only show % SoC on Tesla because the range estimate is useless without those factors included.)
  2. I'm curious if this is "300 miles in Conserve mode with 2WD on and no A/C" or if that stretches out a few more miles. Hopefully the latter - I assume EPA cycles don't use funky range extender modes.
  3. Surprised that "Daily" is well below 70% SoC when Tesla recommends 80-90% and Elon has talked often about diminishing returns in <90% daily charging. Neither here nor there but it's interesting.
1. Could also be that the car has some degradation already. We don't know how long their test vehicle has been in service and the highest degradation happens in the first year. Also, as with Tesla's, the mileage remaining you're seeing on the screen is based off an algorithm. Basically, the computer is guessing a remaining mileage number which isn't exactly accurate compared to a % number.
3. I remember Elon saying that around 50% is the el premo SOC to be at if you don't need the range. But eh, anywhere from 50%-90% IMO I think is fine, based on what you're comfortable with and what you need.

Sponsored

Sean

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T!
Clubs

If they are saying 300+ miles for the large pack, considering the market these cars are geared towards, those prelim EPA estimates they have on the web site have to be AWD. You'd seriously piss off everyone if they have been all sneaky about that and not mention those estimates were with 2 wheels running until now. Also, MT mentioned in the article that running in "conserve" mode would be more efficient, leading me to believe that my guess is right and that the EPA estimates were done with AWD.
Would be quite a nice surprise if range estimates were AWD and conserve mode takes you some measurable distance further. Will be interesting to hear the results of highway tests of this.

hola29

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Commuting, puttering around town, long boring drives why would you not always be in 2wd? A whole lot of cars are, and people seem to like them for those purposes...

Would be quite a nice surprise if range estimates were AWD and conserve mode takes you some measurable distance further. Will be interesting to hear the results of highway tests of this.

electrictaco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Could also be that the car has some degradation already. We don't know how long their test vehicle has been in service and the highest degradation happens in the first year.
Odometer at 2,979

Rivian R1T R1S Motor Trend Review: The 2022 Rivian R1T Is the Most Remarkable Pickup We’ve Ever Driven Screen Shot 2021-08-31 at 9.00.34 PM

Sean

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T!
Clubs

Commuting, puttering around town, long boring drives why would you not always be in 2wd? A whole lot of cars are, and people seem to like them for those purposes...
lots of reasons, lol. Like 0-60 in 3 seconds. While there will be lots of around town driving I would never call it puttering in the Rivian.

Besides, with electric, unless I'm road tripping, I'm not super concerned with efficient driving anymore.

hola29

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Haha...I get it. Looking forward to 800hp, but I am seriously considering a used golf cart for around town missions w/ short, flip-flops, and coffee in hand...I guess I like the putter vibe sometimes too :)

lots of reasons, lol. Like 0-60 in 3 seconds. While there will be lots of around town driving I would never call it puttering in the Rivian.

Besides, with electric, unless I'm road tripping, I'm not super concerned with efficient driving anymore.
Sponsored